Rubicon Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
904 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With the Jeep LJ being one of the most sought after Wranglers, why didn't Jeep make the 2dr JK or new JL the same wheelbase and internal storage as the LJ? Perhaps this question has been beaten to death but I couldn't find anything. I have LJ lust and trying to get my hands on a LJ tub to convert my TJ. For me at least it seems if Jeep had built the JK or JL 2dr to match the dimensions (length and interior space) of the LJ it would be a better seller.

If this has been asked and answered feel free to pm me the links and delete this post. Thanks all and keep the rubber side down.

·
Registered
494 Posts
LJ's are highly sought after but the reason why they get the high prices are that their isn't that many around. When they were new consumer demand must not have been high enough for dealers to out order them over TJ's.
The four door JK/JL out sells a two door three to one if I remember right. So in order to make a extended two door they would have to drop the short two door. Now imagine what would happen to the internet if you couldn't buy a short Jeep. It would be like the end of the world. Jeepers as a whole are a fickle bunch.

·
Premium Member
1,321 Posts
They did, sorta.

It has been a lot of years since I looked at the actual numbers, but as I recall, the interior volume of the two door JK is not much less than an LJ. I think the two door JK is about a foot longer than a TJ, not much shorter than an LJ. And the JK is wider. And I believe the volume of a JL is slightly bigger than a JK, I know the two door is a couple inches longer anyway. The LJ might have a bit more interior room than a two door JL, but I bet it's not by much.

The wheelbase on the LJ is still about six inches longer than a two door JL though.

- DAA

·
904 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My guess would be to sell more 4 doors.
I dont think a 104" wheelbase 2dr would really have impacted the sales of the 4dr that much. The 4dr would still be more room and better for families.

Jeep went into a deep coma after 2006 and is just now in 2019 opening its eyes
I think Jeep is still asleep or a least taking the least expensive route. I was really excited when FCA announced they were building a new Gladiator but when they released it and it turned out to just be a JL with a bed i was greatly disappointed. Yes they reengineered a lot of it to be an actual truck, I was hoping it would of had more resemblances to the original gladiator truck than a wrangler. If FCA had made it to resemble the past gladiators i would buy one.

·
904 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
They did, sorta.

It has been a lot of years since I looked at the actual numbers, but as I recall, the interior volume of the two door JK is not much less than an LJ. I think the two door JK is about a foot longer than a TJ, not much shorter than an LJ. And the JK is wider. And I believe the volume of a JL is slightly bigger than a JK, I know the two door is a couple inches longer anyway. The LJ might have a bit more interior room than a two door JL, but I bet it's not by much.

The wheelbase on the LJ is still about six inches longer than a two door JL though.

- DAA
I'll have to go back and look at the numbers as well but when I was looking at 2dr JKs the interior felt just as cramped as my TJ which is why I didnt get one. I didn't want or need a 4dr at the time and the 3.8L was a dog. The point is jeepers have found that the 104" wheelbase of the LJ seems to be the sweet spot for all around wheeling. It just seems that a matching wheelbase for a JK or JL would be marketable.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I would definitely buy one I'm actually a little discouraged now. I've been to every Jeep dealership within a 50 mile radius. Not a single 2dr Rubicon to be found. I've driven the 4dr and a 2dr but no Rubicons. Its my turn for a new vehicle. I've been patiently waiting.........

·
Registered
494 Posts
I'll have to go back and look at the numbers as well but when I was looking at 2dr JKs the interior felt just as cramped as my TJ which is why I didnt get one. I didn't want or need a 4dr at the time and the 3.8L was a dog. The point is jeepers have found that the 104" wheelbase of the LJ seems to be the sweet spot for all around wheeling. It just seems that a matching wheelbase for a JK or JL would be marketable.
Marketable? It has to be saleable? We all want that magic wheelbase but we are a very small minority. When someone comes into buy a jeep they don't go buy a Landcruiser because of wheelbase.
This is what I have been thinking about in reference to the Gladiator also. In order for the JT to be a success it has to be able to convert a mid size Canyon or Tacoma owner to Jeep. If you have a JK owner buying one than that isn't a increase because you have them already.
I would've bought a extended 2 door in a flash but because one wasn't available it didn't stop me from buying a four door.

·
904 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Marketable? It has to be saleable? We all want that magic wheelbase but we are a very small minority. When someone comes into buy a jeep they don't go buy a Landcruiser because of wheelbase.
This is what I have been thinking about in reference to the Gladiator also. In order for the JT to be a success it has to be able to convert a mid size Canyon or Tacoma owner to Jeep. If you have a JK owner buying one than that isn't a increase because you have them already.
I would've bought a extended 2 door in a flash but because one wasn't available it didn't stop me from buying a four door.
I think I longer wheel base 2dr would have been sale-able. People that bought the 4dr mostly were people that have families or wanted more room. Yes it might have cut into the sells of the 4dr some but I believe there are a lot of people out there like me that don't have kids or just 1+ person where a longer base 2dr would have been ideal. I dunno, I just see the 2dr as a miss because from what I remember there really is no gain over my TJ other than it being more modern. This again was based back with the JK first came out. I rented a spot jk with the 3.6 a couple years ago and was able to load 2 mountain bikes and weekends worth of gear for 2 people in it without a problem. We drove from Denver to Aspen to Grand Junction on one tank of gas and then from Grand Junction back to Denver on another and still had plenty of fuel. There is defiantly something I would not be able to due with my TJ. If there was a JK or JL that was the same interior space and wheelbase as a LJ I'd sell my TJ and get one most likely.

For now I am just trying to get my hands on a LJ tub to convert my TJ haha.

·
3,350 Posts
I'm taking the road by going with a CJ-8 Scrambler. Current wheelbase is 103.5 (same as LJ), but some rear over-hang past the rear wheels. It's still well short of my wife's JKU's overall length. Eventually, I'll stretch the scrambler's wheel base to somewhere over 110" and run 40 inch tires. The scrambler is narrower than a JK as well (more trail friendly), and being older, it allows me to not worry about emission testing. It was very tough to find a scrambler...expensive when you do.

·
Premium Member
3,050 Posts
For an LJ tub, go pick up one from Aqualu, http://www.hardbody4x4.com/5345-tj-cj-hybrid-unlimited-body.html
then its easy to do the frame and suspension.
or pick up a frame from WOD, https://www.wideopendesign.com/jc-jeep-chassis-for-lj
Really easy then
In some ways I should of done this, but WOD didn't have their chassis released yet. Not that I couldn't of asked and had one built.
It will be interesting to see what the GoatBuilt LJ frame kit will look like as well.
I may go one of those two routes when I start to tear into the LJ.

On my JKU, that's about to be torn down and sold. I just removed the rear seats and used it like a 2 door. If I wasn't going to sell it soon, I was going to make a flat floor and have lockable storage in the foot wells.

I also don't think they would be giving up much $$$ having a longer JL. Heck, the price difference between the JK and JKU was minimal. I assume the JL and JLU have the same small price difference.

I think many would of bought the slightly bigger 2 door for the same price as the 4 door. I know I would of, I think.

Now that I have an LJ to play with, the JL and JK conversation are off the table for now. Or do I want a custom frame under a tub with a VIN and licensable...

·
Premium Member
3,050 Posts
I emailed them on monday about their tubs and roller frame and still haven't heard back. I am a little disappointed that its been three days and still no reply but i am sure they get a lot of email traffic.
That sucks, wonder if they are more of a call vs email place. Even so, not a good impression.
Good luck

·
Premium Member
560 Posts
When the JK was first introduced they did have a prototype built with a very similar wheelbase as the the LJ. Damn shame it didn't go into production. I remember seeing a picture of it and it looked badass.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I got lucky when I found this 2014 that they never really wheeled, all the extras came with it. no dents, dings or scratches inside or out. Lots of options. Took it on a couple of snow runs and loved it. I'll see if I can post a pic here.

Didn't work , wont copy and paste...……...

·
904 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I got lucky when I found this 2014 that they never really wheeled, all the extras came with it. no dents, dings or scratches inside or out. Lots of options. Took it on a couple of snow runs and loved it. I'll see if I can post a pic here.

Didn't work , wont copy and paste...……...
You can embed them or just upload them as an attachment

1 - 20 of 44 Posts