Rubicon Owners Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,164 Posts
those are some awesome tools, thinking a mill would be a great addition.

I would say my favorite and or most used tool is my 3/8 Milwaukee Ratchet. One of these days I will get tow of them. That way I will always know where one of them is and the other will be lost in the last smart place I put it.

·
3,792 Posts
The whole COVID19 situation has severely delayed a planned build of a shop for me. Still may happen, but priorities have taken away from building it as soon. Those are some great tools to have. I'm interested in your opinion of what works best and what you would change. I have always thought that I want a tire changing machine since the shops love to scratch wheels.

·
Administrator
11,557 Posts
My two post lift is without a doubt the most valuable piece of equipment in the shop, I don't remember if you have one of those in your shop Don. I've used it to lift various things besides vehicles.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The whole COVID19 situation has severely delayed a planned build of a shop for me. Still may happen, but priorities have taken away from building it as soon. Those are some great tools to have. I'm interested in your opinion of what works best and what you would change. I have always thought that I want a tire changing machine since the shops love to scratch wheels.
I would not change anything...I think the lift is the most worthwhile at first...the rest of the stuff is mostly fabrication and such...I also have a woodworking area with jointer, planer, radial arm, table and panel saws...welding area with TIG and MIG systems...in a DIY part of this forum I showed a shop crane, rotator and shop press...fun collecting all this stuff and even more fun actually using it at one time or another, especially when you need to make something to keep a project going.

·
Sarcastic Moderator
14,332 Posts
Nice, still setting up my new garage, one side is wood working and the other is metal working. never enough room and I have 1550 square feet of floor.

Reactions: johncanfield

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Nice, still setting up my new garage, one side is wood working and the other is metal working. never enough room and I have 1550 square feet of floor.
Excellent, somehow metal and wood go together really well...good buddy of mine came up years back soon after my shop building went up and took a tour...then sold his house, moved out to NV near Las Vegas and built a 3500 SF shop...mine is 3000 and there is never enough room! My house is only about 1450 so you know where the priority is around here.

·
Administrator
11,557 Posts
My shop is 30x50 and about half of the floor space is dedicated to woodworking and the other half has the two post lift, press, metal lathe, and MIG/TIG/Plasma boxes. When planning the shop I was amazed at how much area stationary power tools take, especially the table saw (Jet cabinet saw) which has a 4x8 foot outfeed table. I needed 8' of space in front of the saw and of course enough room behind the saw to pull out the cut pieces. So basically the woodworking area was built out after the table saw install.

Reactions: Mouse

·
Sarcastic Moderator
14,332 Posts
I have to decide... i retire in 5 years and will sell the house and move west and get 50 acres in the country. So do I build a bigger shop now and lose money on it when I sell or wait and build a nicer shop at the new place?

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
My shop is 30x50 and about half of the floor space is dedicated to woodworking and the other half has the two post lift, press, metal lathe, and MIG/TIG/Plasma boxes. When planning the shop I was amazed at how much area stationary power tools take, especially the table saw (Jet cabinet saw) which has a 4x8 foot outfeed table. I needed 8' of space in front of the saw and of course enough room behind the saw to pull out the cut pieces. So basically the woodworking area was built out after the table saw install.
I have quite a bit of stuff on wheels...and the table saw is a small semi-portable...I built a fold-up panel saw to do the big sheets...all the wheeled and fold-up stuff leaves plenty of room for more stuff.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I have to decide... i retire in 5 years and will sell the house and move west and get 50 acres in the country. So do I build a bigger shop now and lose money on it when I sell or wait and build a nicer shop at the new place?
I waited until after I retired, then moved to 5 acres and built the big shop...you may not lose money when you sell and besides that you've had the use of it for however many years...

·
Premium Member
3,164 Posts
all my stuff, besides the new vise stand's, are on wheels. I re arrange the shop, ummm garage, all the time.

Even if I had a dedicated space, it would need to be quite large for me to make a final decision. Or I can't make decisions and like to move things around. Cleaning up is easier with wheels as well.

·
Registered
54 Posts
all my stuff, besides the new vise stand's, are on wheels. I re arrange the shop, ummm garage, all the time.

Even if I had a dedicated space, it would need to be quite large for me to make a final decision. Or I can't make decisions and like to move things around. Cleaning up is easier with wheels as well.
I bought a 40' shipping container for a woodshop in order to keep the sawdust separate from the welding sparks.

·
Administrator
11,557 Posts
We're about halfway between Fredericksburg and Junction on 30 acres, raw land around here was about $4-5K an acre (as you might imagine many factors determine the price per acre) a few years ago but now prices have dramatically increased. The roll of the dice is figuring if this is a temporary blip or permanent. Right now rural land around us is in extremely high demand, I've been getting phone calls and text messages from realtors asking if we want to sell - nope, no way.

Reactions: Mouse

·
Sarcastic Moderator
14,332 Posts
I know John, I was looking and should have bought, now it has doubled. Looking further north, around the Navasota and college station area.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts