Rubicon Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got myself into a rather deep water fording situation last weekend. Pretty sure I was just inches away from a nasty hydraulock crisis.

This got me to thinking about the locker compressor and it's rather low down mounting location...

What about the compressor's air intake? Anyone know if there's a line run from it, high up like the axle breathers? Anyone know where it terminates, exactly?

·
Registered
185 Posts
The intake for the air compressors and the rear axle vent all run up above the gas tank and are tied to gas filler hose. Those should be fine.

I need to investigate the location of all the vents and "what not" better myself, but from posts I have read, the vent for the auto tranny may be most vulnerable. I believe it is tied to the filler tube for the tranny.

One good peice of advice I have read, when in doubt, change all the fluids. . . .

HTH

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Were you activating the lockers while in the water? If not then you should definatley have no worries.

good to know where it is though.

Sean

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My rear was locked while crossing through the water. The water level was up to my doors, and then I hit a dip and bystanders said she dropped the headlights into the water for a sec.

I have a manual tranny, by the way.

I know the the front axle breather comes up higher than the engine air intake, so since my engine still runs, I'm pretty confident the front diff oil is not contaminated. The front axle breather line sticks up next to the radiator on the drivers side. You can see the one-way valve sticking up at the top of the rad.

Good to know the locker comp line terminates up with the rear axle vent. I didn't notice another line running up there, however. I must look again.

·
Registered
639 Posts
How fast were you driving when you hit the dip? If you were at speed (i.e. did not stop when you hit the dip) then you should be fine with regard to the hydrolock situation with engine air intake.

If you were at speed, I bet that the water level is pretty low in the engine compartment.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah....

I was moving at a slow but steady pace, so the headlight dip was probably more as a result of the bow wave, thant the actual depth of the water. I kept moving, so any water that came up near the breathers or intakes would have been there very briefly, I suspect.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts