Rubicon Owners Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Man, I started on my RE 4.5" SF SA kit yesterday at 11am, and just now got the rear to a point where I can measure for the custom rear DS.

I can only imagine how much longer the LA kit takes.

But man am I getting excited!!!!!!! I can feel the dark side Luke!!! lol

My digi camera has malfunctioned, so I was not able to take pics of the install, I hope to barrow somebodies to take some once it is all on.

We went ahead and welded the RE rear shock location brackets in, seemed straight forward, but there were no instructions with the brackets at all.

Any tips on them from others would be helpfull.

·
Registered
740 Posts
I hate you. :D

Spent all day installing the OBA.

The kilby kit is quite a kit. Bolts together with sheer precision....have bandaids on hand to repair the knuckles though.

LA kit is for another day...and thanks for the motivation Wrath! :D

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Ned said:
I hate you. :D

Spent all day installing the OBA.

The kilby kit is quite a kit. Bolts together with sheer precision....have bandaids on hand to repair the knuckles though.

LA kit is for another day...and thanks for the motivation Wrath! :D
There is something to be said about Mechanix gloves....Save many a sheet of skin... :D

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Busted knuckles? heck, I feel like I have been in a fight and [email protected][email protected][email protected]!

My shoulder feels like I threw it out of socket. I think I have slightly torn a Tendon in my other arm.

My neck is killing me, the rest of my body is way soar.

But I am smiling from ear to ear, I don't know how it will run yet, but dang is it high!!! The guy helping me is shocked at how high it is. Like we will have to air down the tires to get it out of his garage!!!!

Remember I left the 2"coil spacers on with the supposed 3.5" coils...
I put my 2" wheel spacers on too. Hopefully I will be pulling it into the alignment shop (Midas, 1 blk from where I work) on Wednessday morning.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Wrath I love that feeling all soar in the morning and can barley drag your self out of bed.. Get that first cup of coffee then go and look at what you've dont then your ready to finish the job!!!!! It always amazes me how the soarness goes away after a few minutes of looking at a job well done. (sorry for spelling)

Keep us updated Chaz

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Pics to come very soon, work said I could barrow their camera for an evening.

Prolly just some poser shots to start with. I hope to get it out and play at least a little this weekend....

I am still try'n to decide an "After new suspension) 1st trail.

Nothing to extreme, but something with at least some grocery getter stopping obsticles. lol

I kind of agree on the soarness, I can say one thing, the guy helping is a pro at this stuff, and he did virtually no wrenching, but more like held my hand through it all. It was real nice of him, and he didn't charge me much for all this. "he actually said if he wrenched through one more entire weekend his wife was sending him to the dog house permanently"

He had a lot of good things to say about RE's kit though. 4 other TJ owners that happend by yesterday said they were seriously considering different setups on their rig after see'n the Monster Rubi. I am crossing my fingers that all will run well, after see'n how rediculously high it was, I was told, I may need to install the T-Case drop kit afterall, but he also said, it is definetly a try it and see thing.

I went ahead and got the Monroe Steering Stabalizer, NAPA had it in stock, and it was only like $20. The guy helping me, wanted me to get a RANCHO for $40+, but after looking at the Monroe, he thought it a great bargain alternative that may actually be a tad better. So even a so-called pro at this stuff lives and learns, no matter how mcuh experience he or she for that matter may have.

Those new 3.5" kit coils when put next to the stock coils really were only an inch or so longer, another reason we were shocked at the end results.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
>Those new 3.5" kit coils when put next to the stock coils really were only >an inch or so longer, another reason we were shocked at the end results.
>

That line should have read a few inches or so higher.... Sorry bout that.

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
It is a good learning experience when you have expertise guiding you. Now you will know how everything fits and works and how to take it apart and fix it on the trail if something goes wrong.

Can't wait to see pix.

Cheers

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Not that it wasn't mentioned here......

But before I ever started installing my RE 4.5" SF kit, I took my Rubicon to a few custom DS shops here in denver, All three of them, looked up under the Rubicon and said no problem, we can build the custom CV shaft for x amount of dallars.

So I get my kit on right, take DS to the first place, and they said they can't build it, take it to two more places, and once again no go, can't build it. So today I order a Tom Woods shaft just as most have, but I probably won't have it til Tuesday.

It errrks me to no end, that the shops were mistaken and delayed getting my Rubicon back on the road a few extra days, to the point where I may have to cancel a planned trip to NM this weekend.

Ok vent over... I should a just ordered a Woody.... Ya live and learn, I suppose.

The reason I did not want to just order a woody, is that the shaft is a downgrade, somebody should get to work on a direct replacement shaft in the 3/4 ton flavor. But thankgoodness Tom Woods and his shop, have a solution period really.

·
Premium Member
3,745 Posts
Ned said:
Sorry, I didn't know you were shopping. Did you check out this driveshaft? It is supposed to be an upgrade from stock:

http://www.highangledriveline.com/2003_rubicon.htm

I don't know anything about them....does anybody here have experience with them?
I spoke to Jesse at HAD before I bought my TW DS. He has a unique solution, but you have to change the output flange on the T/C to accomodate his DS. I wanted to be able to reinstall the stock DS if I ever broke my CV shaft. And that DS will cost almost $500 when all is said and done. Sorry, too rich for my blood.

Jerry

·
Administrator
15,116 Posts
changing the output flange on the T/C
can be a real pita...ive read some had failures with the TC leaking
and had to have it redone.
Jerry is very correct...carry the stock shaft for a spare.
:wink:

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
I have done the conversion for my DS and I have had no problems. Very simple to take off the balancer and put on a fixed yoke. I can't believe the prices if DS in the US. I have a 3/4 ton shaft and the yoke (some machining needed ) for about $250 US. Nice thing if I have any problems it is local to fix...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts