Rubicon Owners Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Administrator
10,919 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
-- This is a project I posted on Welding Web a couple of years ago --

I have a fire lit under my butt to get my shop completely built-out while I am physically capable, it seems like two weeks ago (it's actually going on six or seven years) the moving van was unloading my shop goodies into my brand new metal 30'x50' shop.

Long on my shop to-do list was to build a vertical wood and steel stock storage rack, so I finally got busy, cleaned up the shop, made some storage rack plans and bought a bunch of square tube from a welding shop.

The design criteria were to minimize the rack foot print, hopefully make the rack self-supporting (I really don't want to tie it in to the sidewall girt), provide support for lumber and steel up to about 12-14' long overall, 4x8 plywood and shorter wood/steel cutoffs.

The structure is 10' high and about 10' long with the bottom leg of the triangle at 30". The right triangle is 2" square tube with 3/16" wall. Support arms are 1 1/2" square tube (3/16" wall),rod and flat bar. Having all the steel the same thickness makes welding so much simpler. I probably could have used 1 1/2" square tube instead of the 2" but since I'm not a mechanical engineer, I erred on the overbuilt side.

After 2 /12 days of work, I'm almost finished with the rack. Tomorrow I hope to get the last horizontal storage arms welded on and then figure out how to raise it to upright. This dude is heavy so I need to get the tractor involved, I'm thinking I'm going to have make a boom out of square tube for the loader bucket since the bucket isn't long enough to reach over the structure to raise it - should be interesting.

Attachments

·
Administrator
10,919 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Yea -got 'er done (except for plywood storage rollers)!

The three AC guys here helped me (actually I helped them) easily stand the rack upright - a major challenge out of the way. I immediately moved it into position (I welded 2" x 3/8" rod pieces for feet so it would slide easily) and started to load it up with lumber. Wow, it held all of my long lumber and steel (except for my 24' long square tube) and could hold five times as much lumber.

With the rack loaded up, it seems extremely stable. I tugged and tugged trying to pull it and it didn't move a millimeter, it seems like I got lucky with the design.

Attachments

·
Jeepless in PA
12,587 Posts
Nice design. do you have it attached to the shops support post to keep it from tipping over? I can see myself climbing it to reach the top shelf.

·
Premium Member
3,418 Posts
Really nice job John. If it were me I'd attach it to that horizontal wall support just to be on the safe side. You never know..........

·
Administrator
10,919 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys. I was planning on attaching it to the purlin but the rack is so stable, there's no need.

·
Premium Member
3,418 Posts
Thanks guys. I was planning on attaching it to the purlin but the rack is so stable, there's no need.
It doesn't appear that it would take that much work; and as my Dad still says "better safe than sorry"

·
Premium Member
2,460 Posts
Looking good! Wish I had that much space!
Used to a long, long, time ago...

All you need to do now is fill'er up!
:D

·
3,492 Posts
Nice job John!

·
Premium Member
5,182 Posts
JC --- I hate you! I hate you! I hate you!

I sold all my wood working equipment: the band saw, the table saw, the jigs, the router, the radial arm saw, the joiner, and all the small stuff to support those pieces. Your post makes me feel so lonesome now that all my friends are gone.:(:(:(:(

Phoenix rises. Well that is where I got my Masters so lets think of another euphemism.

I am going do some minor wood working up in the house-garage, but this shop is metal true and thru! With maybe a touch of oil and antifreeze and acetylene for essences. Anyone have an English wheel and 48 inch brake they want to donate? :evilbat:

·
Administrator
10,919 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I've found that I really enjoy metalworking and wish I had more shop space to devote to that but I can't give up the stationary woodworking equipment, I like that also. What's fun is combining the two crafts - I made a swing out shelf for the coach with a metal base and a wooden platform - the best materials for their intended use.

My Jet cabinet table saw with its large work surface takes up an amazing amount of shop floor space - it sits back 10' from the shop door, the table depth is about 6' and I have about 12' behind the saw blade for when I rip a 4x8 sheet of plywood.

·
Premium Member
4,051 Posts
I've been in John's garage. I'm glad I was able to contain myself from turning into a complete idiot drooling all over the floor.

·
Premium Member
3,418 Posts
Good looking shop/garage John

1 - 14 of 14 Posts