Rubicon Owners Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
881 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

planning a three-day trip across some more challenging trail (rocky terrain) and I wonder what are the chances that I need to repair something, and what are the weak spots.

What did you break on your Rubicon, and was it realistically not related to a human error (leadfoot, trying the difficult line, steering with one tire wedged somewhere etc.) ?

Thx,
C>

G

·
0 Posts
Thats is a great queston!!! I have not broken anything yet, but axels, ujoints, drive shafts, tie rods...ect..ect.. I mena it is just a matter of time, when you get to the most extreme stuff.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Considering that your front axle is pretty much a Dana 30 with a Dana 44 centre section, if you want to be really prepared, bring one of everything. U-joints, tie rod etc. It is recommended that you upgrade your tie-rod though. It is a dinky little thing from the factory.

However, I have been on a couple of multi-day wheeling trips with rock etc and have had no troubles with anything yet. I may have on the last trip but I had already installed a beefy tie-rod. It had some good scrapes in it though. :D

G

·
0 Posts
hey who's beefy tie-rod did you go with on that????

At least you can usualy get the dinky stock tie-rod to be bent back into relative shape... lol

·
Registered
147 Posts
Like the other 2 said most likely axles and ujoints. But then sometime something is going to happen that you least expect. I for one have been on some really nasty trails and am REALLY surprised that I haven't lost my oil pan (skidless) axles and u-joints but I do take every precaution avoiding what I can and knowing what I can\can't do but there has been times where I just couldn't avoid them BIG frickin rocks. Have a safe trip and have tons of fun and ya can't forget PICS.......

Mo

·
Premium Member
3,342 Posts
If your wheelin stock all you really need to bring are some extra u joints.

Once you start the build you'll want to upgrade axles (probably to superior), tie rod (definately), stronger u joints like CTM, skids to protect your components that are going to be OK (like a steering box skid and diff skids). Those are the weak points of the Rubi. If you break something else chances are you were doing something dumb (but not necessarily) or you were not prepared.

·
Administrator
15,116 Posts
for the stock Rubi`s....
dont forget the propane torch to remove those U-joints..
gotta luv DC thinking.... NOT!
:roll:

·
Registered
454 Posts
I went for the Goferit Offroad (http://www.goferitoffroad.com) tie rod with their ends. I think, if I were to do it again, I wouldn't have bought their ends and I would have used a true dodge tie-rod end. The TRW rubber boots that came with it were dinky and useless. The ends are from a late model Ramcharger (1/2 ton ends I believe). The tie-rod itself is 1 1/4" DOM tubing machined to accept the ends.

Here's a pic:

It is almost exactly the same as the Big Daddy tie rod but I decided to order from them because Sheldon was super helpful.

·
Premium Member
881 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Damage report....

Ok,

I'm back from the trip. The good news:
- No mechanical problems. Everything worked perfectly.
- No body panel damage. Only a tiny set of scratches on one fender flare, and one rear bumperette sacrificed itself.

The not so good news:
TC skid plate took quite some hits, is bent upwards a bit.
Skid row engine/transmission skid is slightly bent, but no clearance problems.
Gas tank skid - well you get the picture... ;-)
The protruding edge on both control arm mounts on the passenger side are bent. Nothing critical the mounts themselves are fine and the Jeep runs straight on the road, it just looks bad and I don't want to give the stealership the opportunity to play the abuse card. How do I fix it ? Remove the control arms and BFH or some big pipe wrench ?

Pics: http://thegate.homeunix.org/RubiconJJ03/pics.html (URL is self-explanatory..;-)) So far there are only a few pics from my camera, more pics from my spotter/photographer soon.

C>

·
Registered
556 Posts
First off great pics cant wait to see some more! Second, bumperettes are great for taking one for the team. As for the TCase skid....its a POS and I highly reccommend you upgrade. My CA were all bent up and I never had any problems with my dealer playing the abuse card. BUt I would guess locking pliers and some strength will put them back close to their original shape.

G

·
0 Posts
Sounds like you got some good examples of the strength of the Rubicon. Did you encounter people on the trails that had broken stuff? Just curious.

Even though those skids are all bent up and stuff, they did their job. Thanks for the post on how it all went. Given the condition of the under side of your Rubi it sounds like you had a great time too!!!

·
Premium Member
881 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ok,

I updated the pictures pages. Lots of more good pics, I hope I got the order right...

With regards to breakage, out of ~75 rigs (in 4 groups) there were ~15 broken down. 7 broken axles, one front axle in a Rubicon in the dealer/VIP/whatever group so I take it this was a pilot error. One ripped off oil pan, electrical problems, broken knuckle are the things I've seen.

The "famous" obstacles were actually not that bad with the spotters the JJ provided. But pretty much everything else was still pretty tough, hardly any stretch where you can take it easy.

C>

·
Registered
315 Posts
don't forget the fuel tank! the fuel pump is mounted straight up in the center, and if you come down hard on your thin fuel tank and stock skid it will break the pump! a aftermarket skid like kilby or four x doctor is a must.

·
Administrator
15,116 Posts
deantac said:
don't forget the fuel tank! the fuel pump is mounted straight up in the center, and if you come down hard on your thin fuel tank and stock skid it will break the pump! a aftermarket skid like kilby or four x doctor is a must.
Deantac....thanks thats great advice!
i have a few dings on my stock gas skid and have worried a few times.

mac

ps.
Toysbytroy makes a gas tank skid..
:wink:

·
Registered
43 Posts
thanks for posting. those are really neat pics. a couple of them are of
little sluice bypass, so i am assuming that is the route you went. did you
happen to snap any pictures of rocks @entrance of little sluice? a friend
of mine said that some insane mods were made to it. just past the
guardian. thanks.

·
Premium Member
881 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Sorry, no,

these are all the pictures we have. Although I think I would have received a badge of honor going through the little sluice in an almost stock Rubi, we took the bypass.... ;-)

C>

1 - 16 of 16 Posts