Rubicon Owners Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the correct way to hook a winch up to an Optima battery?

·
Premium Member
3,745 Posts
UGAJEEP said:
The same as any other battery. If you have an Optima with the side posts, do not hook the winch leads up to them. The internal connections to the side posts on the Optima are not rated for the current you can draw with a winch. Use the top posts.

Jerry

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
JerryC said:
UGAJEEP said:
The same as any other battery. If you have an Optima with the side posts, do not hook the winch leads up to them. The internal connections to the side posts on the Optima are not rated for the current you can draw with a winch. Use the top posts.

Jerry
That is a very good point to bring up Jerry.

Also make sure that when you run your wires through the grill that there is some sort of protection on them. I find that using a piece of old rubber high preasure hose works great. This will prevent the wire from rubbing bare on the inside of the grill fins which in return will prevent you buring down the JP.

Is there anyone out there that has not done the above. I would like to see how many have not done this and have definate wear on the power cable. I am just curious as I know a guy who lost his JP to a fire because of this.

Sean (This is JMO on this saftey measure)

·
Premium Member
3,745 Posts
LILRDJP said:
Also make sure that when you run your wires through the grill that there is some sort of protection on them. I find that using a piece of old rubber high preasure hose works great. This will prevent the wire from rubbing bare on the inside of the grill fins which in return will prevent you buring down the JP.

Is there anyone out there that has not done the above. I would like to see how many have not done this and have definate wear on the power cable. I am just curious as I know a guy who lost his JP to a fire because of this.

Sean (This is JMO on this saftey measure)
Absolutely, Sean. I was target fixated on the connection, and not the overall installation. Protecting the cable is more important than what post you connect to. I used large diameter heat shrink over my cables going through the grill, and also where the cable passes the sheet metal support for the radiator just as you enter the engine compartment.

Jerry

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
I would still use a piece of hose to run the cable through the grill with. The point here is to prevent paint wear on the grill as mine has already worn down to bare in just 6 months.

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Lothos said:
I would still use a piece of hose to run the cable through the grill with. The point here is to prevent paint wear on the grill as mine has already worn down to bare in just 6 months.
Lothos....Yes and No..I lose paint all over the JP but that is fixable... When it burns to the ground in your garage in the night(which is what happend to the guy I know) you will loose the JP the house and maybe even the family pet.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the info! Do I need to move the regular battery cables to the side ones? If so, is there an easy way to do that? Thanks for the tip on covering the winch cables coming through the grill.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I ran my cables down and under the grill and back up to the battery. They are protected by wire loom, and haven't been damaged yet. Mine are hooked to the side terminals, but I don't have an optima. My battery (which I can't remember who made it (came from wal-mart a few years ago)) was rated for connections to either top or side. I haven't had any problems with pulls on it yet, however, I did notice a power difference between being attached next to the normal power cables and off by themselves. I would recommend that you attach to the vehicle power cables at the battery, vice by themselves. I will eventually move mine (read die battery die) when I get a new Optima.

Ron

·
Premium Member
1,184 Posts
UGAJEEP said:
Thanks for the info! Do I need to move the regular battery cables to the side ones? If so, is there an easy way to do that? Thanks for the tip on covering the winch cables coming through the grill.
I moved mine to the side posts. You can buy charging posts at any auto parts store. I then used Rockford Fosgate battery terminals to connect the winch and stereo to the top posts.
You can kind of see the connectors in this pic

Brian

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I've seen those at Wal-mart. Have one under the hood of the wife's grand after the connector cracked and Jeep wanted $113 for a new cable. Do you notice anymore corrosion with those over the factory?

Ron

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
No.... The Rockford Fosgate battery connectors. I had to clip off the old connector, and inserted the wires into the end of the Fosgate. Works great, saved lots of money. Than again 8 gauge wire to the Stereo, WOW..

Ron

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
UGAJEEP said:

It is not nessecary to move the regular cable to the side terminals. I like to have mine connected directly to the altenator feed personally. I really don't see the need for side terminals at all but that is just me.

·
Premium Member
1,184 Posts
The terminals are Platinum. No corrosion so far. Have been on this jeep for several months and were on my Durango for a year.
The cable to the amps is 4 guage. Battery is wired to a 100 amp breaker, then to a monster power distribution block. Each amp is fused seperately there.

Brian

·
Premium Member
4,195 Posts
Wires routing...

Hey...saw you all were discussing the routing of the winch wiring...didnt route mine through the grill b/c I was afraid of the rubbing and of the heat the radiator produces...so I routed them through a hole just underneath the passenger side wheel where the rest of the signal lights run through...it worked out perfectly. Just my 2 Cents
Pete

·
Registered
740 Posts
Re: Wires routing...

petesjeeprubi said:
Hey...saw you all were discussing the routing of the winch wiring...didnt route mine through the grill b/c I was afraid of the rubbing and of the heat the radiator produces...so I routed them through a hole just underneath the passenger side wheel where the rest of the signal lights run through...it worked out perfectly. Just my 2 Cents
Pete
My 2 cents (I feel like we're gambling).....use a grommet there!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts