Rubicon Owners Forum banner

61 - 80 of 94 Posts

·
Registered
2,396 Posts
Yes it's spooled with 4 wheel steer in rear wheel drive only. Still learning how to drive it as this was the first time the tires have touched the ground.

No learning with a spool, it's going to do it's thing. LOL I had a spool in one of my old cars. Chirping everytime I turned a corner, slower was better but as long as there was traction under the wheel it chirped, in your case skipping with those tires. I liked my spool though there was no question as to whether it was going to lock, it was always locked. Great for drag racing.
Once you get the beast in dirt you likely won't even notice it.

·
Registered
2,948 Posts
Discussion Starter #62
New correct Griffin Racing Radiator installed with the Goatbuilt grill hoop. Everything is protected, just need to finalize the upper radiator hold down that will help seal the shroud. Trying to brainstorm a way to add some 7/8 heims for spares with it, but had to go to work. Lower radiator means better lines for the hood too.

·
Registered
2,948 Posts
Discussion Starter #68
Shakedown run was a disaster. Ripped a new 3/4 x 3/4 rear steer heim in half, transmission lost reverse and the fan rubbed a hole in the radiator. Got it torn apart, did a lot of grinding on the steering arms and almost had a new trans, but all 3 at the junkyard were the early 4l80 with the wrong tailshaft.

·
Administrator
10,835 Posts
Yikes :surprise:. Were those local junkyards you checked or did they look nationwide?

·
3,465 Posts
What caused the heim failure?

·
Registered
2,396 Posts
Local junkyard I buy everything from. Tempted to pull the LS1 and go back to a SC3800. I prefer the low end torque and they're much easier to package.

Put a different cam in the motor to give ya more low end torque, then all ya have to do is re-program the computer, or am having a pipe dream?

·
Registered
395 Posts
Depending on what year that LS motor is if you decide you don't want it anymore I know a guy local to you that'll help take it off your hands ? .

I'd love to come see your buggy in person.
HaHa, I was going to offer to take it off his hands as well.
Of course me not being local would keep him from seeing it and having remorse.
I'd promise not to post about it as well.:laugh2:

·
Registered
2,948 Posts
Discussion Starter #79
I've had a few questions about my fix, so I figured I'd post a couple pics to help someone. Having just ripped a 3/4 heim in half I figured I would share what I learned this weekend. Trail Gear 3.5 9" housing using 05+ Superduty Cs and outers with stock Spicer 1550 shafts and a PSC 2.5x10 ram.

I ground the back side stops flush with the knuckle until I just had daylight between the caliper and shock. If you inboard the shock more, you could probably grind some more.

I ground about 1/2" off the lower steering arm of the JHF kit until there was barely daylight at full lock.

·
Registered
2,948 Posts
Discussion Starter #80
Depending on what year that LS motor is if you decide you don't want it anymore I know a guy local to you that'll help take it off your hands ? .

I'd love to come see your buggy in person.
99 LS1 from a Corvette

You're welcome to come over whenever, but it's in peices for now. Lol

61 - 80 of 94 Posts