Rubicon Owners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,913 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1st I cannot get the Sway Bar end links off... then I put on Front and Rear Diff Guards and have a 6" diameter spot on my driveway below the rear differential now! The silicone must've been applied extremely light at the factory for a simple "bolts out bolts in" MOD to leak! Of course it has to be the rear one, where you can't get at the damn thing easily! :evil:

BTW... Younger Brothers Diff Guards.... WOW!!!! They are EXTREMELY Beefy!
Solid Steel thru and thru! No Tube BS!

·
Registered
467 Posts
a lot of people couldnt put on diff guards without breaking the seal, myself included. personally, i think the RTV they use is garbage, or not enough. there was no adhesion at all.

G

·
0 Posts
For once I got lucky.
My front and rear diffs didn't leak after I installed guards.

·
Administrator
15,116 Posts
your only fix is....
new oil and new RTV....
apply a lot of it let it set for a few mins and
install
:wink:

ps....
those diff guards are solid!

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
black RTV is the solution......

·
Registered
699 Posts
I replaced both gaskets when I installed my diff guards. Cork gasket with black RTV on both sides. No leaks since. . .

·
Premium Member
3,913 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
JeepDawg said:
I replaced both gaskets when I installed my diff guards. Cork gasket with black RTV on both sides. No leaks since. . .
I am not a fan of cork unles the gasket fits into a bevelled ridge, I did find paper ones at Carquest (Kaching!), if anyone is interested, CarQuest part # P27768T. Ran $11 including tax.

·
Premium Member
3,913 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ken said:
When you replace the Diff oil, are you running synthetic?
The standard Mopar Gear Lube is Synthetic...75W 140... exactly what I put back in... Parts gave me a break and it ran $1.25 more a quart then Carquest
I had leaks on both diff's after putting on Diff Guards...... wasn't gonna try and reuse the old lube.

G

·
0 Posts
I understand , from Dwayne Glenn, Parts Mgr at Tenafly Jeep, in NJ, when I ordered a gasket, that Jeep now says to use MOPAR ATF-RTV ( black ) as the gasket.
It is supposed to create a tighter seal than using a seperate gasket with RTV.
:?:

·
Premium Member
3,913 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
walc said:
I understand , from Dwayne Glenn, Parts Mgr at Tenafly Jeep, in NJ, when I ordered a gasket, that Jeep now says to use MOPAR ATF-RTV ( black ) as the gasket.
It is supposed to create a tighter seal than using a seperate gasket with RTV.
:?:
I don't know... used Black RTV with Gaskets. My rear and front took a beating (Thank God I put the guards on!) over the weekend and no leaks. I guess it's cool now! The original that was scraped off was grey. I have only seen red and black so don't know where grey came from.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts