Rubicon Owners Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok, i skipped my chores and decided to crawl under the jeep and take some pics.

Driver's side mount. oozing with way too much thread locker

Driver's side mount, up and over driveshaft

Front bolts mount plate to brackets

Passenger side mount

Side View and two rear mounting points. Since there were only two bolts to hold the two pieces together, I replaced with rear hardware that came with the skid with 5/16 Grade 8 bolts.

installation tips

1) control arm bolts: don't forget to do something to make sure the axle doesn't shift when you unbolt the control arms, i did. luckily, i did one arm at a time so i only lost about 20 minutes doing trial and error with a floor jack trying to get the control arm hole to line up with the control arm bracket hole.

2) bracketry: i didn't unhook the drive shaft, but i could see where it would be helpful. if you do disconnect the shaft, you could pre-assemble everything and then just lift it up into place. i fed the driver's side bracket up and over the shaft working from the inside out towards the wheel (right to left). it was pretty easy actually. then i loosely threaded the nut on the control arm bolt. next on the passenger side, i put the two shims on the control arm bolt, then the passenger side bracket, loosely threaded the nut on the bolt, and then clamped the two brackets together (because they didn't want to play nice and just stay where they should). *Note, in the end, i only needed ONE shim. more on that later.

3) next, i lifted the plate into place using a milk crate and pieces of wood (more stable than a floor jack, stayed balanced while i tinkered). i tried to line up the bolt holes of all three pieces of the skid (two brackets and plate - all have holes to align). i realized that i couldn align the bolts if i used both shims, so i had to un-do everything on the passenger side and remove one shim. this worked out much better. then i got the biggest bolt in first (passenger side), and loosely threaded the nut on top. then i worked my way from the driver's side over to the passenger side with the four smaller bolts. i left them all loosely threaded until the last one was in. then i tightened all five down. next i tightened the control arm bolts to spec.

4) the skid plate: i used a floor jack to lift the rear of the skid up to the lip of the transfer case shovel. a right angle drill would have been very helpful to drill the holes. it was a PITA squeezing a full size drill between the floor and the shovel. or you could mark the holes and remove the shovel to drill if you are less lazy than i am. my holes are slightly ****-eyed because of the drill size thing.

5) drilled holes: coated the exposed holes with come black touch-up paint i had in the garage and then mounted the bolts and tightened to spec. as mentioned above, i didn't use the supplied hardware here. with only two bolts, i decided to use some 5/16 Grade 8 bolts, lock washers and nuts for a little extra strength.

6) lastly, i rechecked the tightness of all bolts.

thats it. about 2 1/2 hours including 20 minutes for my mistake and a trip to ACE Hardware for the Grade 8 hardware.

G

·
0 Posts
Looks really nice. I don't understand why you needed to pull out the control arm bolts, it looks like you could have installed it with out pulling them, maybe just backing them out to the edge. I know I am missing something here.

Ron

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
PBR Stitch said:
Looks really nice. I don't understand why you needed to pull out the control arm bolts, it looks like you could have installed it with out pulling them, maybe just backing them out to the edge. I know I am missing something here.

Ron
have to flip one of them around when you install the plate. That I know.

·
Registered
454 Posts
They give you new control arm bolts. The stock ones (at least on mine) wouldn't have been long enough to go through both the control arm and the ~7/16" steel brackets.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
both of mine were already turned inward. i just figured that the WARN ones were stronger than stock bolts so i used them.

and triver is probably right (i didn't check), i don't think the stock bolts would have been long enough anyway.

G

·
0 Posts
Hmm still confused, but I guess this was the answer.

Either they are longer, or stronger or you need to flip them, any way follow the directions!

Sound good?

Ron

G

·
0 Posts
Mike

Nice informative write up, very helpful. The control arm mounting tabs look to be improved over past models.

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Mike Holmes said:
both of mine were already turned inward. i just figured that the WARN ones were stronger than stock bolts so i used them.

and triver is probably right (i didn't check), i don't think the stock bolts would have been long enough anyway.
Wow that is impressive..I guess your JP was built on a Wednesday.. They were not hung over and wern't in a rush to get out of the building.

·
Premium Member
4,195 Posts
AWSOME AWSOME AWSOME..THANKS FOR THE PICS. I am installing the same thing this weekend..Do you think I could put my jeep up on jackstands and do it?
Pete

·
Registered
333 Posts
How thick is the actual skid? I have read somewhere (here or JU) that the warn skid was a little flimsy compared to skid row ect...

·
Registered
326 Posts
NoLight said:
How thick is the actual skid? I have read somewhere (here or JU) that the warn skid was a little flimsy compared to skid row ect...
You will bend it if you try hard enough. It's pretty tough, but could use a bit more beef. If I was doing it again (I have Rusty's which is the same design) I would run two lengths of angle iron down the top of the plate.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
LILRDJP said:
Mike Holmes said:

Wow that is impressive..I guess your JP was built on a Wednesday.. They were not hung over and wern't in a rush to get out of the building.
hmm, anybody else already have the control arm bolts facing inward? if so, do you have/not have cam bolts?

just trying to find a pattern, or if mine is fluke.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
petesjeeprubi said:
AWSOME AWSOME AWSOME..THANKS FOR THE PICS. I am installing the same thing this weekend..Do you think I could put my jeep up on jackstands and do it?
Pete
not sure. wont this pull your axle down (under its own weight + weight of the wheels and tires) and put pressure on the control arms? if so, that may be a problem when messing with the CA bolts.

maybe someone else can chime in.

·
Registered
454 Posts
I wouldn't bother with jackstands. If you do the job on level ground and the Jeep doesn't move then you will have no problems putting the bolts back in. Ideally you want to have the Jeep on perfectly level ground such that you don't have to leave the handbrake on.

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Mike Holmes said:
LILRDJP said:
[quote="Mike Holmes":24kmo2fe]both of mine were already turned inward. i just figured that the WARN ones were stronger than stock bolts so i used them.

hmm, anybody else already have the control arm bolts facing inward? if so, do you have/not have cam bolts?

just trying to find a pattern, or if mine is fluke.[/quote:24kmo2fe]

Cam Bolts?.......There has not been Cam bolts on the JP since 2000.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Mike Holmes said:

just trying to find a pattern, or if mine is fluke.

Mine were facing inward too (I have the adjustable cam bolts from the factory--build date of 10/02)...

I have the Warn/Mopar skid and a clamp is useful (as mentioned) when installing to keep the brackets from shifting apart....

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Fat Tony said:
Mine were facing inward too (I have the adjustable cam bolts from the factory--build date of 10/02)...
what?? havent you heard, there haven't been cam bolts on jeeps since 2000? DC should stop being so sneaky and stop putting bolts that look indentical to cam bolts onto jeeps. i consider that fraud!

build date 09/02

·
Registered
130 Posts
Mike Holmes said:
[quote="Fat Tony":1i7ixz2v]
what?? havent you heard, there haven't been cam bolts on jeeps since 2000? DC should stop being so sneaky and stop putting bolts that look indentical to cam bolts onto jeeps. i consider that fraud!

build date 09/02
[/quote:1i7ixz2v]

Well, since I don't see smiley faces, I guess you're serious...

My setup looks very different from your picture...the fasteners are oblong in shape and they point in the direction of the lines that are on the control arm mount...both the bolt and fastener are blackish in color.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
i was referring to the post ahead of yours (and joking).

i don't know if i have them or not, all i know is mine look exactly like the diagram in the FSM.

:) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts