Rubicon Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For my 2004 Rubicon with 12.5 inch wide tires I made the mistake of getting 1 inch wheel spacers only to discover the front studs were too long. (The lugs made contact with the back of the wheel/rim.) But the same spacers on the rear fit just fine. Huh? I got curious so I measured the front and rear wheelbase widths and the rear was about a half inch wider and the wheel studs stuck out one quarter inch less.

Questions:
  1. How is it that my unmodified factory wheelbase width differs from front to rear? The factory specs say both front and back have a 58.5 inch track.
  2. If I only put 1.25 inch spacers on the front the front wheelbase would be two inches wider than the back and each front wheel would stick out an inch further than the back. Is that okay or just a wild-assed thought?
  3. I have seen Jeeps on the road where the front wheels are NOTICEABLY wider than the back wheels. Is that okay? How does that affect driveability? Safety?
AtDhVaAnNkCsE
Thanks in Advance.

·
Premium Member
1,658 Posts
You may want to confirm your measurements.

if you want to run 1” spacers in the front you can change the studs to ones that are shorter by 1/4”.

Or, run 1.25” spacers in the front and 1” in the back.

personally think wider track in front would look goofy like the pre runner Toyota’s you see although I doubt it would cause any issues,

·
Sarcastic Moderator
14,153 Posts
TJ studs come on 2 sizes, rubicon and non rubicon, with the rubicon studs being 1/4" longer. You may want to swap them out.

Reactions: johncanfield

·
Registered
29 Posts
Cheby pickups and SUVs come stock with different track widths front to rear. Not that I think there is anything to learn from that garbage. It will be fine though. You can swap studs or cut off 1/4" to make those spacers work.

·
Registered
72 Posts
For my 2004 Rubicon with 12.5 inch wide tires I made the mistake of getting 1 inch wheel spacers only to discover the front studs were too long. (The lugs made contact with the back of the wheel/rim.) But the same spacers on the rear fit just fine. Huh? I got curious so I measured the front and rear wheelbase widths and the rear was about a half inch wider and the wheel studs stuck out one quarter inch less.

Questions:
  1. How is it that my unmodified factory wheelbase width differs from front to rear? The factory specs say both front and back have a 58.5 inch track.
  2. If I only put 1.25 inch spacers on the front the front wheelbase would be two inches wider than the back and each front wheel would stick out an inch further than the back. Is that okay or just a wild-assed thought?
  3. I have seen Jeeps on the road where the front wheels are NOTICEABLY wider than the back wheels. Is that okay? How does that affect driveability? Safety?
AtDhVaAnNkCsE
Thanks in Advance.
Interesting...are you still running the Moab wheels? And factory axle shafts? I run 1"spacers on my factory axles and Moabs and everything bolted up just fine, front and rear.

·
Premium Member
TBD
4,197 Posts
I ran the Spidertrax 1.25" spacers with Stock Moab wheels, Maxxis Creeepy Crawlers 37x12.5.
No rubbing of tires and plenty of room for the stock studs. I always thought the 1.25" spacers were the magic width for TJ Rubicons.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts