1 - 8 of 8 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
255/85
or
285/75

tires will be going on stock rubi wheels with 2"lift/1"BL.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Definitely get the 285s. The wider tire will give you a bigger footprint and will act like a snowshoe in the winter. Make sure you add a couple of washers behind the steering stops to prevent rubbing on the control arms. Don't worry, you won't be giving up much turning radius.

I have also heard you can even get away with 305s. YOu will need to change your steering stops even more though. These would be the best tires but if you do tons of tight technical stuff then the 285s would be much better.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
255/85s and OME HD springs are a good fit and no rubbing. With Disco's the 1" BL will prob be needed. IMO the narrower tires cut through snow better rather than packing it and running on top. They don't sling as much mud up the sides of the jeep either.
Image uploading. Refresh page to view

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the pics. The jeep looks great.

Are the 255's the same width as the stock tires?

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The 255's section width is 10" tread width is narrower of course. Compared to stock they are pretty close to the same. I have no steering rub with this width either.

look at intercotire.com for trxus specs. Keep in mind their size specs are based on a 7" rim with max inflation. On an 8" rim with 30-32 psi you will not be as tall as 32.7". I like these tires as they are quiet and they dig right in in the dirt. I have climbed a few pretty steep dirt hills without even spinning the tires.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
OME w 255/85's?

I love your the tires on your red rubicon.
How is the highway speed, power and noise? Does the transmission hunt a lot going up hills on the highway?

I had issues with powere, and rpm on my 2001 wrangler with larger tires. I was hoping that with the rubicons transmission, some of this would be mitigated. I am excited to order the 255/85's.

Thanks,

jj
2003 rubicon black, 9000 warn, 3.5 inch rockcrawler lift, jks discon. More to come....[/quote]

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Re: OME w 255/85's?

jimmyjam said:
I love your the tires on your red rubicon.
How is the highway speed, power and noise? Does the transmission hunt a lot going up hills on the highway?

I had issues with powere, and rpm on my 2001 wrangler with larger tires. I was hoping that with the rubicons transmission, some of this would be mitigated. I am excited to order the 255/85's.

Thanks,

jj
2003 rubicon black, 9000 warn, 3.5 inch rockcrawler lift, jks discon. More to come....
[/quote]

These tires are very quite and very smooth. You won't even notice the power loss. I am running 33's and I hardly notice a difference.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts