Rubicon Owners Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Administrator
10,689 Posts
I don't recall seeing a rod/MIG combo unit, TIG/rod combos are fairly common. I just ordered a Miller Diversion 180 TIG but it's TIG only - no rod (that's fine because I don't like rod welding.)

Strongly recommend you stay away from any Harbor Freight product that uses electricity (unless it's a throw away when it breaks) due to generally poor product performance and abysmal (as in non-existent) service.

Just did a ton of research when I was deciding on what TIG to buy. Fairly good Chinese welders are Everlast, Longevity and Thermal Arc with Thermal Arc being the best of the big three Chinese units in my opinion.

I was torn between the Miller Diversion 180 and the Thermal Arc 186 (both about the same street price), the Thermal Arc had the Diversion beat hands-down in features and capability but in favor of the Diversion a) it's made in the USA, b) I have a local welding shop that supports Miller products, and c) it's a very good performer. If the Thermal Arc product broke, I would have to ship all 50 pounds of it off for service on my nickle (like the Everlast and Longevity product.)

Also another tidbit of advice - stay away from the three-in-one units, those with plasma/MIG/TIG capability. They have a reputation for being completely unreliable.

You didn't mention if you have any welding capability or equipment at present or what you plan on welding.

·
3,385 Posts
John, you forgot your most important reason to buy the Miller Diversion 180 - I showed you the fantastic TIG welding I did with mine! ;)

·
Administrator
10,689 Posts
John, you forgot your most important reason to buy the Miller Diversion 180 - I showed you the fantastic TIG welding I did with mine! ;)
Roger that Don! You need to fly down here and give me some lessons. Just returned from the welding shop with a bottle of argon for the Miller and a fresh bottle of C25 for the MIG. The shop had a poor selection of tungsten though :(.

·
Registered
153 Posts
From what little experience I have ( Training to be a welder, currently working SMAW) I wouldn't believe a 2 in 1 machine to be better, cheaper, or more convenient than two separate machines. For example, I picked up a lincoln 225 tombstone for $100 a couple years ago. Fully functioning and a great little stick welder, capable up to any thickness or SMAW process outside of construction. Then you're able to get a small-ish Lincoln or Miller product capable of up to 3/8" for in between $500 and $800. This would enable you to fab up just about anything on your Jeep. Basically for $1000 or less you could have a couple, process-specific machines that would last a long time and give you excellent results.

To answer your question directly; I know that Lincoln has several models of multi-function machines. I've heard good things about them from a few people. But I have no personal experience there. They'll be more expensive than the options I listed above might be.

·
Premium Member
1,150 Posts
I have a Lincoln Tombstone I bought used a zillion years ago. It just always works. Also have a Miller MIG, a 210 I think. also bought used for a good price and lots of accessories. Buy used, buy brand name - Lincoln, Miller, Hobart, IMO. watch Craigslist

·
Premium Member
5,182 Posts
I had Lincoln stick and used it a lot never had a problem in 22 years. So.d it for 3/4 of what I paid for it. I sold it because 14 years ago I bought a Hobart Mig. I use it for both steel and aluminum. Change wire diameter and some time reverse the feed wheel if using.025 wire but I couldn't be happier. :grin:

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
I don't recall seeing a rod/MIG combo unit, TIG/rod combos are fairly common. I just ordered a Miller Diversion 180 TIG but it's TIG only - no rod (that's fine because I don't like rod welding.)

Strongly recommend you stay away from any Harbor Freight product that uses electricity (unless it's a throw away when it breaks) due to generally poor product performance and abysmal (as in non-existent) service.

Just did a ton of research when I was deciding on what TIG to buy. Fairly good Chinese welders are Everlast, Longevity and Thermal Arc with Thermal Arc being the best of the big three Chinese units in my opinion.

I was torn between the Miller Diversion 180 and the Thermal Arc 186 (both about the same street price), the Thermal Arc had the Diversion beat hands-down in features and capability but in favor of the Diversion a) it's made in the USA, b) I have a local welding shop that supports Miller products, and c) it's a very good performer. If the Thermal Arc product broke, I would have to ship all 50 pounds of it off for service on my nickle (like the Everlast and Longevity product.)

Also another tidbit of advice - stay away from the three-in-one units, those with plasma/MIG/TIG capability. They have a reputation for being completely unreliable.

You didn't mention if you have any welding capability or equipment at present or what you plan on welding.

Thanks John I had a Lincoln AC stick welder for years, but it was starting to squeal when I started & stopped it. And it took up a lot of room.
(I also welded on my job before I retired, mostly stick, but a bit of MIG)
So I took Vince & Frank's advice too and got a Hobart 190 MIG with a spool-gun for aluminum...(still need to get the gas tank)
I have been using/practicing with it for a bit and I'm getting the hang of it again...(been awhile since I used it on the job).
The ONLY thing I don't like about the welder is that you have to switch wires to reverse polarity...NO switch! Other than that it seems to work great so far!

Thanks guys for the input!
:grin:

·
3,385 Posts
I just got an Eastwood TIG 200. It’s AC/DC and I love it. Much easier to weld than my Lincoln MIG. Took little practice to make nice welds. It was $750ish? Needs a bottle obviously...
:worthless:

·
Registered
2,352 Posts
Roger that Don! You need to fly down here and give me some lessons. Just returned from the welding shop with a bottle of argon for the Miller and a fresh bottle of C25 for the MIG. The shop had a poor selection of tungsten though :(.

LOL, John when he's done with your lessons he can fly over and give me some lessons. I've been thinking about getting my welder out for months to build some bells to hang it the trees. I have not used it in years. I have a Miller, I can't remember the model.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts