Rubicon Owners Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,062 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well i got my front and rear track bars, so all thats left is me AEV 3" springs and im done and ready to install my complete lift

wellll almost ready, i still need to choose some shocks.

im not looking for a ****** shock, im looking for a middle of the road to a great shock. but what length shock should i be looking into using???

here are my jeep stats:

05 TJ

AEV 3" progressives
JKS Acos
JKS Rear track bar
Currie Front track bar
Rokmen Complete control arm kit
285-75-16

also one last question, what should i add for length on my bump stops???

thanks in advance guys, i appreciate you helping me get my heep off the ground!!

·
Premium Member
5,582 Posts
Are you running the JKS ACOS on top of your AEV springs? How heavy is your rig? I pulled the ACOS from my OME springs and left them out with the AEV's. They gave too much lift at minimum height. IF you want that extra height then here's my take on the shocks...

I have been VERY impressed with the ranch 9000 adjustables. From time to time you get the free myride deal as well for in-cab adjustments. Mine has worked very well. The shocks are great and the ability to adjust is very nice depending on loaded, unloaded, trail, street, etc. I changed my settings a lot.

Here's why I ask about the ACOS-the standard xxx255 and xxx256 front/rear Rancho shocks are more designed for a 4" lift. They claim a 2-4" but the shock bodies are way too long for a 2" lift. For just the standard 3" AEV spring (what I run) they are even a bit long for my liking for them as well. With your ACOS-you should be golden. For my length, just the plain AEV spring with no spacers, I'd recommend either lower the lower or raising the upper mount about 1" or so to gain the uptravel back that will be lost due to the longer body of the shock. Again, if you run a 1" spacer or ACOS, you should be golden. The AEV springs netted a fair amount more lift than my HD/LJ OME's did. I ran a couple sets of OME shocks-they were great when bone stock with OME lift, BUT I quickly over-weighted them and they were way too soft for me.

Overall you'll have a great setup there. Have fun with the install and enjoy it afterwards!

Best of Luck,

Mike

·
Jeepless in PA
12,587 Posts
I have Bilstein 5100s on my rubi, and my father's rig will be set up almost exactly like yours with the the 5100s.

David at NR4x4 said it would be a perfect combo.

·
Premium Member
1,061 Posts
Front = Bilstein 5100
Rear = Bilstein 5150

Eventually will run 5150's on all 4 corners.

·
Registered
2,948 Posts
If you were going outboarded and custom shock towers I'd say BBCS all the way. But they are a 15" travel shock, so you'd need shock towers to run them. But they have some great reviews.

Otherwise if staying stock alot of people seem happy with Bilstien, rancho 9000, and ome.

·
Registered
645 Posts
Bilstein 5150's on my Nth 6 inch and like them a lot. I had RE monotubes but they leaked a lot.

·
Premium Member
3,418 Posts
Running Skyjacker Hydros and like them. They give me a good ride and weren't expensive. Got 4 for the price of 3.

·
Registered
196 Posts
I'm researching the right shock to go with the AEV coils myself. I'm going to be outboarding, and raising the front mount as well so our lengths will be different.

The one thing I did come across recently regarding Bilsteins-and saw the Bilstein rep post to this effect on JeepForum-is that the 5100 series does carry the lifetime warranty, but the 5150 is only 90 days. From that perspective it looks like the 5100's are a pretty good option.

·
Premium Member
1,062 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
[quote='05TJLWBRUBY]Are you running the JKS ACOS on top of your AEV springs? How heavy is your rig? I pulled the ACOS from my OME springs and left them out with the AEV's. They gave too much lift at minimum height. IF you want that extra height then here's my take on the shocks...

I have been VERY impressed with the ranch 9000 adjustables. From time to time you get the free myride deal as well for in-cab adjustments. Mine has worked very well. The shocks are great and the ability to adjust is very nice depending on loaded, unloaded, trail, street, etc. I changed my settings a lot.

Here's why I ask about the ACOS-the standard xxx255 and xxx256 front/rear Rancho shocks are more designed for a 4" lift. They claim a 2-4" but the shock bodies are way too long for a 2" lift. For just the standard 3" AEV spring (what I run) they are even a bit long for my liking for them as well. With your ACOS-you should be golden. For my length, just the plain AEV spring with no spacers, I'd recommend either lower the lower or raising the upper mount about 1" or so to gain the uptravel back that will be lost due to the longer body of the shock. Again, if you run a 1" spacer or ACOS, you should be golden. The AEV springs netted a fair amount more lift than my HD/LJ OME's did. I ran a couple sets of OME shocks-they were great when bone stock with OME lift, BUT I quickly over-weighted them and they were way too soft for me.

Overall you'll have a great setup there. Have fun with the install and enjoy it afterwards!

my rig isnt to heavy.. really nothing crazy inside, just bedliner. front merc bumper with winch, rear has basically a rockhard4x4 rear bumper/tire carrier. so now im thinking that with the AEV and acos it might be a bit too high for me. maybe i should go to a OME 2.5 so in the end i can net about 3" total with the acos and adjust for weight from there with them. and go with OME springs to match, but then again if i went the route that you are saying (acos, aev, and the ranchos) atleast i wont be doing things twice where i will over weight . i hate making decisions!!!!!! plus i have read this like 30 times cause i have been in the garage drinking some beers with some friends, ill have to read it again in the AM to understand it better. :lildevil:
Best of Luck,

Mike[/quote]

·
Premium Member
5,582 Posts
:rotflmao: As long as you don't get double vision, you should be OK. :laugh:

I have to be honest-I removed my OME's and ACOS as the OME springs lost so much. When I pulled them, I may have had an inch to inch and a half lift yet, with the remainder coming from the ACOS alone. I'd lost uptravel, downtravel (from shocks), ride handling suffered both on and off-road, I just wasn't happy with it. Keep in mind my rig is/was heavy and I tow a lot. That puts a LOT of strain on the springs/shocks and sagging will occur without question.

What surprises me greatly is that springs are what I consider a "maintenance" item much like shocks and tires in that they do need to be replaced eventually. I'm surprised with the AEV springs in that I have still no reason to replace them. I haven't lost anything yet and they haven't sagged anything to speak of. I'm still heavy, still towing and still DD'ing and wheeling hard. Long-term use on them now has been outstanding. I'm honestly surprised they've lived as long as they have and maintained as well as they have all this time. They have outlived the OME setup by a long shot at this point-and still running.

That said if you're in the market for new springs and wanted to ditch the ACOS, yet still maintain your current lift height, I'd sell what you have and go to the Currie 4" progressive. They are an excellent spring. Only mention this as you mentioned possibly swapping springs and keeping ACOS. Am I right in assuming you have this collection of parts sitting in the garage WAITING to go on??? If that's the case, how much lift height are you looking at getting? I did NOT run the Currie 4" progressives as for MY taste-it was a bit too much lift. That's the entire reason I went with the 3" AEV progressives-I wanted to be as low as possible with a standard spring yet get as much up/down travel as possible from the mix (when I get there with outboard rears), etc. My thinking is that with the ACOS at minimum setting, you'll be too tall for your liking. If I may ask, what is the reason you want the ACOS? If for lift adjustment-I'd personally sell them and add a 3/4" spacer to the front/rear and be done with it. I ran my ACOS for a couple years and NEVER once adjusted them. They were still too tall for my liking.

I think before the shock recommendation is set, I might suggest making a final decision on the ACOS. They -to me- are what is holding up your whole setup. Personally-I'd sell them and put that money towards shocks. I just don't see a GOOD reason to keep them with what you have and will have when done. I have a 3/4" spacer on top of my AEV springs in the rear and have PLENTY of lift. I'm about to pull and sell my Rokmen strykers/slider setup soon and I'm afraid I may have to pull the 3/4" spacer when I do that as I think it may be too much even with the weight removed...

I'm sure I just confused your issue-sorry about that! Maybe ponder this in the morning and think about a few things after the beer wears off. :laugh: I'm sorry, don't mean to confuse or alter your setup, just want to help you make the BEST decision for your intended purposes on a clear head.

I'm not going to discuss bumpstops at all as they need to be done cycled with your final spring/shock setup and cycled dry with springs removed...

Best of Luck,

Mike

·
Premium Member
1,358 Posts
I am running Rancho 9000 adjustable and I'm happy with them. I have had them for 2 years now with no complaints or failures. I would like to change it up and switch to Fox or Bilsteins. I bought them used with my Tera coils

·
Registered
85 Posts
I choose Rancho 9000 shocks back in 2003 and am so glad I did. These shocks have been on my rig for 65,000 miles and are still working great. In fact, I just cranked the highway firmness back in after forgetting to following the last trail trip I did over three months ago. I was surprised how much I missed the great handling. The rears are holding up very well after after suffering some tube damage due to getting smacked by the spring perches during heavy articulation. The adjustable capabilities of these shocks is their best and most useful feature.

Can't go wrong with Rancho 9000s- well worth the slightly higher cost!

-Reid-

·
Premium Member
1,563 Posts
I thought AEV had shocks they recommend running with their setups? I'm pretty sure AEVJim has posted up on their forum what shocks, lengths, and why based on what AEV setup you were running.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts