Rubicon Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How can I tell the difference between Warn engine skids. I read someone say that the support goes over the DS now (as opposed to under the DS on the old one). What can I look for? and Why does the Warn site say:"excludes Rubicons"?

With the lift I have, can I expect the sparks to fly? (grinder/cut to fit)

I know I should have gone with Skid Row when I made a parts run two months ago, but the Warn should do me fine. And I'm NOT going through THAT again. That was a killer drive.

Thanks, Chris

·
Registered
628 Posts
The support does go over the top on the new ones. I'm not sure why it would say it won't fit because mine fit fine.

Adam

·
Registered
130 Posts
I also have the new Warn/Mopar skid plate installed and love it...for the money it does what I want it to do and that's keep the rocks away from my oil pan...

A few months ago I wrote Warn an email asking why it didn't fit the Rubi according to their website....here is what Todd from Warn replied:

"Curious here. What did you do on the rear of the skid plate to attach it to
the factory crossmember (skid plate)? It our fit ups the two plates did not
line up due to the Rubicon crossmember hanging down about an inch lower than the standard SE, Sport and Sahara models."

I sent him a response indicating that I had no problem installing and it is level and works great--attaches everywhere it should.

And, yes, the bracket goes over the front drive shaft and will now work on lifted jeeps...

·
Registered
167 Posts
I too have the Warn/Mopar skid plate and have had no problems. Someone over on JU forum had one of the newer skids and his DS still hit the support bracket. I talked with a Jeep engineer/tech @ Camp Jeep and told them about the Warn site excluding the Rubicon and he asked around and found nothing about it. If you do get it add another bolt on the TC connection as it comes with 2 and on the passengers side it's a little far from the side. I did and I think after riding over a rock it helped keep it from bending as much. Just my $0.02

G

·
0 Posts
Ditto.
I have the several month old Mopar/Warn skid.
The driver side bracket goes over the top of the diff and it attached at the rear to the oem tc skid without any problems.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
OK thanks guys. I'm pretty sure that they (stealership) is going to dig up an old one out of the warehouse. I take it I'm looking for the bracket on the left side of this photo. (?)

I'll have to wait until it gets here. I might have luck getting them to get a new one from Warn. If not, I might have to make it myself.

Thanks again, Chris

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok, so my skid got here. I think it's the 4 cyl. model. It has two drain holes in it and only has about 4 inches of skid in front of the support bracket. I held it up and it seems like the lip that curves up in the front will just clear the oil pan.

Can someone with the correct skid tell me how far their skid extents past the bolts on the front support arm?

If this works, I might keep it. I think it's best to go back to the dealer and get the correct part. Invoice part No. is 82206335. If I'm correct, the last digit should have been a 4.

Thanks, Chris

G

·
0 Posts
CCraig said:
Can someone with the correct skid tell me how far their skid extents past the bolts on the front support arm?
About 8" to 9" from front skid support bracket to the lip at the front of the skid plate.
Mine has only 1 drain hole, as shown in the pic you posted above.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks Walc,

This one is very short. I think it would work, but down here, I have to pay more than list price after taxes and such. This one is half that long. Time to get what I paid for. This is going to be fun.

Thanks again, Chris

G

·
0 Posts
CCraig,
Best of luck with your return for exchange.
I think it will be worth the trouble for the additional front coverage.
Lee

·
Registered
167 Posts
I'm sorry I don't have the right number (you can find it @ Jeep.com) but I too got the wrong skid the first time I ordered it. They sent me the 4cyl model. The box said on the end 4cyl and it didn't match up right. They told me the reason was the number in the 2003 parts book was wrong and were swithced, they verified this with previous books and DC before sending me the new one. Hope all goes well.

·
Registered
628 Posts
There is a major price gap that I can't understand with these skids. 4wd Hardware advertised them for 125.00 US but I only paid 98.00 CD. Seems a little steep for the same part. Good luck, I haven't had any problems yet it's holding up pretty well.

Adam

G

·
0 Posts
I have the Warn skid installed on mine. And I got mine by ordering it through the dealership.

Mine fit my my Rubicon just fine, however there is a problem with this skid....

It's not tough enough for rock crawling use as delivered. I bent mine while high-centred on a VW Beatle-sized rock last weekend. The weakness comes from the one inch angled edges only being made of the same 1/8 inch steel as the rest of the plate. My solution was to bolt on 1/4 thick strips along the inner edges to reinforce those sides to a thickness of 3/8 inch. This should effectively make the skid three times stronger.

I would suggest to anyone who buys one, to weld on 1/4 inch angle iron along the inner edges, before you install.

Here's some photos of mine before and after the reinforced edges were installed...

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
OK, then. Thanks, Rubiconvict.....

The photos above (that Rubiconvict sent) is the exact skid that was shipped to me.

Is that skid for a 4cyl or 6cyl.?????

The photos of the other skid extends another 3 or 4 inches.

I'm confused. (oh, that's nothing new. sorry)

Thanks, Chris

G

·
0 Posts
That one in those photos which I posted of mine is the Warn skid for the six cylinder, that can be ordered from either the dealership, or from Warn directly.

Just reinforce the edges with angle iron before installation, and you're in busines, and you'll be rock-ready.

8)

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Out of all the mods I've done, this one is a hassle. Well, not really. OME sent me one front and one rear shock. I guess they thought I have the new mono-shock Rubicon.

I have the skid with two holes in it. The P/N is 82206335, which decode to the 4cyl model on the web site, but decodes to the 6cyl model in the dealership Mopar book. ( WrRuAbNiGcLoEnR, you're right)

I think the real part number for the 6cyl is 82206334. Or so says the web site. I think it covers more of the front pan area and has one drain hole in it.???????

I can force the issue with the dealership, but I want to be dead right.

(I knew I should have installed a SkidRow when I was in the U.S.)

I don't do THAT much rocks, so I should be fine with the WARN.

Thanks everyone!!! for your support...

Chris

G

·
0 Posts
My 6 cyl. MOPAR/Warn skid is the style in the photo posted, by CCraig, on 8/12, i.e., 1 oil drain hole ( not 2 ) and much longer ( 6" ?) in the front, than the photo posted by Rubiconvict.

·
Registered
130 Posts
The dealer sold me the skid plate with the 2 drain holes (4 cyl)...it fits nicely and works well for my off-road needs so far, but I wonder if I complained to them, if they'd replace it because it was their error???

What do you guys think?

1 - 20 of 43 Posts