Rubicon Owners Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have tried to research this online and have come up pretty much empty on a good solution. I would like to install a front camera to view upcoming obstacles. I would like a WiFi enabled camera that would send a video signal to my Magellan TRX tablet (which runs on Android 4.2) or to my Samsung tablet, also android. That way I can run a switched power wire to the camera and turn it on as needed. There are cameras out there that seem pretty cheap, but they run through apps that are not compatible with my tablets. They will work on an iphone, but I want the larger screen size of the tablets. Solutions or suggestions?

·
Registered
752 Posts
Would this work?
We have a action camera that cost a fair amount but I think they are alot less now.
I also read a article a while back about using a old phone mounted and streaming to a tablet as a security device. I guess it depends on the quality you want?

I have been looking into a dash camera but get bogged down on how much I should spend as the prices vary a lot.

·
Premium Member
1,359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, I did get some feedback from Magellan.
"Hi Ken,

Sorry, no wireless camera is compatible with the device. The device also doesn''t support google play apps.

Thanks,
Lyza"
So getting a camera to work with a Magellan TRX is out. Still looking for on that will transmit live to my Samsung Android tablet.

Reactions: Desert Dog

·
Super Moderator
2004 AiRubicon
4,552 Posts
Doesn't GoPro have an Android App?
I know you can do exactly what you are looking for with an iPhone and a GoPro and also record it at the same time if you want.

My Radio can support both a front and rear camera. The one that came with it, is not great, but I do want to test it out.
I was going to play around with that this winter.

·
Registered
752 Posts
Go pro runs android.
If cost is a concern you can buy a inexpensive back up camera with a big display and mount the camera to your front bumper.

·
Administrator
11,505 Posts
I mounted a nice quality cam under my former Rubi's front bumper and wired it to a dedicated dash display, worked great unless I was wheeling into the sun. It was mostly useful for straddling a crack or crevice and getting a front tire on a particular rock. However being two dimension of course you don't get much in the way of depth perception which is why it was mainly useful straddling something. Highly recommend if you do a cam, go wired with a dedicated display, and the display needs to be not far away from your line of sight looking out the windshield.

·
Sarcastic Moderator
14,286 Posts
Not a tablet, but a pc. I originally went the wireless route several years ago, but engine interference degraded the signal. I wired in a camera to the usb jack using an analog to digital converter. Best of all is I wired the camera to direct power so no need to charge the camera.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts