Rubicon Owners Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have often wondered if expensive wheels were any better that cheap ones. During the winter change over it doesn't seem like any one wheel balances up different than others, including steel wheels.

I do think that the style of wheel and how it is designed plays a significant role.

This is a wheel from a new truck. They had 40 psi in the tire but it was a low profile tire.
Wheel Tire Automotive tire Synthetic rubber Tread

·
Registered
769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
While driving at highway speeds the owner hit a pothole. The right front wheel.
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Locking hubs Tread

·
Registered
769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The right rear wheel.
Automotive tire Automotive design Automotive lighting Alloy wheel Motor vehicle

·
Administrator
11,557 Posts
:oops: Possibly a Chinese wheel and/or underinflated tires?

As an aside -
When I was beadlock wheel shopping, I found out there's only one aluminum wheel casting operation in the US (at that time at least.) Trailready beadlock wheels are machined from the US cast wheel blank and apparently all other aftermarket aluminum are machined from low pressure cast Chinese blanks. The US casting is high pressure which makes for a stronger wheel.

·
Registered
769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It is really difficult to find out where your wheels come from. Depending on how much work is done to the blank company's claim made in USA but the blank could be from anywhere.
There are some US company's actually making Forged wheels US blanks and Machining.
Looking at these rims you can see they have a very close to "0" offset but all the support is on the outside of the rim.

·
Premium Member
1,436 Posts
One of my buddies uses his F-150 off road quite a bit. We had so many pinch flats, and cracked three different wheels at different times, using the factory 20" wheels. He's since put Raptor take off 17" wheels on it and life is better!

Worst wheels I ever bought were KMC. A bare wheel took more weight to balance than most tire and wheel combos. Center caps were designed to self eject the first slightest contact made off road and KMC wanted like $40 each for the plastic pieces of crap. Chrome plate was peeling off the wheels in two years. Those were expensive wheels, but they were expensive garbage.

Have had zero complaints with AEV wheels.

- DAA

·
Registered
769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Who knows how it really happened. We have road construction around here so maybe it was a pothole. Both rims on the same side. Both of the rims stopped turning when they hit the calipers.

·
2,191 Posts
Yeah, how and why doesn’t fix it.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Anybody know where Jeep sources the wheels on my 2021 JLUXR? They are beadlocks, only you have to get the kit that makes them so.

·
Super Moderator
2004 AiRubicon
4,633 Posts
I've had decades of success with the TJ Rubicon Moab rims.
They balance easy, and hold a bead real nice.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Anybody know where Jeep sources the wheels on my 2021 JLUXR? They are beadlocks, only you have to get the kit that makes them so.
I think your question went over the head of most folks on this forum. You may want to check with Mopar aftermarket parts for the rings for your factory beadlock ready wheels. Possibly BAM Wholesale or one of the other dealers that sell online. Maybe check JLwranglerforums.com for more specific info.

·
3,792 Posts
The BAM wholesale folks have been responsive to me when I've dealt with them.

Reactions: Desert Dog

·
Registered
94 Posts
I think your question went over the head of most folks on this forum. You may want to check with Mopar aftermarket parts for the rings for your factory beadlock ready wheels. Possibly BAM Wholesale or one of the other dealers that sell online. Maybe check JLwranglerforums.com for more specific info.
Thank you for the reply my friend, MOPAR does have the kit.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts