Rubicon Owners Forum banner

561 - 580 of 614 Posts

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #561
Still images never do justice to how steep or off-camber the trails are. Videos are a bit better especially when the cam is mounted on the Jeep. I have some early YouTube trail videos with the cam on the dash, some of the shots all you can see is blue sky when I'm climbing - then you rely on the spotter (unless you are solo.)

I've never lost gear oil and I've been almost on my side before with the Dana 44 or the D60. Wrap a small rag around the top of the vent tube to use as a telltale.
That's a great idea. I was going to check it out yesterday, however it was raining and I did not have a lot of energy. I might slide under there today after I make it through some of these reports. I might invest in a camera to put on the Jeep, I am not sure if anyone would be interested in seeing me wheel around the desert. Perhaps I will make some youtube videos of my adventures for all our snowbound members hahaha.
Hope you are having a great weekend.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #563 (Edited)
Well, not a lot going on this weekend. Was able to get out just across from my house and do some long range shooting in the wind and rain, which is always fun and good for keeping the skill set up. I love the desert when it rains, smells so amazing.
Hope everyone has had a fantastic weekend. Post some pictures of your Jeeps, I am beginning to think I am the only one who wheels hahahaha!

This is actually in the front yard LOL. I have left the Jeep in this wash before and found it sunk to the axles after a rain that was not predicted. :p

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #565 (Edited)
Hello again everyone!
Hope you are all having an excellent weekend. As for me, I went out Friday and just got back in a couple hours ago. Beautiful weekend full of hiking, exploring mines and a whole lot of shooting. Basically I made one complete trip around this mountain range. Here are a few pictures along the way. I also found a bunch of copper, or I think it was copper.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #573

·
Registered
2,226 Posts
That is a very nice looking setup. Wish we lived closer, I would have to find a way to buy or barter a swig or two from you.
I'd likely give it to ya since I rarely drink. This was my first batch, sour mash corn whiskey, 6 gallons. I put a pint of home canned cherries in one of the half gallons. I am putting g charred oak in the rest. When I can afford a very large stainless pot and a 50' roll of copper I am goi g to do an all grain, resembling a Irish or Scotch whiskey.
The pot needs to be around 30 gallons to cook the grain in and the copper is to make a chiller for the wash.
Thank You on the construction comment of the still. Once I gathered all the materials it took about a week to put it all together.
I used oxy/acetone to solder it. It's copper pipe with stainless tri-clamp ferrules.
It was fun building as I like building, modifying things.
I also like to cook so this right up my alley.
The grains like barley is expensive. I have been buying small quantities in preparation for all grain. I can get crack corn, oats, and elbon rye from the feed store at a reasonable price, but the barley is bought online, and the shipping causes the price to be high, almost 100 bucks for 50 pounds of barley, and some of the specialty barleys are even higher, then there are the enzymes for sugar conversion.
It is fun and interesting though.
Some time in the future I may modify this pot still to where I can use it for a refux still, but I doubt it since I mostly like whiskey.
My pot with the thumper is giving me spirits at 85%abv (alcohol by volume). It has to be proofed down to 40-60%abv for different types of whiskey. I proofed mine at around 65% before oaking and aging. It's still pretty strong, but if you add ice or water the proof will go down anyway. Proofing adds water which is needed to get the flavors out of the oak. More water more flavor from the oak. I am on the high side, but it will still age well. One day I may get a small keg, but they are expensive also.
Oh well, I've yapped long enough.

·
Registered
2,226 Posts
That is one impressive plumbing job! ?
Thanks John!
The hardest piece was the condenser. It's a tube in shell type. Mine has four 1/2 tubes inside the two inch pipe/shell along with a few baffle plates to cause the cooling water to swirl. The condenser works really well. The vapor at the input will burn you, but less than an inch down and the pipe is cool to the touch.
I've got a 400gph pond pump which feeds water out of the tote in the background.
I need to go vote, but don't feel like moving. lol
I do not like the ne forum sw either, it's still slow for me with mobile firefox.

·
Administrator
10,540 Posts
...I do not like the ne forum sw either, it's still slow for me with mobile firefox.
Yes, it still sucks, I find it difficult to believe how the developers could have gotten this so wrong. I'm guessing they are millennials that think Facebook, Twitter, etc are models for a forum design. This has happened on a group (sort of like a forum) for a technology product (Ubiquiti) I would visit occasionally. They redesigned the user interface or went to a different platform to where it was basically unusable. I was one voice out of a mass protest.

·
Registered
2,226 Posts
Yes, it still sucks, I find it difficult to believe how the developers could have gotten this so wrong. I'm guessing they are millennials that think Facebook, Twitter, etc are models for a forum design. This has happened on a group (sort of like a forum) for a technology product (Ubiquiti) I would visit occasionally. They redesigned the user interface or went to a different platform to where it was basically unusable. I was one voice out of a mass protest.
Can you imagine what this could try country will be like in another 15-20 years, it's pretty disgusting now when you get away from the like minded.

·
Registered
2,226 Posts
I meant country above, stupid spell corrector. I thought I had it turned off, I guess the recent phone update screwed with my settings again.
Oh, and the forum is as slow as ever. I think the fix is to go back to the old forum. This ultra sonic, slimmed down, millennium software is not getting it for me.

561 - 580 of 614 Posts