Rubicon Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been wanting this kit for years, bit never had enough $$$. Well, I finally have enough money saved, but it is becoming impossible to find the kit.

I'm open buying someone's take off.

·
Registered
209 Posts
For the same $ you can get a much better suspension kit.
I've had one and a RK LA kit...huge difference the RK is better in every respect.

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
I've been wanting this kit for years, bit never had enough $$$. Well, I finally have enough money saved, but it is becoming impossible to find the kit.

I'm open buying someone's take off.

While I understand the feeling of nostalgia, I think you should consider there is no support for the suspension, if anything fails or breaks you are pretty much on your own, the design although a very good one is now several years old, there are new systems out there with recent R&D efforts which are as good if not better.

·
Registered
301 Posts
^^Nostalgia? Torque arm, high clearance arms, tummy tucked, radius arms that have minimum bind, no body lift needed and uses bushings that survive. Jim Frens had a great design that was years ahead of it's time and hasn't been copied.

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
As I said it is a very good design, no argument there. Was the design years ahead of it's time? yes, but how many years? and how many years have gone by?
Have you looked at some of the new suspensions out there? Like the Savvy Mid arm suspension or the Metalcloack long arm?
I used to think there was no better suspension, and it was my first choice when I first bought my TJ, but even then availability and support was scarce. If I had one I would keep it, but with their current state of business I wouldn't turn to it for a new build.

·
Premium Member
1,543 Posts
It's a great lift. I bought my TJ Rubi new in '04 and started with a short arm lift (RE I think). It worked okay but I could feel every bump in the trail because of the inherent traits of a short arm. Upgraded to the Nth and am amazed to this day the the jeep just goes anywhere I point it. I just put a new front track bar on it (can't get them from Nth) and it turns out it's from a WJ !! Luckily, when Nth was still around, I bought extra small parts and hope the lift serves me until I retire the jeep (or it retires me). BUT - I agree with the posters above, who say don't buy an orphaned lift kit !!
Metalcloak comes to mind, but ask around and see what's best for you. mp

1 - 6 of 6 Posts