Rubicon Owners Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want a low mileage Auto-Trans for my 06 Rubi, it only has 32000 on it so I wouldn't be interested in a high mileage one that would most likely need to be gone through before installed also I need all the goodies to get it up and running as I have a 6 speed currently , shifter , boot and mount kits and such. If you have one or know the where-abouts of one please let me know thanks in advance for any info you can share with me. Thanks.......JON
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,924 Posts
Swapping might be a challenge since the 42RLE is also controlled by the ECM. (or is it called the PCM?)

A member here may still have one, though he doesn't frequent the board much anymore. Send a PM and maybe he will get an email notification that he has a new pm.

TAZ is his forum name. I think he lives in Vegas now.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
desertfox1 said:
Swapping might be a challenge since the 42RLE is also controlled by the ECM. (or is it called the PCM?)

A member here may still have one, though he doesn't frequent the board much anymore. Send a PM and maybe he will get an email notification that he has a new pm.

TAZ is his forum name. I think he lives in Vegas now.
Wow good info you have me second guessing my intel now, I was told all that had to be done was the ECU had to be flashed and it was up and running.....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
750 Posts
The wiring harnesses are different between the manual transmission and automatic Rubicons as well.

It might be best to swap in an AW4 out of a Cherokee. Hydraulic controlled with overdrive.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
31 Posts
Jon try Daveysjeep.com only part out jeeps, they have trans sometimes,have lots parts listed on their site maybe they can answer some of your question. good luck
 

·
Jeepless in PA
Joined
·
12,587 Posts
Also Rodney's Auto Parts in Dover, PA (outside of Carlisle)

3022B Carlisle Road
Dover, PA 17315

1-717-764-3120
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,924 Posts
WLKNTALL said:
Wow good info you have me second guessing my intel now, I was told all that had to be done was the ECU had to be flashed and it was up and running.....
That could be the case..... I really don't know.


hhhm.... that has me thinking. The ECU on 06 autos should have 4 connectors on it. I don't know how many plugs exist on a manual trans equipped rig. I believe the 4th plug goes to the trans.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
jimhat said:
tons easier to just swap in a AW4 from an XJ

plus it a much better and stronger trans than the 42RLE
Can you explain whats easier or shoot me a link to a swap......
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
750 Posts
WLKNTALL said:
jimhat said:
tons easier to just swap in a AW4 from an XJ

plus it a much better and stronger trans than the 42RLE
Can you explain whats easier or shoot me a link to a swap......

Here's a link: http://www.stu-offroad.com/engine/aw-4/aw-4-1.htm

The AW4 is controlled by a separate computer, so you wouldn't have to change alot of wiring or flash the PCM. The Cherokee AW4 has the correct bolt patterns to match up to the 4.0L and the transfer case.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
HoJoPo said:
WLKNTALL said:
jimhat said:
tons easier to just swap in a AW4 from an XJ

plus it a much better and stronger trans than the 42RLE
Can you explain whats easier or shoot me a link to a swap......

Here's a link: http://www.stu-offroad.com/engine/aw-4/aw-4-1.htm

The AW4 is controlled by a separate computer, so you wouldn't have to change alot of wiring or flash the PCM. The Cherokee AW4 has the correct bolt patterns to match up to the 4.0L and the transfer case.
Man I really appreciate that link it answered alot of questions, now for the headache comparison factor......
 
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Top