Rubicon Owners Forum banner

581 - 600 of 634 Posts

·
Administrator
10,555 Posts
That was me, makes it easier to follow the edit, you can use brackets [ like this ] and an s and a /s inside the brackets for strikeout. They don't show that in the options bar for some reason.

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
That was me, makes it easier to follow the edit, you can use brackets [ like this ] and an s and a /s inside the brackets for strikeout. They don't show that in the options bar for some reason.
Yeah, I wasn't sure. The new forum just about has me not even wanting to check in.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter #585 (Edited)
It is really impressive that you are able to make something so fantastic. I might take a stab at making a still after I retire. I think I will need lots of projects, I get bored of things pretty quickly. I am super tired, so I could be wrong, but I don't think you have mentioned what generation this setup is? I am going to be really really impressed if you got that on the first build! :)
Thanks for sharing the pics, they are quite nice. Also, I could use a drink after today :p

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter #586 (Edited)
Hello again fellow wheelers! Today was a very long day. I made about 10 miles of new trail while out searching for a mine. My GPS markers put me at 9.8 miles.That's not to mention the hundred plus miles of actual trail. I was on the edges of the area I was at last weekend. I was told there was a vertical shaft that went down about 800 to 1000 feet, however I was not able to locate it. I was able to find two smaller mines, but nothing too exciting. So, I said bye to the area today, and I think next week I am going to head North, and perhaps venture into an area with some trees. Unless, I find anything on the map that looks like my elusive mine.

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
It is really impressive that you are able to make something so fantastic. I might take a stab at making a still after I retire. I think I will need lots of projects, I get bored of things pretty quickly. I am super tired, so I could be wrong, but I don't think you have mentioned what generation this setup is? I am going to be really really impressed if you got that on the first build! :)
Thanks for sharing the pics, they are quite nice. Also, I could use a drink after today :p
I like the terrain you get into on your outings. If I were there I'd be whacking rocks looking for fossils and interesting rocks, and when I was ready to kickoff, I'd go to a pretty spot and watch the sun come up one last time, just me, my Lord, and nature. lol
The still I built is second generation. I bought a kit off of Ebay, but never used it. It's small and hanging on a nail in the shop.
I went on a distilling forum and before the other was built the small still would not be very useful for my large boiler (keg). So I read, looked, ask several questions, and came up with what I have now.
Some people will have you believe this is rocket science, it's not.
  1. The stuff I made is sour mash, something simple to start. After doing stripping runs, then a final spirit run, making cuts, proofing to 62-65%abv, I've got most aging with oak, but put a pint of home canned cherries in one jar. The jar in the pic is after about two weeks.

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
Wife and I visited a rum factory somewhere in the eastern Caribbean (we've been to so many of the islands when we were cruising in our sailboat), it was interesting to follow the process from crushing the cane to the final product.
I visited an island. Went to a store snf they were doi g samples. The big ole woman took a liking to me, filled me with sames, and I was drunk when I left.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter #591
I like the terrain you get into on your outings. If I were there I'd be whacking rocks looking for fossils and interesting rocks, and when I was ready to kickoff, I'd go to a pretty spot and watch the sun come up one last time, just me, my Lord, and nature. lol
The still I built is second generation. I bought a kit off of Ebay, but never used it. It's small and hanging on a nail in the shop.
I went on a distilling forum and before the other was built the small still would not be very useful for my large boiler (keg). So I read, looked, ask several questions, and came up with what I have now.
Some people will have you believe this is rocket science, it's not.
  1. The stuff I made is sour mash, something simple to start. After doing stripping runs, then a final spirit run, making cuts, proofing to 62-65%abv, I've got most aging with oak, but put a pint of home canned cherries in one jar. The jar in the pic is after about two weeks.
Well, if life goes according to plan, one day when I am very old something similar will happen. :) That still really does look fantastic, so the big question is, how does it taste? I have been trying to get on here and reply, I have just been ridiculously busy with work. I was so tired today, I basically just stayed home and roamed around the property.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter #592
Hello again fellow wheelers. Today was a bit of a slow start to the weekend, just stayed at home relaxing. I got a cool picture of the jeep and roamed around the property with the dogs for a couple of hours. Took another selfie for the thread while I was roaming around with the pups, it's always nice to know what I look like in case you see me on the trail. Nice easy start to the weekend. Hope everyone had a good week. Tomorrow I wheel!! LOL

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
Well, if life goes according to plan, one day when I am very old something similar will happen. :) That still really does look fantastic, so the big question is, how does it taste? I have been trying to get on here and reply, I have just been ridiculously busy with work. I was so tired today, I basically just stayed home and roamed around the property.
It taste pretty good once you proof it with a little water. I have it proofed at 62-65%abv on oak. In a couple of months it should even better.
I am going out this morning to make a bit more, then I have another sour mash ferment that has to be run then I'm going to do an all grain, corn, peated barley, and maybe some red wheat.
I need to buy a BAP (Big Ass Pot) before I can make it, and a 30 gallon stainless pot is not cheap. The weather has changed from winter to summer, so I'll be on my bike a lot more.
I also took a selfie with my Wuhanvirus cycling gear on. lol

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter #596
It taste pretty good once you proof it with a little water. I have it proofed at 62-65%abv on oak. In a couple of months it should even better.
I am going out this morning to make a bit more, then I have another sour mash ferment that has to be run then I'm going to do an all grain, corn, peated barley, and maybe some red wheat.
I need to buy a BAP (Big Ass Pot) before I can make it, and a 30 gallon stainless pot is not cheap. The weather has changed from winter to summer, so I'll be on my bike a lot more.
I also took a selfie with my Wuhanvirus cycling gear on. lol
LOL that is hilarious, I really dig your new cycling gear! That really does look like some quality shine. Beats taking vodka and dropping in a few sticks of cinnamon & apple and waiting a week. Now that I think about it, that really didn't turn out too well.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter #597
Hello everyone,
I hope you are all having an amazing weekend. I decided to hike and explore a nature preserve that is just west of me. Not hard wheeling by any means, but the scenery and hiking was beautiful in only ways Arizona can offer.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter #599
Yep, ought to scare a few people. lol
If I wore that get up on the bike I wnot be able the breathe in the heat, and I'm sure the shield would magnify the suns rays.
My task today. View attachment 74185
That is seriously one cool setup. I really wish you lived closer!!

581 - 600 of 634 Posts