Rubicon Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Gang..

I'm another newbie to the group. I recently purchased my second Jeep-a Rubicon 8) My first was a 02 Cactus Green Liberty Renegade.

Question: What do you guys recommend for a decent Winch. I do some wheeling on weekends so far nothing to serious. I've done some research and have an idea what I want to plop down the cash on. Does anyone have any experiance with the Ramsey 6000 or can recommend a comparable setup.

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
Ok, having been a rigger in the Navy, I like to err on the side of saftey when it comes to winches. First, a Rubicon weighs 4600lbs base, not including gear, mod's, and people. So, lets say 5000lb's.

Next, let me point out something that way too many people tend to observe. 95% of all winching uses at least enough cable to pay out the first layer of rope and quite possibly most if not all of the second for them long pulls.

Now, let's look at the Ramsey Patriot 6000 ( is this the one you're looking at? )

Layer of Cable 1 2 3 4

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Rated Line lbs. 6,000 5,075 4,400 3,880
Pull per Layer kgs 2,722 2,302 1,996 1,760

The general rule we always used in the Navy when lifting loads was to have as close to twice the rated capacity as whatever the object you were moving. Remeber, that you're winching a stuck vehicle which in alot of cases involves friction forces that will cause the load to move to exceed that 5000lbs we listed above.

Now, look again at your rated line pulls above and you decide if you have enough winch to feel safe. A Warn 9500i is only about $1000 new MSRP

And quoted from Ramsey's own website:

Vehicle Weight:

To calculate your vehicle's Gross Vehicle Weight (GVW), start with your vehicle's curb weight, then add the weight of the supplies and equipment you'll typically be carrying.

Line Pull:

The rated line pull of the winch must be high enough to pull your vehicle's GVW while overcoming resistance encountered when you're stuck or on an incline. Ramsey Winch recommends that you select a winch with a rated line pull at least 12% greater than your GVW.

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Nothing less then 8000lbs. You are not always going to wheel with JP's and someone your own size. GVW of the Rubi is 4700lbs. Warn 8000 or the new 8274-50 IMO.

·
Registered
639 Posts
If you are going to be heavily in muddy terrain, I would also look at the Mile Marker 9000 lbs hydraulic winches.

I think that Warn 8274 mentioned above is one of the best, if not the best, of all the electric winches.. quite pricy though.

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
Ok, aside from the screwed up numbers :)

Capacities/Weights
Base Curb Weight - Automatic Trans - 3268 lb

Base Curb Weight - Manual Trans - 3231 lb

Payload Capacity - Standard - 800 lb

Payload Capacity - Maximum - 800 lb

Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR) - Standard - 4450 lb

Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR) - Maximum - 4450 lb

Just with my rear tire carrier and the winch up front I have roughly an additional 300lbs over the base curb weight ( which are always calculated with no fuel in them ). That still would put you dangerously close to the rated capacity for 2 layers out on the 6000 model for my comfort.

·
Premium Member
3,342 Posts
You should be fine with a 8000lb winch. I recommend the Warn X8000i if you don't want to spend too much. If you shop around you can purchase this winch for around $650 (not shipped). The cream of the crop is the Warn 8274-50 this is a proven winch and has alot of character. Can find this one for around $900 if you shop around. The new 9500ti are nice and probably what I will purchase in the near future.

·
Premium Member
972 Posts
Make sure you look at more than the rated lbs. There are 1.8 hp 8000 lb winches and there are 4.9 hp 8000 lb winches. Line speed, pulling amperage, speed at different wrap layers, all factor in. Balance that against your intended usage.

FWIW, all the TJs run 9000 lb winches here in AZ (well....). That is based mostly on the pull ablity on the 4th wrap. Not being able to pull your arse out in 115 degree heat isn't just inconvienient, it can be life threatening.

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
I am told the planetaries in the Warn 9000+ series are also alot stronger than in the smaller models.

·
Premium Member
1,252 Posts
Minimum would be 8000 lbs. IMO too.

Look at Warn, 4 Wheel Parts Performance has a sale right now, you can get a 4.9 HP - 8000 lb winch for 699.00

G

·
0 Posts
Just picked up one of Warns Magnum series for 539.00 @ our local Colorado Springs Warn dealer. It's rated @ 8800lbs and comes with the roller fairlead. For occasional use, thinking this may fit the bill. Only thing I see in the fine print is that you have to buy the mounting plate with it...

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
You only need the mounting plate for the stock bumper. Most aftermarket bumpers are winch ready. I plan on getting an ARB myself eventually.

·
Registered
639 Posts
I have never installed a winch myself. Having said that, how's the installation of an electric winch?

Is it simply the task of drilling and mounting the winch and route the cables to the battery?

What about a hydraulic MileMarker? Anyone ever install this by him/herself?

G

·
0 Posts
No drilling was required (on the Warn with factory bumper), real simple stuff...

Hank

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Lothos said:
Ok, aside from the screwed up numbers :)

Capacities/Weights
Base Curb Weight - Automatic Trans - 3268 lb

Base Curb Weight - Manual Trans - 3231 lb

Payload Capacity - Standard - 800 lb

Payload Capacity - Maximum - 800 lb

Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR) - Standard - 4450 lb

Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR) - Maximum - 4450 lb

Just with my rear tire carrier and the winch up front I have roughly an additional 300lbs over the base curb weight ( which are always calculated with no fuel in them ). That still would put you dangerously close to the rated capacity for 2 layers out on the 6000 model for my comfort.

My sticker says 4700lbs...... :?

·
Registered
147 Posts
I had to drill all my holes but that's due to I custom made my bumpers etc.
As far as the wiring I ran mine through the grill and but some 5\8" heater hose around the Positive and Neg. wires ( just to be overkill on the neg. ) Because the wires will rub on the grill etc. and eventually short out the Positive wire. Other than that you might end up shortening the Pos. and Neg. wires from the winch but that is up to you.
I went with the Warn 8000i.
I've never ran a hydraulic winch

Mo

·
Registered
478 Posts
The most important thing to remeber when putting a winch on your jeep is to put in a new battery. The factory battery will not support the amp draw from the winch. The winch can over heat and fail if it is not supplied with enough power. A good marine, RV or Optima(or similar) is required on any winch install.
My 03 Rubicon battery is only a 450cca battery.

G

·
0 Posts
There are some cool dual battery setups out there, I hope to install one soon, but until then, I sure hope the stock battery will hold up... lol

·
Registered
24 Posts
A little off topic but winch related. Finally got my Warn winch and ARB bumper. Now, I'm paranoid that anyone can come by with a wrench and walk away with it. I was wondering what you guy's done to prevent theives from stealing your winch. We've had a couple guy's from local club who got their's stolen.

Thanks,
-Joel

·
Premium Member
3,342 Posts
I am very happy with my stock battery, mine has 500 CCA. I have a new optima sitting in the house and will probably transfer it when I get a winch.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts