Rubicon Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm contemplating a power upgrade to the Rubi. I've seen some good stuff here on superchargers but have not seen anything on the Banks turbo. From what I've read (Banks propaganda) it is designed to minimize delay and provide significant performance improvements at the lower end. Is anybody out there running one and, if so, what do you think?

·
Registered
290 Posts
I'm contemplating a power upgrade to the Rubi. I've seen some good stuff here on superchargers but have not seen anything on the Banks turbo. From what I've read (Banks propaganda) it is designed to minimize delay and provide significant performance improvements at the lower end. Is anybody out there running one and, if so, what do you think?
=======
Reputable company. So far 1 prototype install and lots of issues. When they start selling the kit I bet it will be free of issues. Power starts to build at 3k and gets stronger as the revs rise. I guess 3k is low end?
Makes me wonder is a new turbine is in the works?
PaulW

·
Registered
328 Posts
There is a sizable thread about it over on JF, seems like it should be a good alternative to the supercharging, if they'd ever mass release it. The general consensus is that they're fighting some tuning bugs and want it to be perfect when it comes out.

·
Registered
34 Posts
^^What he said. According to the JF thread, their test rigs were running great and they installed it on some beta testers and they noticed some problems, so they are on hold until they figure out the tuning.

I know there are a lot of people waiting for the release. I have a friend that is one and I'm looking forward to him buying it, so I can help with the install and experience the improvement. Living/driving at 4500-9000k in elevation really exposes the lack of power.

Jack

·
Premium Member
1,471 Posts
I was looking at it to until you through that 3,000 RPM figure out. Way to high for what I want it for, guess I'll keep my eye on that Stroker then.

·
Premium Member
5,182 Posts
It was right next to the RIPP Super charger for 6k. They turo was ony3k. I am opting for the V8. Putting that stuff on the 4.0 is (like my mama used to say) is like stuffing a diamond in a goats ---

·
Premium Member
1,471 Posts
It was right next to the RIPP Super charger for 6k. They turo was ony3k. I am opting for the V8. Putting that stuff on the 4.0 is (like my mama used to say) is like stuffing a diamond in a goats ass!
I don't know about that, it definitely has it's applications: Highway, Sand Dunes, Mud Bogging all where you'll get those RPMs up. I know I wouldn't mind it on some of those passes going down Highway 6 past East Carbon but for traditional rock crawling...not much good when it's extremely rare to exceed 2,000 rpms. Back up pick a different line, let another pound out of your tires whatever

·
Premium Member
5,182 Posts
Just pointing out the known problems of the 05-06 4.0s OPDAs, cams, lifters, rear main seals, etc. Since Gypsy is running an 06 well just saying

·
Registered
34 Posts
According the Dyno graphs I've seen and they post, it starts producing power just off of idle. There is no 3k rpm delay.

http://bankspower.com/products/show/430/97

» Torque output with the turbo at 1600 RPM is greater than the peak torque in stock condition. This aggressive torque profile is ideal for rock crawling and trail running scenarios.

Jack

·
Premium Member
1,471 Posts
Just pointing out the known problems of the 05-06 4.0s OPDAs, cams, lifters, rear main seals, etc. Since Gypsy is running an 06 well just saying
Yep, experienced all of those more than once, put more power on top and things start to come apart like Tony Schumacher at the 100' mark

·
Premium Member
1,471 Posts
» Torque output with the turbo at 1600 RPM is greater than the peak torque in stock condition.
Jack
Noticed they don't quote just how much greater that is......Everywhere else in that article they are thorwing out numbers left and right. Because from a marketing stand point they know they have to address that particualr powerband width for the rcokcrawlers.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Noticed they don't quote just how much greater that is......Everywhere else in that article they are thorwing out numbers left and right. Because from a marketing stand point they know they have to address that particualr powerband width for the rcokcrawlers.
Yes, but it you look at the dyno graph, it does.:p

The graph starts at 1500 rpm and granted it's not that clear from the small size of the graph, but it looks to be in the neighborhood of:
N/A - 155-160ish lb/ft
Turbo - 185-190ish lb/ft

Jack

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for the input. Still looking for someone who's actually running the thing. Fortunately I've got time to save up and consider the options.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Drop a mildly built 454 in it. You will have plenty of torque.
^^AAAnndd no way to register it where I live. Won't pass smog. Nevada in Washoe County (where I live) and Clark County (Las Vegas) have recently changed the smog laws so that the motor has to be not only the same year or newer, it has to be from the same manufacturer. So no Chevy motor in your Jeep. You can use Dodge/Chrysler motors, but no GM.

Sucks when non-gearheads make decisions...

Jack

·
Premium Member
1,471 Posts
Got that same darn problem in the metro counties in Utah as well, that's why I was looking at stroking it.

·
Premium Member
2,449 Posts
^^AAAnndd no way to register it where I live. Won't pass smog. Nevada in Washoe County (where I live) and Clark County (Las Vegas) have recently changed the smog laws so that the motor has to be not only the same year or newer, it has to be from the same manufacturer. So no Chevy motor in your Jeep. You can use Dodge/Chrysler motors, but no GM.

Sucks when non-gearheads make decisions...

Jack
There is a guy in Las Vegas who's business is installing LS engines in JK's. He knows the smog laws well and has no issues.

·
Registered
4 Posts
i haven't seen many graphs as I'm still looking into everything, but there are a few things to keep in mind. Banks is a company that has to develop products that meet a need and also meet 50 state CARB requirements also. they have to develop and sell a product that works everywhere. that often means the tuning is somewhat generic and will show hiccups at certain altitudes. I have learned a few things as an automotive industry professional and a performance junkie. one of the biggest is, any modified platform requires custom tuning to optimize performance and reliability. and the second is that the internet tends to exaggerate all the negatives and rarely expresses the positives of any product. i look forward to some day trying to Banks kit on my 06' and having it custom tuned by my local tuner in CO

1 - 20 of 29 Posts