Rubicon Owners Forum banner

what is the most common problem with a stock jeep?

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
I am looking to join the wonderful world of jeep ownership, but as a newbie, I have questions and concerns about what I am about to spend my Cash on
I was wondering, If anyone could sum up what would be the most common warrenty (or non warrenty) issue on a rubicon series jeep?
in other words what is the one thing almost every stock, non modified jeep, most likely encounters within the first few years???....if any????
Are there any things I should pay particular attention to when considering a used rubicon????

Thanks for your input.

·
Jeepless in PA
12,585 Posts
basically just test drive it and see how it shifts, try out 4low,lockers, ect

look for mud in spots that would be hard to clean like behind the engine, on top of the stock shovel(t-case skid), behind axle,ect

its just like buying any other used car

·
Registered
202 Posts
It really depends. Jeeps are very reliable vehicles, but things do go wrong. I had a 1997 TJ for 8 years and never needed any warranty work aside from a bad steering box that needed replacement right when I got it. Apart from regular maintenance, I never had anything go wrong until I was well over 60k miles, and those were minor things like a leaky pinion oil seal.

My 2005 Rubi had its throwout bearing go out right about 2800 miles. I really don't anticipate any major problems in the future though. The 4.0L I6 is solid. I may break stuff on the trail, but that's just how it goes.

My girlfriend drives a 2001 Volvo S40, and she spends far more than I do on regular maintenance and fixing things that go wrong. But that's not just because I have an '05. That's including the 97 I had up until 6 months ago. Your mileage may vary, of course, but I think you have less to worry about with a Jeep than some other kind of vehicle. I'm on my third :D

As for used stuff, ditto on looking to see if it's been beaten up on the trail. Check the oil pan, differentials, t-case skid, etc for dents and signs of rock-bashing, and if it looks excessive, there could be problems lurking. If it's been a street Jeep only and it feels good to you when you drive it, you're not likely to have problems with it.

Good luck to you! :)

·
Registered
843 Posts
Water

Water on the passenger floor, but it's easy to fix.

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
Catastrophic wallet leak :cry:

·
Registered
843 Posts
Easy fix

A bead of silicone just above where the door curves at the upper back part. Diverts the water down the side rather than into the door for drainage.

·
Registered
315 Posts
petesjeeprubi said:
Hands down....

REAR MAIN LEAK.....

Pete :rotflmao:
x2

·
Registered
656 Posts
The most common problems with a stock, non modify Jeep is:
1 Not enough Money for Mods. :oops:
2 Too many Mods. :eek:
3 Trying to figure out how to tell the Wife you are going to spend that much Money on the Jeep. :D
4 Who is gonna have to go. The Jeep or The Wife. :cry:

·
Registered
905 Posts
I've never driven a stock jeep, except to get it home from the dealer.

·
Registered
636 Posts
Re: Easy fix

PJ said:
A bead of silicone just above where the door curves at the upper back part. Diverts the water down the side rather than into the door for drainage.
You wouldn't happen to have a picture to go with that description would you?

Every time it rains I get water dripped on me and/or the floor when I open the door.

Thanks in advance.

Bill Tolle
05 Rubicon
04 Liberty

If you love offroading and want the trails to stay open please join Blueribbon Coalition.
"Preserving our natural resources FOR the public instead of FROM the public"
http://sharetrails.org/

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Re: Easy fix

PJ said:

PJ Thanks for the info.

So it would seem most people experience drive train/transmission issues out of the box........Must be those sales people test driving the snot out of a potential purchase? :jawdrop:

·
Registered
1,774 Posts
I voted for drive train as I have had my front drive shaft replaced and my clutch replaced but I have to agree with Pete that it is the Rear Main seal that is the most common problem.

George

·
Registered
174 Posts
Yeah, dealer replaced rear main for me under warranty.
Today they replaced left rear axle seal & bearing under 7/70 extended warranty, my cost $100

But, they told me I needed brake pads. Just 39,900 miles on it. Took the Jeep to a Club Member at a Firestone store. He showed me how to measure the pad depth, find the pad depth wear indicators. Lots of pad left. I used to like my dealer, now I can't trust them

G

·
0 Posts
rear axel seal has been my only problem in 70k miles....oh and the stuff i broke myself

·
Registered
98 Posts
BlackRubi 05LJ said:
The most common problems with a stock, non modify Jeep is:
1 Not enough Money for Mods. :oops:
2 Too many Mods. :eek:
3 Trying to figure out how to tell the Wife you are going to spend that much Money on the Jeep. :D
4 Who is gonna have to go. The Jeep or The Wife. :cry:

:D That describes it perfectly.

·
Registered
375 Posts
jeeptj19992001 said:
rear axel seal has been my only problem in 70k miles....oh and the stuff i broke myself
X2

....oh except mine is 70k kilometers and a new front left u-joint..and a new rear axle due to the seal leak...it grooved the axle they told me.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts