Rubicon Owners Forum banner

721 - 740 of 775 Posts

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter #721 (Edited)
Today's journey 5/9/20 starts on the previous page
Now it's off to the last mine of the day!
I think anyway, I zigged and zagged across this range so much it's hard to keep track of the pictures. Plus I am so tired my eyes are crossing.

Hooray I finally found it!! :)

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter #722 (Edited)
Unfortunately I was not able to enter this mine due to it being gated off :(
So I did some hiking around the area instead.

I found this place and would have been able to make entry here, however there was a wasp nest just inside the portal and I really did not feel like battling wasps this far out. Plus... I was really really tired by this time. LOL excuses excuses, I know. This will be the first place I start next time I am back this way. :) Plus this was near the top of the mountain, so it was almost certainly a vertical shaft and I did not have any climbing gear in my pack.

Here are some pics of interesting stuff and views around the mine.

This was the range I left.

As I keep going North, this will be the range I explore next week! :)

This was an amazing sunset I caught on the way home.

·
3,389 Posts
Great sunset pictures! What kind of camera are you using?

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter #725
Great sunset pictures! What kind of camera are you using?
Thanks! And I am just using an old galaxy note. Generation 8 I think. It's old but still works okay. I stopped dragging the nikon around a while ago. What are you using for pictures nowadays?

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter #727
Drinking a beer while sitting in the shade and watching the Seguaros sway in the breeze never gets old.
I could not agree more my friend.
How's your weekend going? I was going to go back out today, however I am beat and I need to do work around the home.

·
Registered
2,356 Posts

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter #729
The trails appear to be a bit more friendly in that area.
This area wasn't bad at all, beautiful views and I did not have to really build/fix much of the trails. I think it's probably because of the size of the mine, looked as though it was in operation for a long time. It had some fun bits here and there, however I gave up trying to take pictures of the hairy bits as it never comes across well in 2D. Its so nice covering large sections of desert and never seeing another person, you would have liked it. The desert is usually pretty empty, however when the temps start hitting 100-110-120 the desert is usually all mine. Some years I will wheel all through the worst bits of the summer and never see another person.

·
Registered
185 Posts
I am loading the Jeep, ARB is at 27 degrees, Friday can't come soon enough. Heading up to the mountains to a very remote area, rock crawling, sub-sonics, relaxation, and beer.
It's been too long...

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter #731
I am loading the Jeep, ARB is at 27 degrees, Friday can't come soon enough. Heading up to the mountains to a very remote area, rock crawling, sub-sonics, relaxation, and beer.
It's been too long...
Take lots of pics!! It would be awesome to see the area. I have recently re-discovered how delicious stella cidre is. :)
What are you going to be shooting? I ran though a few hundred rounds of 220g 300blk yesterday.

·
Registered
2,356 Posts
This area wasn't bad at all, beautiful views and I did not have to really build/fix much of the trails. I think it's probably because of the size of the mine, looked as though it was in operation for a long time. It had some fun bits here and there, however I gave up trying to take pictures of the hairy bits as it never comes across well in 2D. Its so nice covering large sections of desert and never seeing another person, you would have liked it. The desert is usually pretty empty, however when the temps start hitting 100-110-120 the desert is usually all mine. Some years I will wheel all through the worst bits of the summer and never see another person.
It's like summer here and cycling. The day is mine. If the others don't ride in the morning they don't ride. Very few people are out in the middle of the day.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter #734
WayWestJeep…. you must put some freakin' miles on your fitbit getting out and walking so far from your Jeep every time you take a picture :giggle:

Nice pics though... ;)
LOL I needed a good laugh, thank you. I have been reviewing records for the last couple of hours, and my eyes feel like they are crossing and/or about to pop out of my head.
I stop and look around a lot when I am out wheeling, and fortunately its very conducive to picture taking. Usually I will see something that looks like it could be a mine, or something interesting and I will stop, then get out and look around with the field glasses. Or, I will park and go for a quick climb or walk around an area. When I leave an area, I have usually covered a good portion on foot as well as in the Jeep. Plus, being in the field I am in, I know there are a lot of people who want to be out in the wilderness and just cant, so....it's nice to hopefully brighten someone's day. That said, if no one likes them, at least I will have lots of pictures for me when I can no longer get out as much or at all. I really hope that is a long way away, however you just never know.
Also, I am glad you liked the pics, feel free to post some of your adventures here. I really like seeing what other people get up to.

·
Registered
2,356 Posts
LOL I needed a good laugh, thank you. I have been reviewing records for the last couple of hours, and my eyes feel like they are crossing and/or about to pop out of my head.
I stop and look around a lot when I am out wheeling, and fortunately its very conducive to picture taking. Usually I will see something that looks like it could be a mine, or something interesting and I will stop, then get out and look around with the field glasses. Or, I will park and go for a quick climb or walk around an area. When I leave an area, I have usually covered a good portion on foot as well as in the Jeep. Plus, being in the field I am in, I know there are a lot of people who want to be out in the wilderness and just cant, so....it's nice to hopefully brighten someone's day. That said, if no one likes them, at least I will have lots of pictures for me when I can no longer get out as much or at all. I really hope that is a long way away, however you just never know.
Also, I am glad you liked the pics, feel free to post some of your adventures here. I really like seeing what other people get up to.
10-4 on old pics to look at.
I have approx. 30 carousels of slides to look at. I got my old slide projecter out a couple weeks ago, started watching slides, and started smiling, then the projector died.
A school teacher is supposed to drag one out of her classrooms attic to give me. It would be nice to view these old slides.
If it were not so expensive I would have them digitized.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter #736
Hello again fellow wheelers and explorers!
I had planned to keep heading North into the range that I had talked about last week, however I was listening to my audio book and missed the exit. I ended up about 40 miles farther West to the next exit and found myself staring at a rather peculiar looking dirt road. I was about to turn around and head back east, when I figured why not poke around and see what is down this road. Well, the area was so interesting I spent two days there. I have never seen so many mines in one place. There are literally hundreds of mines in this area. Most are small and none were super interesting inside, however the area was so beautiful I basically spent two days hiking and exploring. Here are a few pictures of some of what I found.
Hope everyone is having an amazing weekend!
This entrance was a little sketchy as these rickety old boards are over a vertical shaft that went down about a hundred feet or so.

I really thought these rocks were very interesting.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter #738 (Edited)
And a few more!

On my way out I noticed this old graveyard. It has about 40 graves, I am assuming they must be the graves of miners that were working the area. The graves were very old and none of the markings indicating names have survived. I hope whoever they are, they had wonderful, amazing and exciting lives. As far as the area, it is a very beautiful place to spend eternity. Also, if it looks like I am parked too close to the graves, I am parked in the little spot that has been cleared out for vehicles. I of course didn't four wheel into the graveyard or anything.

721 - 740 of 775 Posts