Rubicon Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a noise coming from the engine during acceleration with a heavy load, such as an incline. It usually occurs during use of higher gears at around 2.5 thousand or more rpm.

The noise started a couple of weeks ago and I have about 1,800 miles on the Rubi. I have not yet contacted the dearler, I wanted to get some unbiased opinions first.

A timing issue?

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
I believe that is the sound of the throttle body opening wide....Do you have an different air filter...I noticed mine alot more when I put on the K&N..

If it still bothers you take it in to have it looked at.. I am only guessing that we are hearing the same noise...

Cheers.

Sean

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have not changed air filters. The sound is a light pinging, sounds something like a slinky, but I can make it stop by easing up on the throttle, it's driving me nuts.

I'm thinking it could be the gasoline I have been using lately, maybe the listed 87 octane is actually 84 or so. Could this cause the described sound?

I plan on filling up at a different station with premium when I get to half a tank, thinking this will even out the octane level if I have less than 87 in the tank.

Has Anyone has similar experiences?

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
That pinging sound you are describing is from the fact that the distrubutor sync is out. It seems every 03 so far has had this problem. Take it to your dealer and ask them to do a "Distributor Sync". Let them know that they will find the setting to be off anywhere from 12-18 degress. They should not charge you anything for this.

This should slove the issue...Did for me.

·
Registered
639 Posts
What gas have you been using?

The reason I ask is that I was using Costco 87 octane when this exact pinging noise occurred. It went away if I backed off the throttle - just like you had described.

Anyway, I ran the tank down to half, filled it back up with Chevron 89 octane and problem went away.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The gas I have been using is Fred Meyer gasoline, don't laugh. They have the cheapest gas around here and in Oregon we have the most expensive in the country. I will try switching to "quality" gasoline and see if the noise goes away.

If this does not work, I will take the Rubi to the dealer and have them check the distributor sync.

Thanks for the feedback.

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
synapuscapus said:
The gas I have been using is Fred Meyer gasoline, don't laugh. They have the cheapest gas around here and in Oregon we have the most expensive in the country. I will try switching to "quality" gasoline and see if the noise goes away.

If this does not work, I will take the Rubi to the dealer and have them check the distributor sync.

Thanks for the feedback.

Is that any relation to Oscar?.....LOL(sorry couldn't resist)

·
Registered
147 Posts
synapuscapus wrote:
The gas I have been using is Fred Meyer gasoline, don't laugh.

I'm not going to laugh since I et gas there too, it's the cheapest place except for arco they are .01 cent cheaper than Freddies. I haven't had any pinging or anything but since everyone is mentioning it I'll tell the service dept. to add it to the list I've already given them.

mo

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Problem solved. :D Yesterday I topped off my tank with 6.5 gallons of Cheveron prem. , the pinging is now gone. Very interesting.

I have read posts on other tj boards and it seems the 4 liter doesn't do so well with lower than 87 octane or too much alcohol in the gas.

I learned my lesson, stay away from the cheapest gas, it is cheap for a reason. :idea:

·
Registered
92 Posts
Noise during accelleration

I love this forum - I hate the dealer ! :mad: I took my JP to dealer to ck the distri. sync. to see if that could be causing the noise I had, sure enough the syn was set at 5 when it should have been zero. Seems like the cure worked. Also had my tires rotated and oil changed. Start of a good day, then the service mgr called me, "Bill, we got everything taken care of, but...? we creased and dented the top of your hood raising it up on the lift , the mechanic was careless and forgot the hood was open and evidently hit the overhead door." Really pissed - always something. They have ordered me a new hood and decals and I am told the body shop does a "bang-up" job (bad pun) with the paint. Still its not like it is a factory paint job - Anyone know of anything I need to check for in particular when all is said and done.? (They have given me a free oil change when I come back in) Sorry guys for the ranting - dealers and carelessness just really tick me off. :roll:

G

·
0 Posts
Make them warrant the paint for life against fade. Most paint manufacturers offer lifetime warranty.
Get it in writing.

·
Registered
456 Posts
"ping and fuel" an explanation.

Fuel Grades: typically 3, posted as low grade, mid grade or high test.
OK, so lets do High Test first, its got a higher level of refinement which removes hydroflourocarbons but leaves octane, octane is the boom, but octane is'nt actually easy to ignite, it takes hfc's as a catalyst to reach a temperature and pressure to allow it to burn the O2. So a recap, High test has a slower burn rate because it has less hfc's and more octane making a more stable and efficient burn.. so do you need it in a mild 6 cyl fi engine.. HELL NO!! If it's pinging the timings off no matter what grade of fuel you use. the slower burn rate was developed for high O2 content mixtures like spercharged and turbo applications. Low Grade, optimal mix for fi 6 cyl engines with proper timing, ast rate of burn with slow dwell multiple spark timing, i.e. the 4.0. OK., I'm done. Any questions? :wink:

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
For some of us, I don't think it is a question of regular or prem. fuel. It is a question of crappy fuel, lower than posted octane and higher percentage of alcohol than normal. I have been running regular 87 octane fuel from Cheveron since the pinging went away. It was the generic fuel that was causing the pinging for me, not just using 87 octane.

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Re: Distributor Sync - engine pinging

Milehigh54 said:
Is there a TSB that discusses the pinging sound resulting from the distrubutor not being in sync?
No there in not a TSB for this. Now mind you my info is about a month old. The latest on http://www.all-data.com is not showing anything.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I went to the dealer the other day, decided to have them do a dist. sync, just to see if indeed it was off. After about 45 min. the tech told me the sync was at 6 and that they were not going to change that setting. My jeep has been making at least 3 different, new noises since my visit and runs differently.

:mad:

What could have happened? I guess another trip to the dearler it is. :cry:

·
Registered
639 Posts
synapuscapus said:
I went to the dealer the other day, decided to have them do a dist. sync, just to see if indeed it was off. After about 45 min. the tech told me the sync was at 6 and that they were not going to change that setting. My jeep has been making at least 3 different, new noises since my visit and runs differently.

:mad:

What could have happened? I guess another trip to the dearler it is. :cry:
So after switching to different brands of gas, you still have the engine pings?

I switched from Costco/Exxon 87 to Chevron 87 and most of the pings went away but I still experience a small amount of pings.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
No, the pings went away after switching to chevron 87, most of them, every once in a while I hear a slight pinging, nothing like it was with the crappy gas. So, like I said, I wanted the dealer to check the sync, just to see where it was set at.

G

·
0 Posts
I have had similar problems with my '03 Rubicon as well.
Been pinging for the past 1000kms or so. Its at 7000 now.

The dealership twice did a 'full computer check', and 'software update' to which they found nothing wrong.

I have used 87 octane gas in my tank from many differnent stations, and settled on some of the best - Chevron, and Mohawk. Still get pinging. Very annoying.

The dealership told me its normal and referred me to page 168 (I think it was) of the owners manual that says some pinging at low revs is normal.

I didnt spent 35 freakin grand on a new vehicle to hear this noise.

I will demand they adjust the timing next visit.

Anyone else do this? Did it work?

·
Registered
639 Posts
juice, I feel your frustration! :?

The foreman at my dealership (Champion in Austin) is very good and very up-front with what he knows about the problem. He did complete checks of my '03 Rubi twice now, been on the phone with DCX engineering, but everything just simply turned up normal. DCX blamed it on Texas gas (87).

He checked for software updates, contacted DCX, clean the throttle body, reset adaptive memory. He also adjusted the SYNC SET back down to zero but it only helps a little.

So now I just use 89 octane gas - pings go away completely.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts