Rubicon Owners Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have any suggestions on a winch...

Right now I am looking at buying a warn but I am kind of baffeled on what model to get...I figure minimum I need is an 8000 lb winch..but what I dont know is if I need the XD, XI, M, X or what!?? anybody know the difference and why i have or need to buy a Xi model vs a M model??
Thanks
Pete

·
Premium Member
3,745 Posts
petesjeeprubi said:
Anyone have any suggestions on a winch...

Right now I am looking at buying a warn but I am kind of baffeled on what model to get...I figure minimum I need is an 8000 lb winch..but what I dont know is if I need the XD, XI, M, X or what!?? anybody know the difference and why i have or need to buy a Xi model vs a M model??
Thanks
Pete
There seems to be some sort of system to Warn's model numbers, but I'll be damned if I can figure it out. Besides the obvious capacity numbers, some of the differences are fixed or remote solenoid packs, and speed. I'd look at the specs for each and decide which one best fits your needs. I went for a 9.5ti. It has sealed electrics. That was the deciding factor for me.

Jerry

·
Registered
63 Posts
winch

I went with the 9.5ti also and the deciding factor was sealed electrics.

The winch is the same speed as the hs9500. (which is pretty fast) Has plenty of power 125 feet of cable and looks nice on the rubi.

G

·
0 Posts
Have you looked into the Hydraulics? I have a Warn xd9000I on mine (yes I know that's electric). It hasn't failed to pull me out yet, but has come close a couple of times to stalling, and will generally pull the battery down. The hydraulics have come a long way, and if I didn't already have an electric, I would have given these a hard look. The only draw back on the Hydraulics is that you have to have the engine running. The advantage is that you can winch for nearly forever with a hydraulic. I would definately look at the new Warn sealed winchs. I get concerned about water getting to my solenoids under the cover. The xd isn't sealed up very well.

Ron

·
Registered
48 Posts
I was looking hard at the mile marker myself. The fact that the engine has to be running was the deciding factor to make me not want it. Two situations come to mind that you need that winch to work when it can't. #1 god forbid: a roll over, the engine will not run if on it's side, the oil pressure is all but lost and the engine will not run. This seems like the most important time you could possibly need a winch to work. #2 a high water crossing that floods out the engine, granted if you can avoid high water that's great, but what if..... You will need to get that jeep out of the water before the water does too much damage, and the longer the jeep is in water the more damage is done.

·
Registered
316 Posts
I've been looking at winches too as one of my next investments. I'm really thinking I will go with the Mile Marker. If I get in a roll over or too deep of water while wheeling alone I'll have to hope that the hand winch and hi lift jack will bail me out. Although if I'm on that rough of a trail I'll probably not be alone.

One disadvantage not mentioned about the Mile Marker is that you do not have power steering while winching. The solenoid valve for the winch will direct the power steering fluid to either the winch or the steering box but not both at the same time.

Brad

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
I know that it is kinda pricy...but you should look at getting a Warn 8274. The new ones are nice and have a nice big motor on them. They are a good work horse winch. You can always look for an older one. I picked up mine for $400CDN about $250US.

G

·
0 Posts
Rubikane said:
#1 god forbid: a roll over, the engine will not run if on it's side, the oil pressure is all but lost and the engine will not run. This seems like the most important time you could possibly need a winch to work. #2 a high water crossing that floods out the engine, granted if you can avoid high water that's great, but what if..... You will need to get that jeep out of the water before the water does too much damage, and the longer the jeep is in water the more damage is done.
I rolled my CJ twice, and both times I needed someone elses winchs to get me upright, and I did have to winch out of deep water once after killing the engine. The Warn barely made it to the other side, and it wasn't a fast recovery by any means. On hindsite with that one, it would have been smarter to have my buddy behind me pull me out backwards with his winch. I am not advocating either winch. Basically it brakes down for me is how long you intend to winch for. If you are out with buddies that can tow you, then the electric should be fine, but if you are out by yourself a lot, and may need to winch for a seriously long time the hydraulic can't be beat. Electric = short distance for a short time, Hydraulic = long distance for a long time.

