1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
963 Posts
advantages
wider stance
fit those wider or taller tires with less rubbing on the control arm

disadvantages
harder on bearing, load is moved off of centerline and leverage increases the stress on axle

·
Registered
361 Posts
Wider track stance. I run them on mine and I have 15X10 inch wheels. I like the wider stance and added stability. Commonly you see people run them with those narrow rims in conjunction with undesirable back spacing. Such as with a WE wheel. It can allow you to retain the stock track width, and or wider if you desire. Think of a 6 inch lift raising the center of gravity on your jeep, then add a nice bead lock that usually runs on a narrow rim with undesirable back spacing. Now your tires have been sucked in toward the frame. Your jeep has become a little less stable as a result. Spacers can help alleviate this as well as help some clearance issues.

I run the spidertrax on mine.

·
Premium Member
2,919 Posts
i run a custom made aluminum spacer to help clear 305s....

jaydub hooked me up with a great deal on his old 27spline unit bearings so i have a spare set, just in case.

·
Premium Member
4,946 Posts
Disadvantage - mud sprays you in the face when you turn the wheel! :laugh:

I run 1.25" spacers and love 'em.

The instant feel of the added stability was really nice. 8)

·
Registered
426 Posts
Basically they are a sub for gettign new wheels with more back spacing. I really like the MT classic locks but they are pricey. SO i bought 2 pairs fo spacers to get the needed spacing so i can run my 285/75 R16 without haring teh lugs go thud thud thud off my control arms

·
Registered
1 Posts
Wheel Spacers!!

What is the advantage and disadvantage of using them?? :?
Pros
Improved Handling
One of the primary wheel spacer benefits for performance-oriented drivers is improved handling. By widening the distance between the left and right wheels, the car is more planted. This improves overall handling, grip, and cornering.
Allows for Wider/Larger Wheels or Tires (without Rubbing)
For road-focused cars, wheel spacers let owners put wider tires on for additional traction and better handling. Off-roaders often choose larger tires that are taller than the factory ones. Without spacers, these tires might otherwise rub against the wheel wells or fender flares.
Adding larger wheels is another reason to get spacers. Drivers often choose to put larger rear wheels on, which is why some wheel spacer sets have a larger pair for the rear or come as a pair for the rear only.
Allows for Larger Brake Calipers
Performance brakes are often wider than the stock set. A wheel spacer makes room for a larger caliper that wouldn’t fit in the factory wheel space.
Gives Vehicle a Unique Stance/Look
Whether you’re a fan or not, it can’t be denied that wheel spacers change the style of a vehicle. Mild spacers can bring your wheels flush with the factory fender flares, which many find attractive. Aggressive spacers will add much more aftermarket style, creating a look that will stand out from stock vehicles.
Cons
Increased Steering Effort
The improved handling that wheel spacers grant comes with a downside: increased steering effort. With the wheels farther apart, it takes more steering wheel input to get the tires to turn. This is due to the increased tire scrub radius, or angle of the steering axis with the tires. You’ll especially notice the effects at low speeds. However, with modern power steering, this downside is easy to overlook.
Decreased Ride Quality
The engineers who designed your car did a great job optimizing it from the factory. But installing spacers throws things a bit out of balance. Having the wheels farther out from their suspension components means worse ride quality. The larger the spacers you get, the worse the impact on comfort will be.
More Wear on Suspension Components
Since the wheels are farther away from the vehicle, more strain is put on the suspension. With a wider geometry.
Whether use the wheel spacers or not, it's up to you. I just run the bonoss wheel spacers on my, so perfect!

·
Sarcastic Moderator
14,102 Posts
Most are covered here, but a wider stance gives you a lower center of gravity side to side. I run them because i like the rubi rime. Only run quality machined aluminum spacers from a reputuble company. Cast spacers are a danger. Also one big disadvantage is having to remove wheels more often to check torque on the spacers.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts