Rubicon Owners Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:poke: I was in a shop the other day and mentioned that I had a Rubicon on order (currently 'D' status) and was looking forward to top off, doors off and windshield down wheeling. The person behind the desk said to NOT put the shield down or it will start to leak and never stop. I have yet to see a pic of someone with the shield down. Is there any truth to what I was told or is there a reason people never put the shield down?

Could someone direct me to the article or discussion thread for JP magazine where they say they would never own a Rubicon. Why would they say this?
Thanks everyone

·
Registered
628 Posts
I've heard they are prone to leaks once the window has been folded down but I haven't tried, I did with my other Jeep and it leaked all the time.

As for JP, that rag has gone down hill with Cappa and Hazel running the show but that's just my opinion, this was a much talked about article a little while ago here is the link to the dicussion.

http://www.rubiconownersforum.com/phpBB ... jp+article

Adam

·
Administrator
15,116 Posts
had mine down......no leaks!
of course it dont rain much here...LOL
:wink:

·
Registered
118 Posts
I've heard that it'll leak because when ya take 'er down it F's up the structural integrity (think that' s spelled right??) that the roll bars create. Plus, those torx head screws are a :bad-words:

·
Premium Member
4,195 Posts
I think this may have been true on older Jps but with the new attaching header that ne TJ has it surely eliminates this problem. Just my 2cents

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
I have a lot of buddies that run with the windshield down...Some leak..Yes...But from what I have seen it seems like the 03's have a better gasket system on the top and the bottom.

Once I get my full roll cage I will start to wheel with it down.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I like to remove the entire thing when I wheel on the tight trails around here:

I replaced all the torx screws with some brass phillips head screws from Lowes. Makes life a lot easier.

·
Registered
478 Posts
nothing a light skiff of grease when you are folding it up won't cure. the grease will stop leaks and won't dry up and tear the weatherstrip.

G

·
0 Posts
Watch out for bugs!

Havn't done it with the Rubi yet but one time in my 75 CJ5 we were driving a couple of miles on the highway to the next section of trail. Seemed like about a 150 yard out I saw something. Oh Sh&@! DRAGONFLY :shock: I watched as this big huge Freaking D-fly came right at me and I ducked and the MF still hit me in the face right in the Oakleys. Stung worse than any bee and what a welt!! Ever since I havn't put the bug killer down!!!! :D

·
Premium Member
404 Posts
I have a TOR cage and have had the windshield down quite a few times and no leaks so far.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I ran trails all summer with my windshield down--must have put it up and down 500 times. No leaks, no problems. Gotta remember to take your windshield wipers off though. (If you forget, you'll only forget once!) Kind of a PIA, but one gets used to it. Mostly, with the windshield up I just tighten the side bolts finger tight--easy on and easy off that way. Also, no need to strap the windshield down unless you're doing some super-heavy-duty wheeling--that sucker is heavy!

·
Premium Member
404 Posts
Snow Snake said:
Gotta remember to take your windshield wipers off though. (If you forget, you'll only forget once!)
He He He

That didn't happen to me! :wink:

·
Premium Member
404 Posts
Yea, I'll confess. Tugged and tugged on the windsheild until I heard the wipers making a weird noise. Luckily I didn't tear them up. Once they were off, the KCs were in the way. I am building some new brackets for the KCs this weekend.

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
My 97 TJ pretty much spent all summer seasons with the windshield down on road and off. i never had leaks, actually i still don't. i live in a 4 weather climate hot, cold, snow and rain.

·
Registered
456 Posts
It's illegal in a few states to ride a motorcycle without some type of shield, and i've heard it's the same for Jeeps, Ran my 86 CJ with the WS down almost every time I went wheelin, leaked everywhere, didnt care no top no doors.

·
Registered
430 Posts
I ran my YJ windshield down quite a bit on road and off. No leaks.

The laws around here state you need a windshield, wipers, and RV mirror.
Doesn't state that the windshield has to be up. It's all about interpertation.

Doug

1 - 19 of 19 Posts