Rubicon Owners Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a Warn winch that came with the "Advanced Wireless Controller". If I fully charge the controller via the USB plug and then set it aside, it is completely dead within a week. Does anyone else have this problem?

The battery is a Li-ion 3.7v 900mAh pack with a plug that plugs into the circuit board.

I called Warn and they say it should last at least 2 weeks. My question is why only 2 weeks? Something in the remote is draining the battery when it is turned off.

Kent
N6WT

·
Administrator
11,161 Posts
Hi Kent and welcome. My guess is the controller either has a problem or it's poorly designed - apparently part of the circuitry is always kept alive. There are ultra low power consumption components which can stand by for weeks and weeks.

Is the battery pack removable?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
John

Thanks for the reply.

Yes, it is removable.

In researching this I have found a few others that are having this problem from other forums. Apparently, the batteries are of poor quality and the controller does have a parasitic drain even when powered off. Others have said the winch has let them down when they go to use it, the controller won't power up even when plugged in. The battery is toast. This winch has no other way to control it.

I am currently trying to find a replacement battery so I can have a couple on hand just in case. I am finding this is difficult because the battery is a 3 wire design. The third wire is for a termo resistor that keeps the battery from overheating while charging. I have found some replacements but with 800 mAh not like the original 900mAh but it has the 3 wires and no plug so now also looking for the tiny plug too. All the batteries I have found will come directly from China, so many weeks for delivery.

I guess I could order from Warn, but where is the fun in that?

TNX 73
Kent
N6WT

Attachments

·
3,602 Posts
Kent, I would only consider a wireless controller as a backup. What model of winch are you running? There has to be another way around this. Warn is a reputable company; hopefully they can help find a suitable solution as well.

Reactions: johncanfield

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Kent, I would only consider a wireless controller as a backup. What model of winch are you running? There has to be another way around this. Warn is a reputable company; hopefully they can help find a suitable solution as well.
Mouse

The winch is a Zeon 12-S Platinum. It is what I would consider the FlagShip of the Warn line of winches. I have it installed on my 2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon.

There is no other way to control the winch. Only with the wireless controller.

I agree, Warn is a fine company and has done well by me in the past. This is making me rethink this. As I said I am not the only one with this problem.

What is disturbing is when I called Warn about this it was like they have never heard of this happening before. I'm sure at this point they have no plans to fix it.

Kent

·
3,602 Posts
I did some reading on your winch - it is a very nice unit. I agree this is Warn's flagship, and the remote looks pretty slick. I see there is a optional control pack relocation kit, but that still looks to be controlled by the remote. Short of wiring it yourself, I don't see many easy solutions.

Reviewing the owners manual, I see that the remote can be recharged via a USB port. Are you able to use the remote with it plugged in for charging?

Here is a picture of the remote for our viewers:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I did some reading on your winch - it is a very nice unit. I agree this is Warn's flagship, and the remote looks pretty slick. I see there is a optional control pack relocation kit, but that still looks to be controlled by the remote. Short of wiring it yourself, I don't see many easy solutions.

Reviewing the owners manual, I see that the remote can be recharged via a USB port. Are you able to use the remote with it plugged in for charging?

Here is a picture of the remote for our viewers:
Mouse

Yes, the controller can be used while plugged into a USB port in the truck.

I'm sure rewiring would void any warranty I have.

Warn just sent me an email about this. I will play the game for a while to see if they will acknowledge there is a problem.

·
Administrator
11,161 Posts
.......What is disturbing is when I called Warn about this it was like they have never heard of this happening before. I'm sure at this point they have no plans to fix it.
The denial by Warn is very typical of a company that won't admit to a problem because of the possible expenses of fixing the problem and/or liability issues.
On my motorhome roof I had a King Dome satellite dish (enclosed in a plastic dome) that starting thumping when we were on the road. Stopped at a truck stop, got on the roof and found several screws had backed out of the dome and the dome was almost ready to fly off. Heard a very similar story from someone who's dome actually flew off the roof. I had a contact at King Dome and emailed them about the problem. "No, we've never heard of that happening before..." Right and you are a liar.
[rant off]

Back to the problem. Check RC suppliers (like Hobby King) - maybe they a suitable battery you can hack.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Back to the problem. Check RC suppliers (like Hobby King) - maybe they a suitable battery you can hack.
John
I have found several good candidates for the replacement battery. I even found the original battery in China but the cost to ship 2 of them is $60. The other option is a battery that has the same specs but 800 mAh, but I would have to find a new Molex connector. It should not be to hard to do.

I have been in contact with someone at Warn. I sent them an email telling them the problem and pointing out I was not the only one with this problem. He has agreed to send me a new remote. I will take him up on the offer and see if it is an upgraded unit that won't have this problem. I'm sure nothing will happen till after the first of the year.

I will post my findings when I get the new remote and test it.

Oh by the way nice shack!! I'm surprised I don't have you in my log.

TNX 73
Kent
N6WT

·
Administrator
11,161 Posts
Glad to hear Warn is taking care of you. If they don't want your old remote back, it would be fascinating to compare the two circuit boards and batteries.

Thanks for the kind comment about my ham station, it's my dream station and tower/antenna. I primarily work FT8, I've collected a bunch of countries even with the terrible propagation.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
John

My shack is also my dream station. I did the CW Acadamy last year and have really enjoyed Morse Code.

I do some Summits on the Air activations. It is the main reason I am setting up my Gladiator.

Ham Radio is a great hobby!
N6WT Callsign Page

Merry Christmas!

Kent
N6WT

·
Sarcastic Moderator
14,090 Posts
Have you considered putting a switch between the winch batteey and the controllee to stop the drain?

·
Administrator
11,161 Posts
John

My shack is also my dream station. I did the CW Acadamy last year and have really enjoyed Morse Code.

I do some Summits on the Air activations. It is the main reason I am setting up my Gladiator.

Ham Radio is a great hobby!
N6WT Callsign Page

Merry Christmas!

Kent
N6WT
Nice station Kent, we have a sort of similar antenna/tower setup.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Have you considered putting a switch between the winch batteey and the controllee to stop the drain?
Yes, I have seen a post on another forum that someone installed a switch to disconnect the battery. I would like Warn to fix the problem. In my opinion, the circuitry should be redesigned. If I install a switch they will not fix the problem.

Kent

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
So the update on this is nothing has happened. The holidays have come and I'm sure Warn has taken a couple of weeks off. When or if they send me a new controller I will let you know what happens.

Kent
N6WT

·
Registered
35 Posts
So the update on this is nothing has happened. The holidays have come and I'm sure Warn has taken a couple of weeks off. When or if they send me a new controller I will let you know what happens.

Kent
N6WT
For what it's worth, bought a warn remote controller a year ago an used it once. tried it today and it works very well.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts