Rubicon Owners Forum banner

Which one?

12K views 25 replies 11 participants last post by  Elwarpo 
#1 ·
If you could only keep one. Which one?
2006 LJ, 5.7 hemi, Dana 60s, 4.88 air lockers on 37s. Or, 2011 JK, 6.4 hemi, Rubicon Recon axles, 4.88 e-lockers on 37s.
Two seat or four seat isn't a deciding factor.

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
Do amenities have a say in it? If not I think I would go with the 06.
For me the truck would serve me better for hauling dog food 😄.
The 06 LJ has lots of sentimental value, but it would still stay in the family. As in going to my son. Other consideration is that wife's and my travel/wheeling days are behind us. Unfortunately, as my resistance to aging and being able to care for her health issues (multiple sclerosis and new diagnosis of cancer) is becoming increasingly challenging. Not griping! She's a gift.

#5 ·
So sorry about your wife's health issues; it's incredibly stressful when a loved one is dealing with something like that.

Time stands still for no one. We sold our motorhome and our LJ a couple of years ago, not particularity due to health issues but that was a factor nonetheless. We are at that age where we never know what health problem will pop up here and there.

As far as which ride to keep, that's a tough call. If reliability is a main concern than the Gladiator would nudge out the LJ. If that wasn't a factor then the LJ for sure. That chassis among Jeep products is the very best one for modification, bar none.

#6 ·
sounds like the decision was made already. LJ to son and JK for you. Neither have a warrantee and both can have issues, so not a factor for me there. They both have Chrysler engines, so no benefit either way there.

If reliability were an issue, id get rid of both and get something new with a warrantee. You didn't mention that, but it kind of came up.

At the end of the day, keep what you want. This is not a rational decisions...

#7 ·
We have two other daily drivers so it would just be a fun ride around town/mall crawler. The truck is a custom built JK8. Predecessor to the Gladiator. The JK8 is a better road vehicle. The LJ is setup to crawl. Leaning to keep the JK8 and let my son continue the LJ legacy. He and I did an Easter jeep safari a few years ago. Maybe he and his son would someday take the same trip.
Thanks for the kind words regarding my wife. Treatment plan being developed.

#8 · (Edited)
I forgot about your regular car. I would do what you said, let your son have the Jeep, and keep the truck, it's nice in red, and you can haul 300 pounds of dog food easily, just open the tail gate, and throw it in.
Although, keeping it in the Jeep for storage is easier with the cover.

#9 ·
I have a friend who collects cars. He doesn't drive them but gets enjoyment out of them just by ownership.
If you like them both them keep them both. Who cares if you use them or not. When you are gone your son can deal with them.
I am sorry for you wife's diagnosis.

#10 ·
I have a friend who collects cars. He doesn't drive them but gets enjoyment out of them just by ownership.
If you like them both them keep them both. Who cares if you use them or not. When you are gone your son can deal with them.
I am sorry for you wife's diagnosis.
Outstanding point, that few can appreciate. Thank you.

#11 ·
Just for grins. At the 1 minute mark of this video is my wife driving the LJ with an audience of 100 or so. What isn't seen is both of her feet duct taped to the brake pedal and me straddling the console to operate the throttle. This was when she still had some movement left in her legs. 😂 great times.

#18 ·
She had the wheel. Spotter indicated for her to turn hard right at the top, but I knew she couldn't do that so told her just to continue straight. Nice tall flexible birch tree put to use. :D Camera was okay and the camera guy presented her his little tripod. 2:00 to 2:04 is a different view of the obstacle.
Thanks for the support.

#23 ·
Of course. Beautiful jeeps both of them. I hope your family is doing well, that is what counts most.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.