Rubicon Owners Forum banner

801 - 820 of 823 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,336 Posts
That red dust looks very familiar. The trackbars (front and rear) are under a ton of loading when the suspension is flexed. I've had problems with both.
Yup. Had the front panhard break once, too. Not the bracket that time, the TRE on the crappy BDS trackbar I was running at the time broke. That was an interesting experience getting out of where I was when that happened too :LOL: .

- DAA

·
Administrator
10,831 Posts
I was on a trail in Colorado when my front trackbar bolt broke and the trackbar was dragging on the ground. I thought I caught a tree limb. I found a replacement bolt in my bolt box and had to lay on the soggy ground in the sleet to hook it back up :oops:.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Single shear ...ya need to fix that!

·
Premium Member
1,336 Posts
Single shear ...ya need to fix that!
I thought pretty hard about going double shear on it, but decided not to. Glad I did, it's worked out well, with no muss or fuss. I'm sure a double shear could be packaged to not lose any uptravel with the low lift on the Jeep, but it would have been more fabrication project than I'm up for by myself. Any of the prefabbed weld on brackets I've seen would take away uptravel I'm not wanting to lose from the setup.

Replaced that crappy BDS with a good Currie, that replaces that stupid little TRE with a 5/8 grade 8 through a 2-1/2" johnny joint.

I don't think I need to worry too much about ripping that frame side mount off the front. Could happen, but it hasn't, and I'm thinking it's probably not going anywhere. The 5/8 bolt and JJ aren't going to break either. Trackbar never was the limit on droop on this Jeep - shocks are, but the JJ in single shear articulates well.

Now watch, that front frame bracket is going to tear off next time I get four hours from cell service again :LOL: .

- DAA

·
Administrator
10,831 Posts
Blaine (mrblaine of Savvy and Black Magic Brakes) told me the frame bracket for the front trackbar is susceptible to cracking so that's something to keep a close eye on.

·
3,464 Posts
Blaine (mrblaine of Savvy and Black Magic Brakes) told me the frame bracket for the front trackbar is susceptible to cracking so that's something to keep a close eye on.
I have seen the welds crack that holds the bracket to the frame (on more than one TJ/LJ)

·
Registered
563 Posts
Mine took me about 2 hours all interstate .... to a place near Kingsport, TN. Found a Caro Master Kongo Kage rack (no basket) for $150 ..... for the LJ.
I don't really like them, but I was thinking for $150, I could use it to haul her kayak around and not use the 14' trailer.
Man, that thing is kinda noisy for the 2 hour ride home.
Mods on the rack soon to follow.
  • Make it detachable ... 'cause I don't like them. Lol.
  • Possibly tie into LED bar mount
  • Move rear hinge at tail light to top..... that way I can flip the rack back 180 degrees to use as a sun shade/canopy in the rear.
Kinda like my tarp and tent pole contraption.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Great idea post pictures when you get it done...

·
3,464 Posts
I wonder if we have an email address somewhere for him. If I can find one, I'll email and check on him.

·
3,464 Posts
Paid a visit to Antelope Island this morning before the heat got to be too much. It was already almost 90 degrees by 0830 (forecasted high today is 101).

Lots of animals out this time of the morning.

This coyote looks to be a young one - had a hard time snapping a good pic since he was moving. His reddish fur stood out on his head.

Lots of bison.

I'll admit we were driving with the AC on!

We were able to get very close to this antelope - another healthy looking animal.

·
3,464 Posts
Unfortunately I can't find an email for Mr. Way West.

Reactions: Wildrat

·
Registered
2,396 Posts
Unfortunately I can't find an email for Mr. Way West.
That's too bad. Hopefully he is not in one of the mines he explores, if he is he likely does not smell anymore, and some small animals may have had a meal or two, not unless he happened upon a mine with a dragon, then he would have been a morsel of food, and the dragon is still hungry and likely annoyed since he was all gristle.
Hopefully, he will reappear soon with a Jeep load of pics!

·
3,464 Posts
Don - there has to be an email in his user details, click on his name and then Edit profile.
John, I can't find where I would edit his profile...newb moderator problems...

Reactions: Wildrat

·
Administrator
10,831 Posts
Click on name and then there should be a drop down box on the right side under the banner that says Moderator Tools. One of the choices is Edit.

801 - 820 of 823 Posts