Rubicon Owners Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What stories do you have about things that break or mods you have done that DC will NOT warranty and what they HAVE warrantied with or without mods. I thought this might be interesting to see if there are vast differences in coverage between dealers in the US and Canada, etc.. :twisted:

G

·
0 Posts
It seems very dealer specific.

I wonder why some dealers are such hard asses and others so lax on it all...

Maybe we should try to compile a list of the more lax dealers that are out there, from our expeirences.

Eventually maybe it could even be used to change the stance of some of the more had ass dealers service departments.

They advertise the thing as an extreme rock crawler, then pull the abuse card once you try to have something done under warranty, I just don't get it.

I can't wait to have mine serviced with 7" of lift on it... Almost just for the fun of it even. lol

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
Place where I bought mine said any suspension lift would void the entire 7/70k drivetrain warranty. They said a body lift was ok but the parts wouldn't be covered.

Kinda dis-heartning when Some of these guy's get new axle's with 4+" of lift.

There is another dealer in a nearby town that is selling a new TJ with a 3" body lift and a bunch of other junk stuck on it so I think I might go up there and talk to them about it.

James

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This is the stuff we all need to know, my dealer told me that the warranty is NOT automaticaly voided due to lifts etc.. that if there are mods to the Rubi "they try to determine" if the mods CAUSED the damage or not, if the mods caused the damage they would not warranty. Hope to see more posts on this. :lol:

ROGER

·
Administrator
15,116 Posts
rule #1

establish a relationship with a dealer..
woked to my advantage in ca. and here in nv

if the service writer knows you from simple things like an oil change
and stuff like that . they tend to extend that fine line of fix it
towards your favor.

XJ fixed past timeline in ca.- fuel injection issue on them
YJ fixed after the 7yrs past - axle replaced on them

the dealer guys can look at my history and know im a regular customer.
to them that makes the diff.

i was told by the service mgr to keep the Rubi to 3.5'' of lift.
(LOL ....paperwork says 3.5'' springs show higher)
reason on his part was thats the size they feel comphy selling off the lot.
said he can back me up .
go in with a new Rubi...talk to the service writers or serv mgr find out
how they are towards lifts tires and engine mods.

mac

·
Premium Member
1,252 Posts
This is what the Service Manager where I bought my Rubicon told me regarding some "Sport" models they sell new with a 4" lift and 32" tires.
That they (dealer service department) will honor the factory warranty on all DC parts, Skyjacker will handle the warranty on their parts, and the company who installed the lift will warranty their labor for one year.

So the deal with my Rubi is that the dealer will accept warranty work on my Rubi with up to 4" of lift and 32" tires for all DC parts.

It really depends on the dealership and your relationship with them.

·
Registered
454 Posts
My dealership was very clear in what they said they would honor. Anything damage that was caused by any aftermarket parts would be un-warantable. Essentially, as long as the assembly hasn't been modified and it hasn't been abused, it will be fixed under warrantee. I think our dealer is really pushing to get the business of the local off-road Jeepers so they are trying to be as lenient as possible. That is why I bought my Jeep from them in the first place. The parts manager has a Rubi with a 4" Teraflex long arm lift with 35" BFG MTs.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Agreed it is very dealer specific. I talked to the service manager before I bought mine about this issue. His comment was "Hey we are not going to measure the height of your Jeep or the size of your tires as long as it is reasonable. We are just going to fix it.” He said if a factory rep. happened to be in the shop when they were working on it, it might be a problem, otherwise, should be no problem. Of course he pointed out that the non-DC parts would not be covered, but that unless it was blatantly obvious that the aftermarket parts had caused the problem, DC parts would continue to be covered.

As was posted earlier, I do “have a relationship” with this dealer and also agree this is very important. Bought an ‘03 Overland from them several months before the Rubi. Bought the prepaid service package on the Overland so they see me quite often.

G

·
0 Posts
Why wouldn't the dealership's service department repair a warranty item? As long as they make the repair and write it up as such DM will foot the bill, and the dealership makes money on the labour. I would think that it wouldn't matter to the service manager wether your Jeep was modified or not - within reason. As noted as long as the modification wasn't the obvious cause of the failure they shouldn't have a problem fixing it, and as long as the part(s) they are repairing are factory issue parts (ie. I wouldn't expect them to repair RE control arm under warranty).

