Rubicon Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So now that I've installed my new bumpers and winch, according to the Warn manual you need to first re-spool the cable prior to first use. It says to use 500lbs and re-spool all except the last 5 turns. My question is, what do you guys do to prepare your winch? I was thinking of just hooking up to my Xterra, leaving it in nuetral and winching it in with the Jeep. All of this on a level road of coarse. Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Chris

G

·
0 Posts
Hmmm, Yeah, I spooled it out on first use, to winch a cherokee off a rock... lol

I actually did not know you were supposed to do that.... Does it say why they want you to do that???

·
Premium Member
4,195 Posts
I would spool it or whatever the instructions say but whatever you do, the winch cable is going to get kinked and messed up. Just do the best ya can untill you can afford synthetic cord, so dont get to wrapped up around the instructions :p

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
There are two reasons to do this. The first is to stretch the wire rope. This is needed for any new rope. The second is to prevent biting. If the lower wraps aren't tight to the drum and you put a load on the outer wraps, the rope will bite down into the lower wraps and potentially cut or damage the rope. Its not that hard to have someone pay out and then respool your line even with their bodyweight against it. And it makes the rope lay neat and prevent corrosion from the elements.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Re-spooling winch

This is lawyer speak for those asses that are too stupid to use the winch. I will unspool the ramsey when I need to and re spool it later.

·
Premium Member
4,159 Posts
Re: Re-spooling winch

Biker Mike said:
This is lawyer speak for those asses that are too stupid to use the winch. I will unspool the ramsey when I need to and re spool it later.
No this is a good safety thing that NEEDS to be done. Lothos is correct in what can happen if you do not do it. The last thing you want is the rope to stretch or go slack for 3"- 12" while you are pulling someone [potentially yourself] out of a precarious situation.

Your best bet is to get another vehicle and have the person ride the brakes a little while you pull them in. While you are pulling them in, do your best to wrap the cable around the drum as neatly as possible.

Take the time to do it correctly so you or someone else doesnt get hurt!!!

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
Remember guys, this isn't something that only gets done for a new winch rope, its something you should do when the day is done and you're cleaning up. Preventative care is the best.

·
Registered
315 Posts
i used the tree in my front yard, spooled out the cable, hooked up to the tree then pull the e-brake and reeled the line in. worked great.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks everyone. I was aware of the issues with not doing it, but just wanted to see what everyone else has done. I'll re-spool/stretch it and then should be good to go.

Chris

·
Registered
843 Posts
I agree

Respool it and lube the cable (especially the lower wraps). You'll appreciate things best when done right and you'll be sure to get you moneys worth from paying a little atention to details. Hopefully you'll winch often, enjoy! As I was told, "If you're not using your winch, you're not Jeepin"

·
Registered
308 Posts
OK, I give up. What are you lubing the cable with??

I've heard lots of 'do and don'ts '

Thanks, Chris

·
Registered
843 Posts
Good question

I use a dry marine lubricant for the cable. It is very important NOT to use a wet lube as dirt will adhere and cause rapid wear or failure and perhaps slippage (tight spooling) on the drum layer. I don't recall the name of the product but I will look in my garage this evening and post it. I was required to use this on my boats winches and anchor winch and it has served me will and keep cable shedding to a minimum.

·
Registered
843 Posts
Elff

Elff, you must have Jeeps on your mind, I guess you meant KY LOL

G

·
0 Posts
I found a nearby guardrail post at the top of a straight street with a decent slope. Just pulled myself up to it while guiding the cable.

·
Registered
186 Posts
On this topic, what is everyone using for batteries for their winches. I'm thinking Optima Yellow top, but there are so many models that supposedly fit (3478DT, DT34/78. YEL 34, DT 75) Any other brand options?

·
Sarcastic Moderator
14,064 Posts
there are speciality wire lubes out there and there are wire protectors out therem, they are usually 2 different things. Dry lube (such as graphite) will lube tte rope and prevent damage while winching but may not prevent corrosion. Most corrosion additives will be organic liquids/oils with rust preventatives in them. Most rust preventatives will also act a lubes. Depending on conditions one may be preferable over the other.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts