Rubicon Owners Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here it is in a nut shell :?
1. 2" O.M.E. suspention lift with trim spacers in each corner.
2. 15" wheels with 4" back spacing.
3. What "size" of tire do you recommend for off roading and driving to and from the trails only :?:

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
:? Awh come on. Some one can give me an idea on what size tire would wheel good on those rimms :roll: and set-up.--the back spacing my be shacky. I measured from the mounting surface to the first edge.Could be 3.75 maybe.

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
33" tires. You may want a 1" BL just for Flex.

This seems to be a common set up for the RUBI...

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks LILRDJP,
I think my first thought was on the back spacing. I am going to run 33" tires but would like to know how much width. The wheels are 15"x10.Will this cause rubbing at flex with this back spacing?

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
With 3.75" backspacing you will not rub at turn or stuff on the fenders. I would not go to 10" width I would just go to 8". 8" is the recomened width for 12.5 tires, With 10" width there is a good chance that you may pop a bead at low air pressure.

JMHO.

·
Premium Member
1,252 Posts
A 10" wheel will also rub the fenders and wheel trim when you are flexing, they extend too far out to allow the tire to stuff inside.

A 33" tire is what I plan on running, but I plan on staying with a 16" wheel, either rockcrawlers or the factory.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So is this tire set up way out of line with the 2" lift, 15x10 wheels--let say the back spacing is 4".
33x12.50R15 Super Swamper TSL Radials.
width-9.4 O.D.-32.7

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
The set up is perfect. I just think that to keep rubbing to a min and to keep stock steering radius go with 8" rims and 3.75 backspacing.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks LILRDJP,
My problem is that I already own the 15x10 wheels and can't afford new ones :roll: Will the set up mentioned still work. remember(4" back spacing)---------------33" TSL Radials.

·
Premium Member
1,252 Posts
BlackBeauty said:
Thanks LILRDJP,
My problem is that I already own the 15x10 wheels and can't afford new ones :roll: Will the set up mentioned still work. remember(4" back spacing)---------------33" TSL Radials.
The set-up will work, you will get a lot of rubbing when you're off-road. Be careful at full stuff because you cold tear off a fender flare.

Did your 2" lift include any bumpstop extensions? If it did that may help stop any outside fender rub you may get.

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
BUMP STOPS, BUMP STOPS, BUMP STOPS.

That should help..... You can make it work. I will send you a pic of a guy in my club that is running 10" rims.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Every ones help has been appreciated. I guess I'm still getting used to "talking" over the Internet. I probably could have made myself clearer on my reasoning for this set up in the beginning :oops: Pics would be great LILRDJP and I will look into the bump stops--WHAT SIZE?

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Bump stops is something that you are going to have to measure when you get you set up on. You will want to flex the Jp to the point where it will almost rub and then measure the distance between the spring purch and the stock bumpstop. Then you just get what you need. I don't think you will need more than 1.5" of extension but it does not hurt to measure.
Hockey pucks work good by welding a nut on the spring perch and then drilling holes in the pucks and bolting them in. Makes for an easy change to the height for future mods.

Let me know if you need some help with that set up idea.

Cheers

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I ran a 15x19 rim with 33x14.5 SSR's with no problems. These are "big" 33's and I had no rub with a 4" lift. The tires did stick out a bit, I liked the look and was interested in larger flares, but never did it. Again, I like the look.

·
Registered
36 Posts
SOooo..Will the 33"s rub off road (with 8"rims and 3.75 Backspacing..
with the 2" lift...at full crank and stuffed?.).... Hmmm... I might go that way if it does......
Mike

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
MoabMike said:
SOooo..Will the 33"s rub off road (with 8"rims and 3.75 Backspacing..
with the 2" lift...at full crank and stuffed?.).... Hmmm... I might go that way if it does......
Mike
Mike with that set up and the proper bumpstops you will not rub in the turning radius......You may get some rubbing on the fender if the wheel is cranked fully. I only heard mine rub a couple of time on the fender with a similar set up. If you are doing a 2" BB or spring then I would also suggest a 1" BL.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts