Rubicon Owners Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My rear locker stopped working last trip due to not holding air. I finally got a chance to pop the cover and found this little shim or washer(?) Lying at the bottom of the diff. It sliced a small hole in the air hose which explains why I couldn't hold pressure but I'm not sure where this came from.

Could this be one of the clutch plates thats part of the limited slip? Should I try to rebuild the LSD portion or start searching for a front locker to swap in?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,335 Posts
TJ Rubicon LSD is gear driven. No clutches.

Can't help in identifying that piece.

- DAA

·
Registered
771 Posts
What is the diameter of the piece... carrier shim/pinion is a good guess I would think.

Before disassembly I would check the side play of the diff and see if its out by the thickness of the shim...same with the pinion see if the preload and backlash are in spec. DO it all before disassembly.

Like was said above there is NO clutch in the LSD it is a gear unit.

Oil seals intact?
added...
the size compared to the quarter is throwing me.

the pinion shims are under the bearing cup I think, so carrer shim is more likely, but it looks too small,

looking again it may be part of number 48.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
TJ Rubicon LSD is gear driven. No clutches.

Can't help in identifying that piece.

- DAA
Didnt know that ...thanks!

If I had to guess I would say is a pinion shim
I'm thinking you might be right...weird that it spit loose after 116k miles. I was just in there maybe 10k ago fixing a leaky airline and it definitely wasnt there

What is the diameter of the piece... carrier shim/pinion is a good guess I would think.

Before disassembly I would check the side play of the diff and see if its out by the thickness of the shim...same with the pinion see if the preload and backlash are in spec. DO it all before disassembly.

Like was said above there is NO clutch in the LSD it is a gear unit.

Oil seals intact?
added...
the size compared to the quarter is throwing me.

the pinion shims are under the bearing cup I think, so carrer shim is more likely, but it looks too small,

looking again it may be part of number 48.
Oil seals are good. Pinion shim is probably the best bet based on size but the pinion is still tight and there is zero signs of leaking or movement so I'm confused why it decided now was a good time to crap out

I had this exact same thing with my 05 PM. It was the pinion shim. Warranty item.
No kidding - from the factory? I've never heard of this being a known issue. How many miles were on yours when it happened? Did they say it was just a poor install?

·
Registered
771 Posts
Oil seals are good. Pinion shim is probably the best bet based on size but the pinion is still tight and there is zero signs of leaking or movement so I'm confused why it decided now was a good time to crap out
Get a dial gauge on it see what the backlash is, dial the diff side play and put a torque wrench on it for the pinion bearing preload...only way I could see pinion shims ripping and failing is if pinion preload was off, either from wear or poor install.

if you have done work on it recently then I would look hard at anything that was done.

·
Registered
38 Posts
TJ Rubicon D44 rear has both a clutch pack friction media limited slip, as well as the dog gear clutch air locker in it. The limited slip function is always active in the rear and the locker is on demand. The part looks like a broken beleview spring washer from the clutch pack. Needs a rebuild to bring back to spec. The front TJ Rubi D44 does not have the clutch pack limited slip feature. Only the air locker.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Well. My 2004 Rubi did in the rear. Thats why the manual says you have to use the friction modified posi gear oil in the rear. Also it is described in the owners manual which I still have.Clutch Posi rear with lockers off. Plus air locking front and rear. Also it is all shown in the shop manual for 2004 as well. And I have checked it out when doing fluid changes. Later

·
Registered
771 Posts
Well. My 2004 Rubi did in the rear. Thats why the manual says you have to use the friction modified posi gear oil in the rear. Also it is described in the owners manual which I still have.Clutch Posi rear with lockers off. Plus air locking front and rear. Also it is all shown in the shop manual for 2004 as well. And I have checked it out when doing fluid changes. Later
You seem to be confusing the Trac-Lok with the TRU-LOK in the manuals.

TRU-LOK is the rubicon axle and trac- lok were in dana 44s in other tjs also

TRU-LOK rear diff has an excellent gear driven torsen type limited slip, front has no LS

TRAC-LOC rear diff has an OK conventional clutch pack limited slip

The service manual covers both and they overlap at points making it difficult to discern the two at points since most everything service wise is the same.

·
Premium Member
1,335 Posts
Friction modifier not required either. But 75/140 typically has it anyway and it doesn't hurt anything.

- DAA

1 - 13 of 13 Posts