Rubicon Owners Forum banner

what is the most common problem with a stock jeep?

what is the most common problem with a stock jeep?

12K views 48 replies 38 participants last post by  Mooseknuckler 
#1 ·
Hi all,
I am looking to join the wonderful world of jeep ownership, but as a newbie, I have questions and concerns about what I am about to spend my Cash on
I was wondering, If anyone could sum up what would be the most common warrenty (or non warrenty) issue on a rubicon series jeep?
in other words what is the one thing almost every stock, non modified jeep, most likely encounters within the first few years???....if any????
Are there any things I should pay particular attention to when considering a used rubicon????

Thanks for your input.

#29 ·
Re:

RubiconPete said:
Hands down....

REAR MAIN LEAK.....
Even after dealership repaired. The dealership was even kind enough to leave out oil pan bolts and strip out every other bolt along with the exhaust bolts.

Thanks Gainesville Jeep!!! :dhorse:

#34 ·
Re: Easy fix

PJ said:
A bead of silicone just above where the door curves at the upper back part. Diverts the water down the side rather than into the door for drainage.
That's interesting.
Mine leaks onto the passenger floor because the door seal at the top corner near the windshield frame is bent back by the soft top and it cannot seal. If I remember to push it in before a rainstorm, it stays dry.

Pushed out:
[attachment=1:gxllnkqa]P8260001.JPG[/attachment:gxllnkqa]

Tucked in:
[attachment=0:gxllnkqa]P8260002.JPG[/attachment:gxllnkqa]

I think that you'll find that every vehicle has it's own quirks.
Looking for a single fault is in itself somewhat faulty reasoning. Just say that 99.999% of Jeeps have a rear main leak, but you may be looking at that ONE that hasn't developed a leak, or that it never will.

Same goes for everything else. For my Jeep the only problems I had were the CD player that was replaced twice and then died 500 miles after warranty expired. My CATs took a dump at about the very same time. Other than that there were just little things and most were inconsequential.

All vehicles are just a bunch of little parts bolted together to make a whole. Stuff is going to happen.
If it was made on a Monday or Friday, your odds of it being fubar are probably greater due to the hangover/end of the week factor. ;)

Attachments

#37 ·
The most common problem with Jeeps as I see it, is that they are
Jeeps. Can't fix that!
:rotflmao: :laugh: :rotflmao:

#38 ·
Mine likes to leak in the rain too...don't ever see it but the floor always ends up getting wet...My 97 ended up having the exhaust manifold replaced when it had about 40,000 miles on it...I heard that was a common problem for 97 tj's...

#40 ·
Front axle seals for me, was told that it's a common problem with the Jeeps. Installed some of those axle tube seals that mount near the U-joints to avoid water and debris getting in there and eating the seals.

Other that that just make sure you climb under it and give it a good once over, check for the usual rock rash on all the skids, diffs, control arms&mounts, ect.

I spent the $150 for a professional vehicle inspection before I bought mine, but still give it a good once over. The inspector missed that the rear locker wasn't engaging. Thankfully it turned out to be a cracked hose(dry-rot) on the differential and air pump. Cut off an inch of hose on both ends and stuck em back on; worked like a champ after that.

I'd check the top real well also, since those are pricey when you have to replace it.

#42 ·
Re:

BlackRubi 05LJ said:
The most common problems with a stock, non modify Jeep is:
1 Not enough Money for Mods. :oops:
2 Too many Mods. :eek:
3 Trying to figure out how to tell the Wife you are going to spend that much Money on the Jeep. :D
4 Who is gonna have to go. The Jeep or The Wife. :cry:

X2

#44 ·
Re:

BlackRubi 05LJ said:
The most common problems with a stock, non modify Jeep is:
1 Not enough Money for Mods. :oops:
2 Too many Mods. :eek:
3 Trying to figure out how to tell the Wife you are going to spend that much Money on the Jeep. :D
4 Who is gonna have to go. The Jeep or The Wife. :cry:

Absolutely. Need to include this on the poll.

#47 ·
My first Jeep 1978 Renegade: worst problem RUST
My Second Jeep 1987 Wrangler: worst problem Tranny (Peugeot)
My third Jeep 2005 Rubicon: worst problem -Getting dealer to fix problems-

Front drive shaft less than 36K -- would not fix (Stopped going to this dealer)

Jeep lost power under hard acceleration --- Took 3 tries to fix
(But they DID get it fixed, and it was at the new dealership)

New dealership also replaced catalytic converter -- YaY!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.