·
Registered
454 Posts
That's a good point. I have never really understood why a dealership gives you grief about warantee. If it is something they can pass back to DC why do they care? They make tons of money doing warantee repairs because the parts counter charges a markup and the mechanics get paid. You would think they would be falling over themselves to do repairs under warantee.

Ramtuff, you would probably be able to comment on this better than anyone.

·
Registered
315 Posts
i agree that if your a regular face they will be more willing to do more for you. at regular oil changes talk to the guys and make small talk and ask thier advice about maintence. they have good day's and bad ones, so a no on monday might be a yes on friday. my dealer said a 3" lift max.

·
Registered
478 Posts
If you can, keep in contact with your selling dealer. If you do regular maintenance with them and they know you they are more likely to look the other way on damaged parts. Also be realistic, damage and abuse are not normally covered whether you drive a jeep or a 300M. Don't be afraid to ask questions and tell them the whole story. If someone is lying through their tooth at me I'm less likely to give them warranty on parts let alone labor. If you felt ripped off at your selling dealer find a new dealer. In our area of about 100,000 people there are 6 Chrysler dealers, so if our customers are not happy they have plenty of options. We try very hard to keep our customers happy, we have been the #1 dealer in all of Canada for the last two sales quarters. You can't please all the people all of the time, but you can try.

G

·
0 Posts

Dealers are re-imbursed for parts used to handle warranty work , but are
paid a very low labor rate for warranty . Consumers pay much higher
prices .

The paperwork required for warranty work is the key to DCX accepting
the claim . All wording and phrases must be to DCX standards . If not ,
the dealer eats the cost of work .

After market parts are not covered by DCX or any part damaged by the
installation of after market parts . The dealer must prove that after
market part caused the damage .

Example: Body lift would not be the cause of internal engine lubrication
problems , but could be blamed for many other failures .

After market wheels could be blamed for wheel bearing and
other suspension parts failures .

There are 5 Jeep dealers near me , but only 1 knows how to properly
handle the tough warranty issues . The others just BS their way by telling
customers that the problem is not a covered item . Regretfully , most
jeepers just bitch and moan about it and do not follow up with DCX , or do
not get another opinion . :(

I have the same problem with Ford , but I have 1 dealer that will fix or
warranty anything - no questions asked ! They know how to make the
system work - they replaced 2 turbos in 1 week ! :)

G

·
0 Posts
I have to agree that it is all dependent on building a relationship with the dealer. My dealer took a reasonable stance, i.e., Jeep parts unaffected by the modifications will be covered under the warranty. I keep hoping Jeep will bring out a turbocharger!

Dan

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
Is there a number to call DCX to get a ruling on this matter or does the final word lie with the dealer?

My main concern is Axle's/Axle control arm brackets. I would think they would have a hard time proving that a lift caused a motor, tranny or T-case to go bad.

I was doing ok till I saw Ken's rubi. Since it's pretty much what I'd want to build it gave me the itch.

G

·
0 Posts

James ,

Each manufacturer has zone or district representative . Your dealer can
schedule an appointment to review or resolve problems with the
representative .

Part of the dealer evaluation for customer service is based on problem
resolution at the local level . Manufacturers track how many times a
dealer is unable to solve a problem if the issue is elevated to the zone
or district level .

Understanding your vehicle and documenting a problem is the key to
satisfactory service . Ask your service tech to call up the service
bulletins or warranty / recall notices for you model year .

G

·
0 Posts
warranty

the first step is to use common sense on what you covered,if your running 37s and burn up a auto tranny,chances are real good that your eat that one, plus if mods get in the way of a covered repair, youll have to pay some $ to cover the extra time, working as a line tech in a dodge dealership for 13 years lets you know what should break and what shouldnt, as someone else pointed out, dealers hate warranty work because the pay sux on about 90% of the jobs, if the jeep is modified thats just the easy way out for the dealers, its best to find a dealer where the techs drive lifted jeeps, i just replaced axle seals on a lifted jeep last week, we dont care as long as it evident that mods caused problems, ie; 10" wide wheels with like 1" backspacing,33s= bad wheel bearings, nobody in their right mind would warranty that, like i said,use common sense on what you want

1 - 17 of 17 Posts