Rubicon Owners Forum banner

481 - 500 of 850 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
How long ago was that? Hopefully not too long ago. I always wheel on my own, so I am pretty prepared, as far as people to notify.....not anyone I can really think of there LOL. Thanks for the reply.

A few years ago was the last time.

Heck, I went in by myself when my TJ was stock and on street tires with no winch. Probably not the best idea as I had never run the trail in a rig with tires smaller than 33s but I was meeting up with friends and they were aware of my plans.
Have run it many times by myself in my old Cherocar but it's been many years since I've done that.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter #482 (Edited)
A few years ago was the last time.

Heck, I went in by myself when my TJ was stock and on street tires with no winch. Probably not the best idea as I had never run the trail in a rig with tires smaller than 33s but I was meeting up with friends and they were aware of my plans.
Have run it many times by myself in my old Cherocar but it's been many years since I've done that.
That's good to know, thank you. I am slowly climbing way North into Utah now. Hitting all the little ranges and cool looking mountains that I never got to climb when I younger and chasing the big hills. I will eventually make my way over LOL. I have had a lot of fun in Cherokee/Pioneers too.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter #483
Today was a very amazing Arizona day! I did get rained on while climbing, which was nice. Cloud cover was thick so it was pretty warm most of the day. Had a nice meal while climbing. All in all it was a pretty fantastic climb. Whoever you are reading this, I hope your day was as amazing as mine.
One more day of wheeling to go!!! :)

Attachments

·
Registered
2,441 Posts
That's what I was thinking too.
I looked but I didn't see a sign saying D'Anconia Copper anywhere. :p

I looked it up, and the green could be any number of minerals, but I'm still guessing copper, and to CMA I'll say it could be any number of other minerals. LOL
Was the green just on the surface? Was iron mined around the area?
I wonder if the local native americans had a name for the one hill in your pics.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter #486 (Edited)
I looked it up, and the green could be any number of minerals, but I'm still guessing copper, and to CMA I'll say it could be any number of other minerals. LOL
Was the green just on the surface? Was iron mined around the area?
I wonder if the local native americans had a name for the one hill in your pics.
I am with you on copper, I will stay with the original assessment as well.
I am not sure, I have never tracked down any of the names. I wasn't a very tall mountain, however it was a pretty difficult climb. I also ran into this guy when I got near the top. Snakes always pop up in the strangest of places LOL. The Arizona desert even in winter is not for the faint of heart. Usually this time of year they are underground taking a nice nap.

Attachments

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter #488 (Edited)
Reminds me of this little critter I ran across at Hell Hole last year...

I run across them a lot when I am hiking. I have found that as a last ditch effort, when it comes to the late seen and malevolent snake, a quick step on the old noggin will placate him until he calms a bit. :p
The bad ones are when you are climbing and you find yourself eyeball to eyeball suddenly.

Attachments

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter #489
Hello again fellow wheelers! Hope you all had an excellent weekend. I usually post my weekend pics throughout the weekend, however due to some springs ruining both the pleasure of off-roading and my trusty jeeps capability, I was just angry most of the weekend LOL. So here are a few pics from my weekend travels. Finished exploring one area and hit a few close places that are always fun.

Attachments

·
Registered
395 Posts
I have to say... it's got to be hard to stay angry with those views.

Are those mines on some kind of map, or something you randomly come across?
Do you go into them too?

Good luck with your issues.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter #491 (Edited)
I have to say... it's got to be hard to stay angry with those views.

Are those mines on some kind of map, or something you randomly come across?
Do you go into them too?

Good luck with your issues.
Well, I it was pretty nice, but seriously those springs really ruined the whole weekend. I think it was mostly because I had such high hopes for them. As for the mines, I will usually research an area that I have found signs of waste rock and see if I can find mine data. Most of them I find on accident. I go into all of them if I can, unless they look unstable or the o2 sensor goes off while I am inside. Most of the time when the o2 sensor goes off it's usually just rotting wood that triggers it. If you are in Arizona I would be happy to take you into some. I just tie off on the front of the Jeep and abseil down if its a vertical shaft, or walk on in if the adit is easily accessible and hasn't been gated. A lot of times on the inside there will be a vertical shaft to descend to lower levels. Usually like a 100, 200, 300 level and so on. It really is a lot of fun! You can also find old dynamite boxes, old tools, miner graffiti, pieces of machinery, old ore carts and whatnot.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter #492
Back in the saddle again! I pulled the less than wonderful front springs off, shaved them down with the grinder, repainted them and put them back on. It's not totally noise/rub free, but I spent the whole day out shooting, wheeling, hiking and all was well. Explored a new area today and found a house out in the middle of nowhere. There was some really great climbing as well. Hope everyone's weekend is off to a good start.

