Rubicon Owners Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
3,492 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After a trip to Rausch Creek, I finally decided that it would be nice to have a windshield washer again. After about 4 years of no washer bottle, I decided to build one out of aluminum.

I'm a bit rusty with the TIG, but during the leak test only the rubber seal on the pump dripped - 3 drips in 45 minutes. When I final installed it, I used some silicone to help seal it.

I hid most of it in the inner fender.

Everything is tight under the hood.

·
Administrator
15,116 Posts
Good Job !!!

:grin:

·
Premium Member
3,418 Posts
Now that's an A-1 window washer bottle.

·
Administrator
10,919 Posts
Nice welds Don! What did you do for the neck and cap (repurpose or buy new)? (Very anxious to get back to my shop and melt some filler!!)

·
3,492 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Nice welds Don! What did you do for the neck and cap (repurpose or buy new)? (Very anxious to get back to my shop and melt some filler!!)
You can see mostly nice welds...not all of them are very pretty. The inside "T" welds are the most difficult. I found the most success with a sharp tungsten, with the tungsten a touch further out from the torch and hitting it with higher amperage quicker to get the melt puddle started. Some of those welds are still pretty ugly.

I bought the bung and cap from Jegs. The opening is 1.5" and should be good for a washer bottle. It cost just $20.

I had debated on adding a sight gauge on the side using two 90* adapters with a piece of clear tubing (like an Atlas t-case), but that would have run the cost up more than a washer bottle should.

Very nice
Thank you!

Now that's an A-1 window washer bottle.
I definitely spent more money in materials and time than a simple washer bottle should, but the real benefit here was to me using my TIG welder and enjoying a project.

Good Job !!!
:grin:
Thanks Mac!

·
Premium Member
5,182 Posts
FYI Don Advanced Adapters quit putting sight gauges on the t case in 2014 or 2012. Can't remember which. I suspect it was too vulnerable.

·
1,576 Posts
There's something about aluminum welds that look like art. You nailed it!

·
3,492 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Very nice work. Did the fenders you're using require you to delete the factory washer bottle?
The front fenders are Genright highlines; they actually use the OEM inner fender which would allow the washer bottle to live in its stock location.

I have shock towers coming up from the frame to hold coilover shocks - that required me to cut out the inner fender structure where the stock washer bottle lives.

I have also had to move many other items - all those had found a home; now I have a windshield washer!

·
Sarcastic Moderator
14,064 Posts
Nice work. BTW your ugly welds are 10 times better than my best ones.

·
3,492 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'm happy to report that the silicone around the rubber seal did the trick - 48 hours full of windshield washer fluid and not a single drop!

The tank holds almost 1/3 of a gallon - it sure didn't look that big when I built it

1 - 16 of 16 Posts