Rubicon Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As the title states. I would like ideas on where CB's are located. Looking at HAM but have tested yet. TIA

·
Administrator
11,161 Posts
I think I'm on my 3rd or 4th CB radio - they either quit working or performed badly (current CB is a Galaxy.) Anyway the best place for us was overhead mounted in the Rockhard cage. Speaker was close to our heads and easy to hear. For ham radio I use a Kenwood TM-V71A, detachable faceplate which I mounted right above the dash cluster. The rest of the radio can be mounted anywhere handy.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Checkout the Anytone CB, $60. I have one and did the mod and it works great. Very small but powerful. I had a friend who's a Ham Tech tune it and he was impressed.

Reactions: Mouse

·
Administrator
11,161 Posts
Thanks for all the replies. I am thinking a Cobra 75 is the answer. As for HAM no one is testing in my area right now. May look and see about an online HAM test.
You can study online but have to test in person with a minimum of three Volunteer Examiners (I'm a VE with the ARRL and W5YI.) The pandemic has really hosed up testing but our local club has been testing following appropriate protocols. Reach out to any club in your area, they might be able to set you up. Our club will do testing on demand, lots of our members are Extra class VEs and can administer any test up to and including Extra. (General class VEs can only administer Tech class licenses.)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You can study online but have to test in person with a minimum of three Volunteer Examiners (I'm a VE with the ARRL and W5YI.) The pandemic has really hosed up testing but our local club has been testing following appropriate protocols. Reach out to any club in your area, they might be able to set you up. Our club will do testing on demand, lots of our members are Extra class VEs and can administer any test up to and including Extra. (General class VEs can only administer Tech class licenses.)
I tried to hook up with the locals but nada.. sent em emails etc... Crickets

·
Premium Member
1,370 Posts
That's too bad about the local ham testing. Hopefully, things open back up and you can get licensed soon.

I don't use CB at all anymore. On some of the trail runs I lead, I require participants to have a 2 meter. We get spread out too far avoiding each others dust for CB to have any chance of being useful. Other runs, ham isn't required, but I don't carry a CB or monitor it anymore either. My trail comms are 100% ham anymore.

- DAA

·
Premium Member
1,327 Posts
In both my LJR and JKUR I have the Misch overhead shelf and mount the 2 way below it. Up high, out of the glare and easy to get to if you need to adjust volume etc. Also the shelf is a handy place to mount RAM mounted accessories.

Reactions: johncanfield

·
3,602 Posts
Rock Springs, Wyoming
I'm about 2 hours and 40 minutes west of you (near Ogden UT). I got my Ham license in 2018 from the ARRL club in Ogden (OARC - Ogden Amateur Radio Club - W7SU). Looks like they are still testing- the next test session is Wednesday 03 February 2021 @ 6:00 PM.

I did self study and just dropped in to test. I had no problem passing on the first attempt. The Ogden club is very friendly.

·
Registered
231 Posts
I have a Ham also a Kenwood TM-V71A but some events like Easter Jeep week at Moab requires a CB.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'm about 2 hours and 40 minutes west of you (near Ogden UT). I got my Ham license in 2018 from the ARRL club in Ogden (OARC - Ogden Amateur Radio Club - W7SU). Looks like they are still testing- the next test session is Wednesday 03 February 2021 @ 6:00 PM.

I did self study and just dropped in to test. I had no problem passing on the first attempt. The Ogden club is very friendly.
Thanx for the info. I'll keep a watch on it. Probly won't look to test till after that date.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Get a commercial band vhf radio and do some research to find the fcc legal frequencies. Lots of them are out there owned by folks that do not care if you use them. Most are 50 watt max

·
Premium Member
1,002 Posts
I looked on the AARL website for the Utah test dates but get nothing. I did find Wyoming and Colorado. Ogdon will be closer..
ARRL is not the only testing group. Google Laurel VEC and see if they have anything near you. Laurel does not charge for testing and are highly automated which usually gets Callsigns to the folks in a matter of two days or so.

·
Registered
296 Posts
ARRL is not the only testing group. Google Laurel VEC and see if they have anything near you. Laurel does not charge for testing and are highly automated which usually gets Callsigns to the folks in a matter of two days or so.
== ==
Contact you local Ham group and find out where testing is going on.These days these groups do the testing.Got mine locally here in Colorado and found out they do the testing session many times each year.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Looks like Denver area is closest as far as I can see. Still 350 miles away. Was hoping for some in Utah which is closer. Probly go to a session in Denver this summer..

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
== ==
Contact you local Ham group and find out where testing is going on.These days these groups do the testing.Got mine locally here in Colorado and found out they do the testing session many times each year.
There's a local club here but I have yet to get a response..

1 - 20 of 26 Posts