Rubicon Owners Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,745 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, I have a somewhat unique problem. Air Rubi runs 305/70R16 MT/Rs on stock Moab rims. I run an AiROCK suspension with a given ride height on the street. It's this ride height that I will have the Jeep aligned to, and center my axles at. That's not unique. That's the same thing anyone running a lift would do.

But since the AiROCK is adjustable, when I'm offroad and run the suspension higher, my axles are going to shift in relation to the frame. Running 12.50 tires with the 5 inch offset (or 4.5 inch, whatever) Moab wheels doesn't give me a lot of clearance between the sidewall and the upper spring perch in the rear. If I start raising the Jeep offroad, I'll definitely run the risk of rubbing on the left rear.

Now I could change wheels to a lower offset, which I'm definitely not excited about, or I could install Spidertrax 6061 aluminum 1.25 inch wheel spacers. Any thoughts or comments?

I swear, building a Jeep is like an arms race. One thing always leads to another. :D

Jerry

·
Administrator
15,116 Posts
Jerry......

if i was in your situation i would have a set of 15'' tires for hard core jeep`n with 3.75'' backspacing..

keep the 305/70R/16's for around town moderate offroading.

ive never been fond of the wheeel spacers.

mac

·
Registered
454 Posts
JerryC said:
I swear, building a Jeep is like an arms race. One thing always leads to another. :D
I love that quote. I think I need to find a bumper sticker (or something) for my Jeep that says that.

·
Premium Member
3,745 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Mud Puppy said:
Cut back the spring mount. You can get an inch more clearance with no loss of strength.
Duoooh! Of course. I'm going to check the relative position of the upper spring perches and the top of the rear air springs tonight. If I can cut back on the spring perch without exposing the air spring to tire contact I'll do that.

mac, I have never been a fan of spacers either....

Pics to follow......

Jerry

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
I agree with Mac.. Get some rims with 3.75" backspacing for off-roading. I would not be cutting back anything on the axle. You have gone this far in modifications you might aswell go all the way... You are now crossed over to the dark side DEEP..

Cheers

·
Registered
121 Posts
On my 2002 TJ, I took a BFH and beat the outside of the top rear spring perches flatter, it gives enough room if its just rubbing.

·
Registered
396 Posts
get the spacers. I ran them on my XJ for 2 years without any problems.

You just need to make sure you use lock-tight on the nuts and torque them propery.

I personally see no differenece between running wheels with 3.75bs VS 5" bs - 1.25" = 3.75. The stress on everything will be the same. The only difference is that you have to make sure you properly install the spacers!

KEVIN

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
Personally I hate wheel spacers, and even if I did want them, they're illegal here in VA which would force required wheels at next annual inspection. Might want to check your state laws to see if the decision has been made for you. :D

That said, ever notice that the manufacturers clearly (or sometimes not so clearly) state "For Off Road Use Only"

I'm running 3.5" backspacing and at 4" of lift can stuff a Swamper all the way up in the wheelwell and not touch a thing FWIW

·
Premium Member
3,745 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
LOL. Talk about an oldie. This post was from last June before it got resurrected.

I bought the Spidertrax wheel spacers and have never regretted the decision.

·
Registered
416 Posts
JerryC said:
LOL. Talk about an oldie. This post was from last June before it got resurrected.

I bought the Spidertrax wheel spacers and have never regretted the decision.

Glad to hear that. I have a friend who is getting ready to order a set for his 2k TJ so he can keep his factory canyon wheels.

·
Registered
843 Posts
Hey

But the spacers, they're great and better than changing wheels everytime you want to wheel, I have hundreds of hard core hours on mine and never had an issue.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Spacers

Had 'em on 2 TJs without any probs. One has stock wheels, the othe had AR 589's with 3.75 BS.

HTH
Kevin

1 - 14 of 14 Posts