Rubicon Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
765 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased a Yellow Box Speedometer recalibrator and need a little help. I mounted the Yellow Box behind the glove box and I want to tie the wires in somewhere near the computer. It looks like there are massive amounts of wires in what looks like several different harnesses going to the computer. Which one houses the speedo sensor wires. I just hate the thought of cutting everything open and putting on the search if this has already been done and I'm the only one that doesn't know where to look :roll:.

·
Jeepless in PA
12,587 Posts
There was a post from last week that had the color coding and the poster said the same color wires at the tcase are also behind the glovebox. I forget the combination but will look for you.

·
Premium Member
765 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That would be great if I can get to the wires right behind the glove box. Any help with that would be great. Thanks.

·
Jeepless in PA
12,587 Posts
warsw said:
That would be great if I can get to the wires right behind the glove box. Any help with that would be great. Thanks.

Here is a post from Shawn about installing a truespeed and the wire color:

http://www.rubiconownersforum.com/p...45&p=744634&hilit=output+speed+sensor#p744634

I have an early 2004 model and the speed sensor wire was
white/orange stripe and was on the middle plug of the computer.

The instructions said to locate the speed sensor wire at the transfer case, cut it, strip it,
and connect the green wire on the plug side and the yellow wire on the harness side.

This means the green wire is the input from the sensor and the
yellow wire is the output from the module to the jeep's PCM.

So, if you are tying in to the line from the sensor up by the PCM like I did,
the yellow wire is still the output but now it gets connected "on the plug side"
and the green is still the input but it is connected "on the wire harness side".

The green wire goes on the up-stream side and the yellow wire
goes on the down-stream side, regardless.

·
Premium Member
1,184 Posts
Here is a pic of where I connected

·
Premium Member
765 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
This is great stuff and a BIG help. I'm going to give it a go tomorrow morning. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
765 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Got her done. Works great. What a fun little gadget. My speedo has never been this close to accurate sense new.
Thanks for the help guys.

One question. When I first installed the box I set it up so it was about 10% slow. My thoughts were to try to get back some of the miles I lost. When I did this it seemed like I lost some power :eek: . My jeep ran OK it just seemed a little sluggish. When I set it to where it should be, the power seemed to come back. Was this just my imagination or is the computer doing something with the speed input that might cause this :? ?

·
Premium Member
3,178 Posts
I am thinking that the "brain" is reacting to what input it is getting, concerning speed, and adjusting all the other "magic stuff" accordingly. I've read where some people notice that their automatic trannys shift better, once the speed is corrected. I was well out of warranty and over 100K when, I installed my yellow box and I didn't notice any dramatic changes.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts