Rubicon Owners Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in the process of deciding what I absolutely NEED to fit 35s. I don't want to spend too much money on this stage because I will be going to 37s within a couple of years and a complete custom built suspension system.

Here is what I currently have:

-2.5" OME HD springs
-OME shocks and steering damper
-teraflex adjustable trac-bar
-teraflex rear trac-bar bracket
-teraflex sway bar discos
-1.25" body lift
-rear control arm cam bolts

So, what do I need? I am thinking I should be able to get away with just buying 4" tera springs. The shocks should be long enough. I am thinking I might need a rear adjustable trac-bar too but I won't worry about that right now. I was also thinking I will probably need the shock relocators. Now that I think about it, I will probably need a new driveshaft too. Hmmm. Expensive middle step, I should go with 37s right away. :D

G

·
0 Posts
I was kind of in the same delima, and decided to go ahead and put something on now, that coudl accomodate the 37"'s for the future.

·
Registered
478 Posts
JP magazine says that all you need for 35's is a 4" lift kit from your favorite company and a 1" body lift. I'm installing a Pro comp 4" kit and a 2" body lift. 35x1250 BFG mud terrains on eagle alloy 058 series 15x10 wheels. So I guess the minimun is about 5" of total lift. I know that this doesn't help a whole bunch, just throwing in my 2 cents.

·
Registered
843 Posts
you

Add the JKS ACOS system dialed up to 2.5-3" and you're in there for $400 and a few hours while retaining the ride of the OME.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm don't want to buy a 4" lift because there isn't one kit on the market that I really think is any good. Maybe I'll start a rant thread some other day on that topic. I just want to get myself over some 35s and then build my own system for 37s eventually.

·
Registered
843 Posts
Well

The ACOS starts at 1.25 inches and can grow with your tires. Maybe be just what you need if tires is all you're looking for. Assuming your trackbars and brake lines can handle it.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I agree, those things are pretty cool. They are also nice to get a little more control (to dial in ride height) especially when your loading changes. I am just not sure I am prepared to spend $400 US on an interim solution. I could spend $75 Can and get spacers.

G

·
0 Posts
The local so-called pro's around here, tell me that if you can't swing one of the LA kits financialy and really want to run 37's to get the RE SF 4.5" kit, sub in the 3.5" kit coils, put in 2" Coil Spacers, and do at least a 1" Body lift. So this is what I have on the way, it remains to be seen what I think of it, but I have encountered this same setup on the trail on Rubicon Wranglers and so far they all report excellent results.

In addition to the RE 4.5" SF kit, I got the rear track bar and braket for the CV DS. I also ordered the drop pitman arm and new OME shocks.
And I ordered RE Rear Shock relocation brakets, but I think I am going to order the Teraflex rear shock relocators, as I am not able to weld the RE's on, even though I do think that is in the end better than the Teraflex brackets, but bolt on is almost always a more pleasent way to go.

Good luck, and make sure you come back and let us all know what you decided and how it runs once you get it all on. And of course pics!!!!

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah, it ain't going to be for a while. I keep flip flopping in the direction I want to go. I was/am so happy with the ride and performance of my OME that I want to make sure I do the next stage right. I will admit, I am a tad bit anal about this sort of thing. Maybe it is just because I need excuses to search the web for more and more information.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I have the RE 4.5 SF(with 4.5 springs),but have been noticing alot of people talking about the 4.5 SF with 3.5 springs and spacers to achieve the 4.5. I am new and am wondering why to use 3.5 springs and spacers instead of 4.5 springs to begin with?

I wanted SF kit with 3.5 springs to begin with ,but RE was out for two weeks and they talked me into 4.5's

Can someone explain the pros and cons of the two?
Thanks,
Daaron

G

·
0 Posts
Without 2" spacers it is supposed have a better road ride using the 3.5" kit coils.

With the 2" spacers you just get a little more lift out of it for the spending dollar. These crazy guys I have hooked up with are doing dang near 5' ledges, and I feel I need all the dang lift I can get for the money.

Of course, I will probably end up upgrading it to a full LA kit at some point, unless I just think it is the greatest thing since sliced bread as it is.

But I am running these crazy trail now, so I am doing all I can.

So what is your impression of the 4.5" SF kit????? I get to wrench on this myself very soon.

·
Registered
57 Posts
This is my first Jeep and all,but it seems to be a good kit.The ride is not like stock that's for sure,but it has seemed to loosen up a bit.That or I'm just geting use to it,but it does seem better.

I had to add a adj. rear track bar and bracket,tera shock relocators,Tom Woods CV and drop pitman arm.I think that RE should not be selling this SF kit as a kit when you need all these additional parts.My idea of a kit is all the parts you'll need are there.

I still have a vibe between 40-50mph ( when I hit OD)

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
triver525 said:
I agree, those things are pretty cool. They are also nice to get a little more control (to dial in ride height) especially when your loading changes. I am just not sure I am prepared to spend $400 US on an interim solution. I could spend $75 Can and get spacers.
You only need one set so you can cut the cost down to $200. I thought the cost was well worth it because no matter what you add in the future, you can easily level your rig.

Nick

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Why wouldn't you get the 4.5" kit and add a 1" spacer. This seems to me to be a better solution for more stability with the spacer. You get a progressive spring that will hold in place better when extended. You system will work the same and the cost are the same but I would think that you are limiting yourself in the long run.

With the 4.5" spring if you decide to go to LA and bigger than 37's (which I would bet a case of CDN beer you will) then all you would have to do is add the 2" spacer to the 4.5" and then you are set. If you decide to go this way now with the 3.5" springs you will have to buy new springs witch will cost more $$ in the long run.

This is just my opinion and it is apperant that you have done the homework but for your goals I would have done it the 4.5" way. This the the neat thing about talking about other set ups everyone finds a different way and can share.

As for how does the 4.5" work...I love it. I have ran it for 5mths now and it is great. I like the ride better than stock and I really like the progressive springs.

Sean

G

·
0 Posts
Well in my case, it was simply becasue the spacers were already there...
As it exists today, 2" Coil spacers, 1" Body lift. We shall see how it goes....

1 - 15 of 15 Posts