Rubicon Owners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
843 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys, I've noticed that recently I have minor vibes manifested in the steering wheel. I've also found that above 70 MPH they go away and everything seems perfect. But below they are present at all speeds. Any ideas as to where I might start to look? Thanks for any and all help.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
333 Posts
Do you have any suspension mods? Any mml's or medic skid type tc skids? If not I would suspect wheel balance.. I am not a pro Jeeper tho so maybe some one that really knows there Jeeps will chime in....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,530 Posts
PJ said:
Guys, I've noticed that recently I have minor vibes manifested in the steering wheel. I've also found that above 70 MPH they go away and everything seems perfect. But below they are present at all speeds. Any ideas as to where I might start to look? Thanks for any and all help.
Does the steering wheel vibrate up and down? If so you need to get a wheel balance. When did you put on the steering stabalizer?

Also do you have any othe suspension mods?

Sean
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
843 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No side to side like an alignment problem

Nope, I feel it side to side like an alignment problem. The stabilizer was put on at 1500 miles. I'm going to swap it out this evening to see if it's gone bad. I'm also going back to the alignment guy, he thinks I might have a tire gone bad and he'll check for round and true to the rim.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,530 Posts
Re: No side to side like an alignment problem

PJ said:
Nope, I feel it side to side like an alignment problem. The stabilizer was put on at 1500 miles. I'm going to swap it out this evening to see if it's gone bad. I'm also going back to the alignment guy, he thinks I might have a tire gone bad and he'll check for round and true to the rim.
It won't be the stabalizer. Putting a new one on my amplify what is already wrong. Stabalizer's are there to dampen the effects of NOT perfect engineering specs. If it a problem still after checking the tires then take is back to the dealer and have them fix it. I don't know if it will ever go away. I have slight side to side motion on mine also around 45mph but it is not something that bothers me. I had it on my 2k TJ too.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,252 Posts
Check your tire inflation, make sure they are set evenly right and left. Just a note, I am running 25 psi in my tires on the street.

The other thing may just be the toe-in toe-out (alignment).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,530 Posts
Griz said:
Check your tire inflation, make sure they are set evenly right and left. Just a note, I am running 25 psi in my tires on the street.

The other thing may just be the toe-in toe-out (alignment).

25 psi....WOW...how do you find that pressure. You are running the stock tires yes? I guess with the sidewall rating that would be alright I would just find that a little low.

Sean
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
843 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Got it.

Well, it certainly wasn't an easy thing to isolate but it turns out that one of the tires is bad. Alignment, and rims all perfectly aligned and straight and still had it. Nothing mechanical was bad. So we started swapping tires and rims off one by one and as luck would have it the last one swapped off fixed the problem. We then checked the suspect very carefully and even though it balances fine there a spot on the tire that is oval in shape and indicates it's wearing different than the rest. It appears there is a defect in the tire belt. Will return it to the dealer whom I called and he indicated no problem, they've had a few MTR's do this. Now I've spent no less than ten hours but the Jeep is now once again smooth as she should be. I will say that this didn't occur right away, took several thousand miles and I'm sure it was getting worse. Just a heads up for those that notice an unusal increase in vibes with no apparent cause/effect from you. Thanks to all, P
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
843 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I agree

25 is way too low for my likes, especially on the intersates. I run 32.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,530 Posts
Glad you got it figured out.... :D

Cheers

Sean
 
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Top