Rubicon Owners Forum banner

7721 - 7740 of 7824 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Got my new Crown OPDA installed last night!

After fighting the battle of the bolt for over a week, heat and a custom 6 point wrench finally won!!!!

I was going to re-use the OEM sensor, but that too was really not wanting to come off. So I went with the new one for now. I'll keep the OEM and the old OPDA as emergency spares, just in case I have any issues.

Once I got the new one in, the Jeep fired right up and sounds great. No CEL, no codes!

Old one had some wear for sure. The engine sounds substantially quieter. A lot less clacking/rapping now!

Patience was key. If you can't get a solid hold on the bolt, don't force it or you will round it over completely. Walk away before you do more damage to the bolt and try another approach.

Also, take your time to do the alignment process with the plastic pin before touching anything. That was critical to dropping the new OPDA in and having the engine run with the same timing.

I believe heating the bolt and surrounding area to almost glowing and getting that 6 point socket on there was the secret.

Attachments

Reactions: geroux and FLLJ

·
Premium Member
6,123 Posts
Got my new Crown OPDA installed last night!

After fighting the battle of the bolt for over a week, heat and a custom 6 point wrench finally won!!!!

I was going to re-use the OEM sensor, but that too was really not wanting to come off. So I went with the new one for now. I'll keep the OEM and the old OPDA as emergency spares, just in case I have any issues.

Once I got the new one in, the Jeep fired right up and sounds great. No CEL, no codes!

Old one had some wear for sure. The engine sounds substantially quieter. A lot less clacking/rapping now!

Patience was key. If you can't get a solid hold on the bolt, don't force it or you will round it over completely. Walk away before you do more damage to the bolt and try another approach.

Also, take your time to do the alignment process with the plastic pin before touching anything. That was critical to dropping the new OPDA in and having the engine run with the same timing.

I believe heating the bolt and surrounding area to almost glowing and getting that 6 point socket on there was the secret.

What bolt is that?

·
Registered
54 Posts
What bolt is that?

That was the OPDA retainer bolt, in that tight spot under the OPDA housing...
(Not my photo below...)

A tight squeeze complicated by an already partially-rounded bolt head that did not want to move.
I almost gave up!

I was able to size it up as being a 3/16" x 1" coarse thread. The head was in fact 1/2" wrench size.
The original and the new one matched up perfectly on size and fit.

13mm wrench is too big on this bolt and would definitely have made rounding much worse.

If it is supposed to be any kind of special metal or special type of bolt, I will put one in, if I know what it should be...
For now, I put a common chrome plated bolt in there.
Being a new bolt, I have all kinds of good corners and flats for the wrench to grab.
I'll be able to change to a different bolt, if I need to, in a matter of minutes.

Attachments

Reactions: johncanfield

·
Premium Member
6,123 Posts
That was the OPDA retainer bolt, in that tight spot under the OPDA housing...
(Not my photo below...)

A tight squeeze complicated by an already partially-rounded bolt head that did not want to move.
I almost gave up!

I was able to size it up as being a 3/16" x 1" coarse thread. The head was in fact 1/2" wrench size.
The original and the new one matched up perfectly on size and fit.

13mm wrench is too big on this bolt and would definitely have made rounding much worse.

If it is supposed to be any kind of special metal or special type of bolt, I will put one in, if I know what it should be...
For now, I put a common chrome plated bolt in there.
Being a new bolt, I have all kinds of good corners and flats for the wrench to grab.
I'll be able to change to a different bolt, if I need to, in a matter of minutes.

That bolt! It can be a booger. I use a 1/2 closed end wrench on it. I also put a new bolt with a deeper head on it in there, I think it's a grade 5 but may be an 8. Harder bolts are less likely to round off. Those factory bolts are easy to slip a wrench off of. As far as access to the bolt I clock the OPDA off a bit so I can gain access to it easier. It doesn't matter where the housing is clocked as long as the timing holes line up.

·
Premium Member
1,243 Posts
Took it for a ride to show it where it's name came from.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
351 Posts
I really need to follow suit...it is 4 yrs now without a bath other than driving in the NW rain.:grin2:

Today I washed the damn thing for the first time in about three years! In the post up there^ you can kind of see, just behind the door, how dirty it was... tomorrow...the interior gets cleaned

These aren't suppose to be poser shots... that's my front yard where I washed it

·
Premium Member
351 Posts
A few weekends ago, I installed a rear cross bar and a new rear dome light and switch. Bar is inverted since it does not work with viking soft top.

The switch is lighted and is dim when off and bright when on.

Attachments

Reactions: johncanfield

·
Premium Member
980 Posts
Joined the OPDA club. I was a little Leary f doing this install myself in a Rocky Mountain campground, but Bill Dyer, a true Texas gentleman, walked me through it. Thanks Bill, it runs better than it ever did before we started.

·
Registered
90 Posts
When I got my TJ, it was in rough shape. We spent 2 months just getting it road worthy again. Primarily it needed a new ring and pinion in the rear which took some time to order, get and finally work up the confidence to tear into it. Took 2 evenings but it went together and now has several thousand miles on the new gear with no problems. Whew.

As fun as its been to take it out for a spin once in a while, the a/c has never worked. so that was last weeks project. It wouldn't hold a charge but for a few hours. However at least the compressor worked!

Dye revealed the condenser was leaking so I ordered one along with an accumulator and the o-rings, pag oil, and the other misc items. Nice to be able to borrow the gauges and vacuum pump from Azone! I tore it down last Thursday and you know what I found when I got a good look at the front of the engine - a leaky water pump. Back to Azone for another $100.

Anyway, got it all back together by Sat morning having never done any a/c work myself and lo and behold, I now have cold air! Life is good. Ha

If it stays in there and doesn't leak out over the next week, I'll call it a success. Sure beats driving around Arkansas in the heat and humidity of summer without a/c.

·
Premium Member
1,243 Posts
Upgraded my lower control arm mounts to Clayton's after the Rubicon did a number on the factory mount.

7721 - 7740 of 7824 Posts