Rubicon Owners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Rubicon newbie here...just upgraded my uber dorky Ford Escape for a 2013 JK Rubicon. My fiance and I are really looking forward to hitting the trails and doing some camping. So while the Rubicon is technically mine....I'm not "the car person" in the relationship. And I hate being the damsel in distress and making him do all the work...not to mention I really want to be able to work on and fix my own stuff. So...I am finding all sorts in conflicting info on fluids and would just like to hear what some of you guys are running and if you have a reason why. What I'm thinking of running is below -- any feedback or advice is appreciated!

Engine oil -- 5W30 Full Synthetic
*currently has Valvoline Max Life 5W20 in it as FCA recommends.
Gear oil -- 80W90 Conventional (no friction modifiers) for front and rear
*75W-140 is recommended for the rear if you are towing, but we don't plan to tow...just trail ride for now.
*What is the consensus on friction modifiers? I know you don't need them if you don't have a limited slip, but does it hurt? It seems to be harder to find just straight conventional these days....

Any other tips, tricks, and comments are welcome!

·
Registered
558 Posts
Welcome.
Even if you don't do the work knowledge is golden. It suprises me that so many people spend so much money on a Jeep and know nothing about it.
All of us here can argue what is best, and if you've done a simple search you will see so much conflicting information, so I will tell you what I do, then make your own decision.
When I sit in the lunchroom at work I sit with 6 journeymen technicians and a few parts people. All of us do oil changes at 5000km or 3000 miles in southern terms. This is early, maybe too frequent. But I like to rotate my tires that often and if going off road you need to get under your Jeep and make sure everything is all right. Synthetic oil would be a waste of money, unless your in extreme conditions. Use 5w20. That's what it calls for.
Friction modifiers don't hurt anything. If your favorite brand has it don't worry.

I use name brand products. The only one I don't like is Lucas products. Our parts manager was bringing in their Gear oil and it had a discolored sludge that would stick to the bottom, It either wasn't refined properly or the additive package would separate. It wasn't just one bottle but every one seemed this way.
I use Mopar stuff.

you have a 3.6 engine. If the Radiator isn't leaking then that means it has been replaced. Look closely at the seams for wet or dry crusty stuff. If it isn't leaking then change your coolant. You should have 10 year in it but aluminum engines like new coolant. Go to Jeep and get the proper stuff. Parts stores like to sell universal coolant.

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
I think my arthritis from throwing sodas for 37 years is gonna make me get a winch.
I use mine for all kinds of things, from pulling stuck trees, pulling up and down my tower, pulling up my out building to replace post, pulling Amazon and other vehicles out of the mud, etc. Anything which requires more than my decrepit body can handle.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts