Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to get a Ruger 45 Auto 1911 and I think I've narrowed it down to the model 6700 standard 5" barrel or the model 6702 commander-style 4.25" barrel... Your thoughts/opinions? Here is a link to the Ruger page of 1911's... https://ruger.com/products/sr1911/models.html

I'm pretty much committed to this purchase because I already bought the 45ACP reloading dies, 600 unprimed brass, 600 bullets, large pistol primers and have loaded 49ea 230gr FMJ rounds so far:grin2:

·
Administrator
10,678 Posts
Guy - what's the intended use? Plinking and home protection or a carry gun? Standard size (5") for plinking and nightstand use and a shorter barrel for carry. Our nondescript 1911 is really fun to shoot, it's full size.

·
3,382 Posts
I'm with John. Got to get a handle on what you want to do with it first. The 5 inch barrel makes for a very accurate handgun, but is harder to conceal.

·
Premium Member
4,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Guy - what's the intended use? Plinking and home protection or a carry gun?....
I'm with John. Got to get a handle on what you want to do with it first. …..
Mostly plinking in the back yard and home protection and just because I want a semi-auto. The GP-100 .357 is my night stand gun and the LCRx is my carry gun. I may carry this in the car or Jeep on long drives or under heavier clothing as a change for carry gun in the winter.

I was leaning toward the 4.25" barrel but the more I ask around most say get the 5"... so now I'm leaning that way. Actually 3/4" and 2.5oz isn't that much really....

Ruger forum I'm at 25 votes 5" barrel... 20 votes 4.25" barrel

·
Premium Member
4,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Ordered this today... will be at the local FFL I chose on a date soon....

The Ruger 5" standard model...

Oh ya... I've loaded 150 rounds of ammo for it so far:grin2:

Attachments

·
Administrator
10,678 Posts
Drool. Stainless steel?

Buy one of those gunsmith work mats that has an exploded breakdown of the 1911 - makes it easier when you field strip it (which is a huge PITA by the way.)

·
Premium Member
4,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)

·
3,382 Posts
Nice choice. Standing by for the range report.

·
Premium Member
347 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,367 Posts
I have a couple of standard SR1911s and one Comander length...you can't go wrong with either. I do think I shoot the longer one better though.

Congrats on the purchase. I'm betting it will serve you well!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts