Rubicon Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
3,425 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I may undertake this project later in the year, but wanted to share my inspiration.

In home depot today we saw these generic wind ornaments. The wheels spin with any wind and the tops swivel.

My thoughts are to cut a jeep silhouette (could be TJ or JK) and to make some wheels with knobbies. I think it would be a cool jeep-themed ornament. I also think it would be great for those who RV as it could be painted to match your jeep and have a secondary small panel below the swivel portion with people's names on it.

What do you think?

The hard part is getting the fan portion of the wheels cut. I probably can get someone with a CNC plasma table to cut a batch and go from there.

·
Administrator
10,765 Posts
Like the idea! The wheels would be hard to freehand cut with a plasma torch, a template might make it a bit easier and predictable.

On my to-do list is making Jeep whirlygigs - I've made several other designs from plans.

·
Sarcastic Moderator
13,994 Posts
Nice idea, in for one :)

·
Premium Member
1,709 Posts
I may undertake this project later in the year, but wanted to share my inspiration.

In home depot today we saw these generic wind ornaments. The wheels spin with any wind and the tops swivel.

My thoughts are to cut a jeep silhouette (could be TJ or JK) and to make some wheels with knobbies. I think it would be a cool jeep-themed ornament. I also think it would be great for those who RV as it could be painted to match your jeep and have a secondary small panel below the swivel portion with people's names on it.

What do you think?

The hard part is getting the fan portion of the wheels cut. I probably can get someone with a CNC plasma table to cut a batch and go from there.
Try a test with a bicycle rim with no tire. Get some thin aluminum sheared to your blade width and length. Hand notch one end with a notch wide enough that when you push it over the rim, it lets the blade tilt. Secure the other end close to the hub. You don't have to do every spoke, just enough to make it look right.

·
Premium Member
1,313 Posts
The garden windmill I have uses ball bearings from hand trucks. 1/2 " ID and 1 " OD I believe. They aren't sealed, but last quite a while and can handle high rpm's in our 50 mph winds. Also, not too expensive. Be sure your fan is well balanced, high winds will shake them apart.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts