Rubicon Owners Forum banner

841 - 860 of 862 Posts

·
Registered
03 Rubicon and 19’ JLUR
107 Posts
I took my 03’ Ruby out to the Detroit 4Fest. Have not had it out in awhile since buying my 2019 JLUR. We had a good time and the wife got muddy. Made me want to start really turning it into a more capable trail rig. My 33’s and 4-1-2” lift got me most places. Bigger tires and beefier axles and more power!

Attachments

·
Administrator
11,061 Posts
With 35" tires and a tummy tuck you can do almost any trail or obstacle, it's the sweet spot for a TJ. 37s on my LJ make because of the longer wheelbase.

·
Registered
03 Rubicon and 19’ JLUR
107 Posts
I may start off with 35's, body lift and tummy tuck. Thanks for the info and the reminder about a tummy tuck. I forget about that part!

Reactions: johncanfield

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
I'm not into flexing for a pic but a friend just made me do it;)

Note California wild fire smoke made for an eerie day and poor picture quality.

Eastern escarpment of the Sierra Nevada Range on the Kavanaugh Ridge trail looking west into the glaciated Hover Wilderness north of Yosemite California.

The rest of the wild bunch

And the other direction Mono Lake into the Great Basin

And from a distance Kavanaugh Ridge is the saddle to the right of the twin peaks

The next day my wife and I did a pre-run on a trail we are planning on including in a Jeep run next year to the Tamarack Mine off the Summers Meadows road. We came upon a father and son. They were hunting birds and got separated from his wife and two younger sons up above and ask us to look for them. We did find them near dark and they welcomed a ride back to safety. Yep a little rescue topped off our adventure.

On the way up to Tamarack mine and the rescue. Bridgeport Lake and the Sweet Water Range in the back ground.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Met a new friend. Still a juvenile will almost double in size if he keeps out of a freezer.
20201010_113006.jpg

·
Administrator
11,061 Posts
We spent the summer of 2006 touring Alaska in our motorhome, moose weren't exactly everywhere on major roads but there were plenty of them hanging around in some areas. There were signs on all of the highways about watching out for moose - the signs would have posted the number of people killed in car vs. moose accidents for that year. The owner of one of the campgrounds we stayed in told me about his moose encounter when he closed up for the season about this time of the year, he hit one with his motorhome which caused thousands of dollars in damage.

·
Premium Member
1,349 Posts
I saw a moose hit a stopped car once. Repeatedly and viscously. Messed that car up BAD.

Cruising up the Mirror Lake Highway early one summer morning, come around a corner and there is a car stopped because there was a moose standing in the middle of the road. Brand new Chevy Beretta. So, we sit there a minute, couple vehicles coming down the canyon stop too, so traffic stopped in both directions, waiting for this big bull moose to move.

After a minute or two, the little car started honking at the moose. Moose got ALL interested in the car all the sudden. Walked up to the front, raised up high on his hind legs and brought both front hooves down in the middle of the hood. Caved it in real good. Then did it again. And again. And again. Then he came around on the driver side and started with the fender then on to the roof and caving in the windshield. By this time, I could hear what sounded kind of like the soundtrack to a Godzilla movie coming from inside the car.

I was starting to worry about the safety of the occupants and considering whether I should try to do something.

That's when the driver of the car suddenly put it in reverse and punched it. He turned the wheel to miss me, but only succeeded in slamming the rear of his car into a huge boulder just off the shoulder of the road and crunching up the back half to kind of match the front half.

Moose wasn't done... He walked over and jumped on the hood a couple more times. Then just walked off into the woods. Real casual like.

Now I could only hear one voice from the car, a female voice. Couldn't understand a word. But I could understand the gist - she was giving her husband absolute hell. I walked over to make sure they were okay, see if I could offer any assistance. It was a young Japanese tourist couple. The man was just sitting there with both hands on the wheel staring straight ahead not saying anything. He didn't even look at me when I walked up. The wife was chewing his ass out, up one side, down the other and round and round. She didn't look at me either, just kept screaming at her husband.

So, I got back in my pickup and went on about my business.

It's a small world, too. Few days later, visiting a buddy at his body and paint shop - there's the car! He did all the body and paint for Budget rent a car at that time. He started to tell me the story of the car, and I finished it for him, since I was an eye witness, lol!

- DAA

·
3,564 Posts
Had some cabin fever so we did a road trip up to Idaho to visit Shoshone Falls. The water level in the Snake river is low this time of year, so not much water running over the falls. Evel Knievel did his famous jump over the Snake River only a couple ,miles from here. There are some Fall colors in the vegetation to add to the view. Was a nice little drive in the Gladiator. It managed almost 20 mpg, with most of the trip at 80 mph.

·
Administrator
11,061 Posts
.......After a minute or two, the little car started honking at the moose. Moose got ALL interested in the car all the sudden. Walked up to the front, raised up high on his hind legs and brought both front hooves down in the middle of the hood. Caved it in real good. Then did it again. And again. And again. ......
Oh my gosh :unsure: :). Thankfully they weren't hurt except for the guy getting a good butt chewing. That's a story they will never forget.

841 - 860 of 862 Posts