Rubicon Owners Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Because I have an addiction to LED lights, I finally decided my Jeep needed some LED Headlight. I haven't gotten them both installed, just one so far because I wanted to do a side by side comparison. They are very impressive lights!

They don't dazzle or blind oncoming drivers like an HID light can do when installed in an H4 housing, which I had on my TJ for several years, and I could never get them adjusted to give a proper spread of light.

They are a direct replacement for the 7" round headlight in a TJ or JK, though they aren't cheap.

Truck Lite originally developed an LED headlight for the US Military, in a 24v version. Market demands led them to develop a 12v version. They are on the cutting edge of "Forward Lighting" for vehicles.

This is their newest version, which employs two LEDs - one for high beam and one for low beam. Instead of relying on the lens for focusing the light pattern like previous LED headlights, this new version relies on the REFLECTOR to focus the beam, and a fine job it does!!

http://www.overland-gear.com/Truck-Lite ... _p_83.html

Scroll down the page to view a video.

Here's a daytime comparison:

The smoked, or black appearance is not because the lens is smoked, nor is the reflector smoked. There's a large divider in the middle of the housing, which holds the two LEDs, it's BLACK, so the smoked appearance is caused by the reflection of that divider in the reflector.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This picture is with both lights on. You can see how the LED headlight has close in lighting as well as at a distance.

To get the same effect with a JK running stock headlights, you'd have to turn on the OEM foglights too.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This is with the LED headlight uncovered and the stock headlight covered up. I'm not the greatest night-time photographer, though the exposure settings were the same for both pics.

·
3,369 Posts
gregert12 said:
I like the LED lighting, what a difference compared to stock :D
Xs2. I like them as well, but have been a bit more partial to the appearance of the first ones I ever saw which had (8 maybe) separate large LED bulbs with a clear lens. But that is just my preference in appearance, not sure there is any difference in performance. Long life span (usually) and less draw are 2 other big factors why I like them.

·
Registered
977 Posts
My buddy has a set of the first generation LED headlamps. They are amazing. The pure white light makes a big difference. We moded his to run the low beam when the high beams are on. It's insanely bright! The cost is the killer!
I'll get a set when the price finally drops down around $300-350. $500 is a bit steep right now!

·
3,369 Posts
GREASEMONKEY said:
My buddy has a set of the first generation LED headlamps. They are amazing. The pure white light makes a big difference. We moded his to run the low beam when the high beams are on. It's insanely bright! The cost is the killer!
I'll get a set when the price finally drops down around $300-350. $500 is a bit steep right now!
Have you checked lately? I haven't, but last time I ran across a set of first gens somewhere they had dropped a LOT!! Like 300ish range. The ones LEDTrailerLights has on here are $299.

·
Premium Member
948 Posts
That is 299$ each headlight? Any long term reviews on these? Glass housings?

Looks like a nice upgrade in my future, depending on price.

·
Registered
173 Posts
I picked up the first gen Truck-Lites a few months ago at $179 each. They do make a big difference!

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It's "price each".

They have a plastic lens.

I've been running them since August. They are very nice lights, but I honestly can't recommend them if you do a lot of night time driving in wet snow-storm conditions because they don't generate enough heat to melt any wet slushy snow that sticks to every forward surface of a vehicle while driving.

Dry snow in cold temps, probably not an issue because cold / dry snow doesn't seem to accumulate on the front of a vehicle as much as wet (Western Washington style) snow does.

·
Registered
173 Posts
LEDTrailerLights said:
They are very nice lights, but I honestly can't recommend them if you do a lot of night time driving in wet snow-storm conditions because they don't generate enough heat to melt any wet slushy snow that sticks to every forward surface of a vehicle while driving.

Dry snow in cold temps, probably not an issue because cold / dry snow doesn't seem to accumulate on the front of a vehicle as much as wet (Western Washington style) snow does.
LEDs don't generate heat, so snow is a problem. Local road departments around here found out the hard way when they changed the traffic signals to LEDs and the first windy snowstorm occurred! Wound up sending local FDs to blast the snow off with fire hoses, which, of course, caused a whole different set of problems....

1 - 14 of 14 Posts