Ron

·
Premium Member
4,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Good point

PBR Stitch said:
Rubikane said:
#1 god forbid: a roll over, the engine will not run if on it's side, the oil pressure is all but lost and the engine will not run. This seems like the most important time you could possibly need a winch to work. #2 a high water crossing that floods out the engine, granted if you can avoid high water that's great, but what if..... You will need to get that jeep out of the water before the water does too much damage, and the longer the jeep is in water the more damage is done.
I rolled my CJ twice, and both times I needed someone elses winchs to get me upright, and I did have to winch out of deep water once after killing the engine. The Warn barely made it to the other side, and it wasn't a fast recovery by any means. On hindsite with that one, it would have been smarter to have my buddy behind me pull me out backwards with his winch. I am not advocating either winch. Basically it brakes down for me is how long you intend to winch for. If you are out with buddies that can tow you, then the electric should be fine, but if you are out by yourself a lot, and may need to winch for a seriously long time the hydraulic can't be beat. Electric = short distance for a short time, Hydraulic = long distance for a long time.

Ron
Good point ron
Pete

·
Premium Member
4,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Update...Price...

Has anyone bought a hs9500i warn winch...I priced one at 783.00 is this a good price..let me know what you think.

Pete

·
Registered
48 Posts
PBR Stitch said:
Rubikane said:

Ron
So.. what your saying is if you were out by yourself and had a hydraulic winch you would have been screwed three times. :?:

G

·
0 Posts
Rubikane said:
So.. what your saying is if you were out by yourself and had a hydraulic winch you would have been screwed three times. :?:
Actually I would count it as once. The 2 times on my side, the winch wouldn't have matter either way, since the pull would have just dragged the front end around, and not righted the Jeep. So I would say, just once would I have been screwed. Then again I also have a Hi-lift in the Jeep, so could have gotten out of the water with that, alleviate it be very slowly.

Being on your side with out the engine running, the electric will run. Now if you don't have an upgraded battery or duals, how long do you think it will run? Electrics draw quite a bit of amperage. If I remember correctly the 9000i draws around 900-950amps at full load, to about 450amps at 4500lbs. Now also remember that these winches are rated for pulling, not hoisting, there is a big difference. Pulling you have the give of rolling weight (i.e. a 4000lb jeep doesn't way 4000lbs to the winch when rolling). An example would be a 4000lb Jeep is easier to pull than a 4000lb block of concrete. Now for righting a vehicle, you have no rolling weight to factor in, so your load actually increases as you are hoisting. It is also safer to do it with another winch at the minimum.

I don't advocate either winch, I have an electric on mine, and if it doesn't move the to wifes Grand when I start Project "Off Road Rescue", hers will get a Hydraulic. And for off-roading alone, I've done it, but stayed out of the difficult stuff, and just mostly went sight seeing. Besides it's always fun to have something to laugh about (like haveing buddy run out of wood where he went to take a leak screaming BEAR, turned out to be bear cub)

Ron

·
Registered
48 Posts
WARN® Snatch Blocks
Used properly, the multi-purpose snatch block can double the pulling power of any winch, or change your pulling direction without damaging the wire rope. They also help to reduce heat build up and amp draw.

Pulled from Warns sight. They do work. :D

·
Registered
326 Posts
I have an 8274 and a good buddy has a MileMarker.

Thanks to an AGR steering box his winch pulls almost as fast as mine, and his will pull for hours. On the other hand when he flopped on the side he had to risk running his engine to get a winch line set before we could tip him upright. There was no way to get another rig's winch on him, and it was not safe to right him without a line hooked up. (kudos to the Holley Truck Avenger for getting the engine running).

With one good quality battery and the stock alternator I can get one 150 foot pull with the engine off or three 150 foot pulls with the engine running. In both cases I'm talking loaded pulls, not just rolling.

If you are worried about running a hydraulic in water just get a snorkle.

·
Premium Member
3,342 Posts
Stick with an electric

There are many times when your engine will not be running when you need to winch. Also you might find yourself on your side and need your own winch to go upright. SNATCHBLOCKS! winching takes skill and observance. Now as far as an electric winch goes save and get a good one. My first winch was an X8000i, great cheap winch never failed me or even bogged down (at least not too bad) and I used it alot! It is worth saving and getting a ti or hs or 8274 if you plan on doing alot of winching. I know it costs more but get a good battery if you don't already have one, it is easier on your jeeps alternator and electrical system. A milemarker has the chance of being a problem, anytime you are forced into a situation not expected :shock: is when a winch will come in most handy and if your engine will not run then you might be screwed. Also if your hydro system malfunctions you will not be able to winch. Just my .02

1 - 16 of 16 Posts