Attachments

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter #493 (Edited)
I spent the entire day climbing and exploring old mine sites. Beautiful views and a couple of interesting moments. I almost ended up at the bottom of the mountain via a roll vs a trail :p
A lot of these old mining roads are really narrow, and when the rain water washes down it will leave some really deep & narrow washes running through the roads which of course goes right off the edge. I have gotten pretty used to crossing these, and having half of one or two tires hanging off the edge has become almost second nature. However, today there was some undermining and a section of the road gave way. Luckily when the right rear went down it stopped when the pumpkin hit the ledge bringing everything to a halt. I have to say, having lockers is a wonderful thing. So a few hiccups aside, the day was amazing. Hope everyone got out and put some miles on their Jeeps! :)

Attachments

·
Registered
2,441 Posts
I spent the entire day climbing and exploring old mine sites. Beautiful views and a couple of interesting moments. I almost ended up at the bottom of the mountain via a roll vs a trail :p
A lot of these old mining roads are really narrow, and when the rain water washes down it will leave some really deep & narrow washes running through the roads which of course goes right off the edge. I have gotten pretty used to crossing these, and having half of one or two tires hanging off the edge has become almost second nature. However, today there was some undermining and a section of the road gave way. Luckily when the right rear went down it stopped when the pumpkin hit the ledge bringing everything to a halt. I have to say, having lockers is a wonderful thing. So a few hiccups aside, the day was amazing. Hope everyone got out and put some miles on their Jeeps! :)

After riding my bike for several miles, I came home, and my Jeep took me to the Chinese Takeout for some Spring Rolls and Fried Rice. LOL
Your pics are more interesting!

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter #495
After riding my bike for several miles, I came home, and my Jeep took me to the Chinese Takeout for some Spring Rolls and Fried Rice. LOL
Your pics are more interesting!
Hey now, spring rolls and fried rice is nothing to scoff at. :) Chinese food is delicious! Sounds like you had a good weekend.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter #496 (Edited)
Hello again fellow wheelers & explorers! This weekend was packed full of hiking, shooting and exploring. I finally found an old mine that I was looking for. I believe it was a magnesium mine...possibly. Anyway it was a hoot and not one I will probably venture into again. The inside seemed stable, however the outside of the mine had a lot of rock fall happening. I made it all the way to the bottom of the mine(the underground bit), which wasn't too far (compared to other mines where you might walk for 30 minutes or more on a single level). I think it have more lower levels, as at the end it appeared to have a drift that went down. I was not able to make my way any further as it was flooded, and unfortunately I left my scuba gear in my other rig LOL.
Hope you all had an amazing weekend and post some pics of your adventures, it's always nice to see where others get out to.

Attachments

·
Registered
545 Posts
I have a old shaft within a few miles of my house. Although I have sent hours staring into it I have never ventured in. Up here the winter freeze then thaw makes mines very unstable after a few years. The larger ones typically are gated.
We were in Moab a few months ago.

Attachments

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter #500
I have a old shaft within a few miles of my house. Although I have sent hours staring into it I have never ventured in. Up here the winter freeze then thaw makes mines very unstable after a few years. The larger ones typically are gated.
We were in Moab a few months ago.
A lot of times you can tell how far the shaft might go in by the size of the waste rock pile near the entrance. Not always of course, as sometimes the waste rock is used on the access road or taken away to other sites. Post pics of it if you ever get a chance, I like looking at the old mines. They are a lot of fun to venture into. Usually if a mine is unstable you will see a lot of ground-fall or all out collapses. Also, if it has a collapse it's not necessarily unstable in the rest of the mine. It's the false floors that have almost punched my ticket in the past.

Very nice Jeep by the way!

481 - 500 of 850 Posts